Charlie Robinson's winners and losers this week

PromoTheRobot

You are what your record says you are.

This is a gross oversimplification.

The 2008 San Diego Chargers started 1-3. Is that what they were? Or were they the team which went 10-2 during the next 12 games?

The Denver Broncos were 6-0 last year. Is that what they were? Or were they the team which went 5-17 during the next 22 games?

The Buffalo Bills were 5-1 in 2008. Is that what they were? Or were they the team which went 5-14 over the next 19 games?

You want to see an up and down franchise, look at Del Rio's Jaguars. What, prey tell, are they?

Teams are constantly evolving. They are either staying the same, getting better, or getting worse. And statistically you would tend to place more weight on more recent events.

Everyone loves to spout the famous Parcells saying which is quoted above.

It holds as much validity as his other famous bullspit "Power Football Wins Championships," which is to say, a bit of validity.

People tend to take comfort in very simple concepts. Unfortunately that approach often prevents these very people from seeing what is actually in front of them.

Detroit with their injured backup QB at home in OP.

Cincinnati team that hasn't beaten the Bills in over 20 years & is in total freefall.

Cleveland with backup, washed up Delhomme at home in OP.

I don't fully get all of the Cleveland bashing. Sure Delhomme looked bad out there, but this is the same Cleveland team that beat New Orleans on the road (with a rookie QB that threw for all of 74 yards), absolutely spanked New England (also with a rookie QB), beat the Fins on the road, and was 2-0 with Delhomme at the helm prior to the Bills game. Plus, they lost close ones to the Jets, Jags, Chiefs, and Ravens, all division leaders (or close) at the time.

This is not a horrible Cleveland team. Delhomme looked crappy, but to me that was part Delhomme and part weather with a big dose of Bills defensive pressure. Personally, I'm giving the Bills a lot of credit for that win.

I don't fully get all of the Cleveland bashing. Sure Delhomme looked bad out there, but this is the same Cleveland team that beat New Orleans on the road (with a rookie QB that threw for all of 74 yards), absolutely spanked New England (also with a rookie QB), beat the Fins on the road, and was 2-0 with Delhomme at the helm prior to the Bills game. Plus, they lost close ones to the Jets, Jags, Chiefs, and Ravens, all division leaders (or close) at the time.

This is not a horrible Cleveland team. Delhomme looked crappy, but to me that was part Delhomme and part weather with a big dose of Bills defensive pressure. Personally, I'm giving the Bills a lot of credit for that win.

Rubes, I see your point but as I said before, I'll wait till after the New England game before I pass judgement.

The Fish and the Jets, like the Browns, are very one-dimensional these days with mediocre to bad quarterback play.

Rubes, I see your point but as I said before, I'll wait till after the New England game before I pass judgement.

The Fish and the Jets, like the Browns, are very one-dimensional these days with mediocre to bad quarterback play.

That's fine, although perhaps not altogether fair given that New England is firing on all cylinders and has completely dismantled teams much better than the Bills in recent weeks (see New York, Pittsburgh, Chicago).

Ask yourself this question. Would you rather have last year's team or this year's team?

Personally, I'll take the 2010 Buffalo Bills over any of the previous 6 or 7 years teams, maybe even longer than that.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I didn't expect the team to be very good initially, but I was hoping that later in the year they would start to come together. Now if they can just spoil somebody's playoff hopes later this month, I'd be happpy.

I've been a fan for 30 years, so when they're losing I look for signs of life. So far so good.

You're missing one thing.

Yes, the players did play hard for Jauron. But there was always a sense of hopelessness and despair surrounding their efforts…like they knew they were heroic losers, never able to get over the hump. They played as if they knew that in the end, they would find a way to lose.

Gailey's team is playing hard because he seems to have instilled in them a belief that they can win. Jauron's teams went down with a wimper. Gailey's team has gone down swinging.

I think anyone who is honest and perceptive about this team would say that this specific difference between Jauron and Gailey is obvious.

Thank you for saying this as I was trying to find words to say why I believe the current situation is better. You hit the nail on the head. I would say additionally:

•  
  • Whether we believe Fitzbeard is the QB of the future or not - he and Gailey are on the same page. I think it will be hard for any QB to come in and unseat Fitz right now - not saying we will not draft one but I highly doubt we will use the first pick to get one.
  • Nix and Gailey are on the same page - their first draft has not so far proven to be stellar but there are no busts in the mix either.
  • Gailey - is not afraid to be decisive and he does not constantly defend the poor play of his team - he is constructive about it but I believe he holds people accountable for results
  • Related to the first point - Fitzbeard is emerging as the leader on the offensive side of the ball and his play is good enough to give him the backing to do so - we need someone on the defense to do the same
  • Historically across the league it has proven easier to turn around defenses that it is to turn around an offense.
  • Like it or not - teams that succeed over the long term have a QB and coach who work well together - teams with powerhouse defenses also do well but generally not year after year - go back to point one above.

The Bills are improving and I believve on an upward trajectory and not simply fighting to hold ground in the middle.

Being realistic about the dismal present and being optimistic and excited about the (now hopefully nearer) future don't have to be mutually exclusive.

3-10 sucks, we all get that. But, if you aren't feeling good about how the team is playing and the direction the organization is moving, you're trying too hard to be sad and Grinchy. :thumbsup:

This team is way better than past years . The Staff seems to be able to game plan and adjust. The O line looks better even when they are playing with 4th string street free agents. The QB actually knows where and when to throw the ball. The new D looks better and better even without much talent.

If we were in the NFC West we would probably be about 9-4 and in 1st place. This years schedule was very tough, but in the long run will make this team better next year.

After free agency and the 2011 draft, I'm imagining that Chan Gailey gets even smarter, and let's face it, you win with superior talent, and the Bills have had a pretty bare cupboard lately! If, and that's a questionable IF, the talent Buddy Nix provides in the offseason is solid, it could propel this team into Tampa Bay Buccaneers level improvement as early as next year. It is always about talent, and I'm cautiously optimistic that element of rebuilding is on its way. Oh yeah, count me as one who sees the progress this year in nearly every phase, and that includes the run defense, of late.

better than our record, blah blah blah, excuses are for losers, we're 3-10. I do agree that the team plays hard for Chan. Although I think that says more about the players we have than Chan because the guys played hard for Dick J too.

1. 3 O/T losses are essntially "ties" in terms of execution for 60 minutes of regulation.

2. Strength of schedule matters.

3. They are obviously a different team than they were at the beginning with Edwards and Lynch starting, and the new management trying to learn what they had.