David Nelson = a good James Hardy?

JPicc2114

I know we all wanted a big redzone target 2 years back so the Bills drafted James Hardy. Obviously he didn't work out. Is David Nelson basically what we wanted from James Hardy and were willing to use a 2nd round pick on? If thats the case, David Nelson has second round value in my opinion.

I know we all wanted a big redzone target 2 years back so the Bills drafted James Hardy. Obviously he didn't work out. Is David Nelson basically what we wanted from James Hardy and were willing to use a 2nd round pick on? If thats the case, David Nelson has second round value in my opinion.

Let's just leave Nelson untainted by a comparison to the woefully mis-scouted Hardy.

Hardy was supposed to have speed too, whereas Nelson was known as a "possession" receiver (aka, not a deep threat).

Next year with Steve Johnson, Nelson and Parrish on the field, watch out! If we could get McMichael (TE) from San Diego, wow, we would be dangerous.

McMichael will be 32 next year and even in his starting years was just a servicable TE. I'd be excited for Zach Miller who will be 26 next year and has increased his number of catches each year in Raider land if we go the FA route.

Let's just leave Nelson untainted by a comparison to the woefully mis-scouted Hardy.

Hardy was a 2nd rounder by pretty much every draft person around. Let's not act like the Bills just reached on the guy. He just got injuries and failed to pan out. It happens.

At the same time, Nelson amazes me. I'm a Florida fan and Nelson showed nothing there that he would even make the NFL. I guess you can say he was handcuffed by the offense like Riley Cooper, but Cooper was a much better receiver.

But right now, Nelson is leaps and bounds ahead of most rookie receivers. He knows how to use his height and catches everything. I say a Ed McCaffery comparison and though it's very early, it seems to fit.

If only the Bills could pick 1st and 2nd rounders like 7th and UDFAs.

McMichael will be 32 next year and even in his starting years was just a servicable TE. I'd be excited for Zach Miller who will be 26 next year and has increased his number of catches each year in Raider land if we go the FA route.

I wouldn't mind the Miller signing and we have taken guys off the Oakland scrap heap before, there is also Boss out there who is a big target. My guess is that it is more likely that they will work on developing their own draft prospect, and bring in a serviceable FA to shore up the position. I will be curious to see if they cut Nelson and the associated migrains.

At the same point, why do we need a big name TE? Our receivers are very deep and Chan likes the 4 wide sets, which help out the o line. It sucks that we haven't had a good TE since Jay R. but a guy like David Nelson almost is a TE in the receiving game.

At the same point, why do we need a big name TE? Our receivers are very deep and Chan likes the 4 wide sets, which help out the o line. It sucks that we haven't had a good TE since Jay R. but a guy like David Nelson almost is a TE in the receiving game.

Very true as well. I was just talking through FA options and I do think they willdo something. A "big name" TE isn't going to command much money unless that name is Antonio Gates, Vernon Davis or Jason Witten. The "name" free agents in this class will not be getting huge contracts so it might be worthwhile as it would provide good value for the money. Chan seems to like the TE position since the keep bringing in numerous free agents at TE as people get hurt.

Hardy was a 2nd rounder by pretty much every draft person around. Let's not act like the Bills just reached on the guy. He just got injuries and failed to pan out. It happens.

At the same time, Nelson amazes me. I'm a Florida fan and Nelson showed nothing there that he would even make the NFL. I guess you can say he was handcuffed by the offense like Riley Cooper, but Cooper was a much better receiver.

But right now, Nelson is leaps and bounds ahead of most rookie receivers. He knows how to use his height and catches everything. I say a Ed McCaffery comparison and though it's very early, it seems to fit.

He was poorly scouted. Period. By how many it matters not--we blew the pick on him.

It's easy to feel that way, but tell me this: Marques Colston or Reggie Bush? Those picks were made in the same year by a Saints franchise that was to be a champion someday, but wasn't yet. It'd have been easy to say, sure they can identify a gem like Colston but missed on Bush. Spiller might end up being useful, but not a star. He might be a star, who knows? But you help yourself by doing well with those picks that are made when few are watching.