Spiller to WR

I agree as I have argued this should have been the approach from the start. Spiller has actually shown better ability than I expected of him to run in traffic, but to me he is clearly an even more productive player in space, He needs to demonstrate the ability to understand and run routes as designed, but my sense is the highest and best use of him is as a wideout anyway.

Just my supposition here, but I don't think he has enough of a grasp of the offense as a RB, much much much less as a WR. Of course you could always stick him outside and say run a streak pattern, but what good would that do the offense?

Works well for Evans.... oh wait

The more touches the better - and just putting him out there in the slot demands respect from opposition Ds. It's not a bad idea and if he can learn the job to truly useful, you open another roster spot for a body at another position. Roscoe amd Evans are comin back so you don't need to work hard to find a full timer.

He's not a WR he is a RB, he is not tiny For a RB, he is 5-11 200 and to my eye it looks like he is playing with extra 5 to 10 pounds.

He is running between the tackles effectively.

He is averaging 4 yards a carry.

He just isn't getting the touches.

I think it's because he is struggling with blocking assignments.

The Bills offense seems to have a lot of audibles and if they don't have confidence in his blocking ability they may be worried about audibling to a pass play.

He is not a WR. This concept is based on draftnek talk and the use of Reggie Bush not on CJ Spillers actual play.

Freddie Jackson is a complete back. It took him 6 or 7 years and 3 leagues to get there. Freddy is getting the ball in the 4th because he had sure hands and can pass block when needed. CJ is not there yet.

The notion that RBs just plug into an offense out of college is not true.

The position has the easiest transition, yes.

However there are more examples of RB getting better over time than coming in and rushing for 1000 yards.

You can hold his draft position against him if you like, CJ needs to work on pass blocking to get more carries.

Good thing we have OTA s and training camp for that.

If you don't see the potential in the young RB well then you get to be surprised when he puts it together.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Just my supposition here, but I don't think he has enough of a grasp of the offense as a RB, much much much less as a WR. Of course you could always stick him outside and say run a streak pattern, but what good would that do the offense?

I think your second sentence is a better observation than your first.

Spiller would only need to have a few patterns installed for him to help spread the defense. In a four receiver set, he could be sent out into the pattern simply to draw coverage.

No one is saying that he should be made the primary or even secondary receiver. If Fitz knows which vicinity he is in, he can make a visual read and throw underneath to Spiller in space as a checkdown option…get him in space as the OP said.

In fact in camp this year, there was talk of two-running back sets featuring Lynch and Spiller and Jackson and Spiller. Undoubtedly there were some plays drawn up which called for one or the other back to split out and go into the pattern. Oddly, we've seen very little of the two-running back set.

He's not a WR he is a RB, he is not tiny For a RB, he is 5-11 200 and to my eye it looks like he is playing with extra 5 to 10 pounds. So a guy who is quick and fast and has good hands shouldn't occasionally be used as a receiver? Did anyone say he was tiny?

He is running between the tackles effectively. That's debatable but Spiller is getting better as a runner, but no one is arguing to the contrary anyways.

He is averaging 4 yards a carry. Spiller had 123 receptions at Clemson. He averaged 11.5 yards per reception. Why don't you want him used to his full capabilities?

He just isn't getting the touches. Exactly and throwing to him would be the perfect way to get Spiller more touches.

I think it's because he is struggling with blocking assignments. Spiller wouldn't have to worry about pass pro as a wideout or slot receiver.

The Bills offense seems to have a lot of audibles and if they don't have confidence in his blocking ability they may be worried about audibling to a pass play. I think you're making this more complicated than it really is.

He is not a WR. This concept is based on draftnek talk and the use of Reggie Bush not on CJ Spillers actual play. In your attempts not to stereotype Spiller, you are stereotyping Spiller. So people want him to play a little bit of reciever…why are you so concerned that he only be a running back?

Freddie Jackson is a complete back. It took him 6 or 7 years and 3 leagues to get there. Freddy is getting the ball in the 4th because he had sure hands and can pass block when needed. CJ is not there yet. See above.

The notion that RBs just plug into an offense out of college is not true. I can't argue.

The position has the easiest transition, yes. Yes, good.

However there are more examples of RB getting better over time than coming in and rushing for 1000 yards. Also true.

