Is Chris Collington in Love With Bob Brady

Bills99999

Every time Bob Brady completed a pass tonight, even if was a great shoestring catch by the receiver, Chris Collington fell upon his knees to worship him

I'll bet Collington left the bradcast booth right after the game and headed to the Pats locker room to see if he could see Brady take a shower

What a homer

(Did I spell "homer" right?)

Every time Bob Brady completed a pass tonight, even if was a great shoestring catch by the receiver, Chris Collington fell upon his knees to worship him

I'll bet Collington left the bradcast booth right after the game and headed to the Pats locker room to see if he could see Brady take a shower

What a homer

Not sure if this is an attempt at humor, but its Collinsworth.

At one point he actually said of a Brady pass "That's the best pass I have ever seen" :rolleyes: I actually think he might have said it a couple times...

My favorite though was at one pt Wilfork blatantly grabbed the runner by the facemask - and Collinsworth actually said the GB OLineman "forced" him to do it - WTF?! I thought I heard it wrong then he actually repeated it! I turned the sound off after that.

At one point he actually said of a Brady pass "That's the best pass I have ever seen" :rolleyes: I actually think he might have said it a couple times...

My favorite though was at one pt Wilfork blatantly grabbed the runner by the facemask - and Collinsworth actually said the GB OLineman "forced" him to do it - WTF?! I thought I heard it wrong then he actually repeated it! I turned the sound off after that.

That one boggled my mind, somehow the offensive linemen FORCED him to grab the facemask.

I don't know....while I understand and agree with the OP...I'm not convinced that the root cause of this is "homerism".

There is a definite difference between the announcers today, and the announcers in the past. The old announcers(minus the syrupy Pat Summerall and Madden = the originator of this "manufacturing Greatness on air" concept) often seemed genuinely shocked/elated/surprised/whatever, when a big play was made by a big player, or any player. They didn't say stupid things like "well, it was just a matter of time until (douche player) made a big play, because he's from (anywhere) and that means (anything)." Most notably, the difference was: they often didn't say anything, and let the picture tell the story. It was completely unscripted, or, the announcers of old were a hell of a lot better at their jobs than the guys now.

Also, this was before marketing/pr people had the influence they do now. Now, clearly, you can almost hear the NFL marketing people in the room with the production crew and the talent before the game: "Play up Brady. Our stars aren't playing like stars. Mike Vick is playing like the MVP, and for Christ's sake we can't have that."

Remember when Joe Thiesmann said "Tedy Bruschi" 60+ times the game he made a "dramatic" comeback to play us? Same thing. Clearly it backfired, and you think they would have learned. But, not if the poll #s and focus groups say that they liked the Bruschi "story".

It all comes down to the #s. These people would literally say "!@#$stick" 100 times on air if the #s said it was a good idea. They will do whatever you, and everybody else, tells them to do. :D

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Went to Avs-Canadiens last night so I only caught the tail end of the game. Nothing new for announcers to give it up to the likes of Brady, Manning, Favre, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger and now Vick in such a manner and I agree it can get annoying. I know everyone loves Gruden and I do too, but don't tell me it's not cheesy when he says of Manning, "I call this guy the sheriff..." All that stuff aside and I'm sure Collinsworth laid it on pretty thick last night, the bottom line is that Collinsworth is the best color man in the business, period, end of story. This is why he is paired with the greatest announcer maybe ever. They don't hand that job to just anyone people. Believe me, Steve Tasker and his "Fred Jackson is like watching someone pour a glass of water" commentary isn't getting that gig anytime soon. Collinsworth is one of the few men in the business who offers insight above and beyond the football 101 rhetoric that most announcers give you- he actually will tell you stuff that as an advanced football fan, you don't already know, which I appreciate. Guys like Joe Theismann talk to you like you're a housewife watching your first football game. If you don't like Collinsworth, I'm not sure what else to tell ya. Dick Enberg was/is one hell of an announcer, I really miss him doing the late AFC West games.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I normally like Collinsworth, but he definitely had a bad day at the office. My favorite was when he did a complete 180 on the helmet to helmet call. Even after he watched it in slo-mo, he stuck to his guns until the flag was thrown (the refs took 15 seconds to make the call...so they had a rough time on the call too), but Collinsworth would have never changed his mind if the flag wasn't thrown, and he had the luxury of slo-mo replay.

What a homer

Ok......don't really get the name-changing....

...is that supposed to be funny? :blink:

I was going to post the same thing. That was the biggest WTF moment I've had listening to a sports commentator in a long time.