You can hold his draft position against him if you like, CJ needs to work on pass blocking to get more carries. He does, but your thinking is very conventional and inflexible.

Good thing we have OTA s and training camp for that. Yes.

If you don't see the potential in the young RB well then you get to be surprised when he puts it together. I think everyone sees his potential. I think more people would like to tap into it.

WSS, I see where you're going with this. But it doesn't hold water, IMO. Spiller has a very nice skill set. You seem to want to pigeon hole him into being only a running back, while decrying those who would like to see him used as more than just a running back. Marshall Faulk, Bryant Westbrook, Reggie Bush, and others have been used in the past as wide and slot receivers, very effectively. Lining Spiller up on the line of scrimmage isn't rocket science. It doesn't detract from his "status" as a running back. He has the proven ability to catch the ball. And the Bills are very thin at receiver.

I think your second sentence is a better observation than your first.

Spiller would only need to have a few patterns installed for him to help spread the defense. In a four receiver set, he could be sent out into the pattern simply to draw coverage.

No one is saying that he should be made the primary or even secondary receiver. If Fitz knows which vicinity he is in, he can make a visual read and throw underneath to Spiller in space as a checkdown option…get him in space as the OP said.

In fact in camp this year, there was talk of two-running back sets featuring Lynch and Spiller and Jackson and Spiller. Undoubtedly there were some plays drawn up which called for one or the other back to split out and go into the pattern. Oddly, we've seen very little of the two-running back set.

WSS, I see where you're going with this. But it doesn't hold water, IMO. Spiller has a very nice skill set. You seem to want to pigeon hole him into being only a running back, while decrying those who would like to see him used as more than just a running back. Marshall Faulk, Bryant Westbrook, Reggie Bush, and others have been used in the past as wide and slot receivers, very effectively. Lining Spiller up on the line of scrimmage isn't rocket science. It doesn't detract from his "status" as a running back. He has the proven ability to catch the ball. And the Bills are very thin at receiver.

San Jose, Your opinion is more open minded then most fans' opinion.

Yes I agree that Spiller could be lined up in different positions including slot.

I am definitely not saying he should not be used as the dynamic player that he can be.

Motion him out like Faulk and Thurman, line him in the slot. I'm all for it.

However my post is in response to the "Let Spiller prove his draft worth by becoming a WR" or "Spiller's future on the Bills" sentiment.

There are more people saying that Spiller is hopeless at RB and a wasted pick than there are people saying using Spiller more dynamically. I disagree that Spiller is hopeless as a RB. People are saying that he should be a primary or secondary receiver, and thats how I read this thread.

I would like to see a two back set where Spiller is motioned to the slot. What the Bills' offense is doing seems to be working, but I too don't understand why they wouldn't add this wrinkle to the offense.

Edited by Why So Serious?

It looks to me like Spiller has had his two best games as a running back in the last two games.

I don't know if the stats bear this out but he definitely looks like he's more comfortable in our offense.

His runs seem to be more patient and productive.

It would be great to see Spiller break out over the last three weeks and cause our divisional foes major headaches. I wonder if we'll see the Bills take the wraps off of him now at a time when he's trending up and we need him the most.

He's not a WR he is a RB, he is not tiny For a RB, he is 5-11 200 and to my eye it looks like he is playing with extra 5 to 10 pounds.

The Bills offense seems to have a lot of audibles and if they don't have confidence in his blocking ability they may be worried about audibling to a pass play.

He is not a WR. This concept is based on draftnek talk and the use of Reggie Bush not on CJ Spillers actual play.

Freddie Jackson is a complete back. It took him 6 or 7 years and 3 leagues to get there. Freddy is getting the ball in the 4th because he had sure hands and can pass block when needed. CJ is not there yet.

However there are more examples of RB getting better over time than coming in and rushing for 1000 yards.

You can hold his draft position against him if you like, CJ needs to work on pass blocking to get more carries.

If you don't see the potential in the young RB well then you get to be surprised when he puts it together.

He is not big and most backs are done in 6/7 years. The only reason Fred took so long is because he was undrafted out of coe collage (where?)so it took him forever to get a shot and if it wasn't for Marv helping out an alumni he would have never gotten shot. And as far as his draft status goes he should have never been drafted when Bulaga was there and a need and is getting high praise for his play.

:thumbsup: