Giants/Vikings - Snowpocalypse 2010

Just Jack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's likely an exaggeration with the -50 or a worst a once in a long while occurrence

Actually, it's not an exaggeration... The temperature doesn't get that cold -- usually bottoms out around -10, -15. But the windchills are frequently in the -30 to -50 range. It was 0F with -30F windchills at around 10am this morning.

GB is usually a bit warmer, probably because they're on a big body of water. It's still cold there too though. :)

Actually, it's not an exaggeration... The temperature doesn't get that cold -- usually bottoms out around -10, -15. But the windchills are frequently in the -30 to -50 range. It was 0F with -30F windchills at around 10am this morning.

GB is usually a bit warmer, probably because they're on a big body of water. It's still cold there too though. :)

Toasty + 10 in Anchorage today. Sunny, no wind. Maybe 20 inch snow year to date :D

About 7 or 8 years ago I was in Minneapolis for a conference. After one of the sessions, I stopped at the hotel bar for a burger and beer. The barmaid asked me where I was from and I said that I'm from the Washington DC area, but originally came from the Buffalo area. She said, with a totally straight face, "Oh it gets cold there."

My jaw dropped when she said that.

If they know there is a MASSIVE storm coming they'll actually deflate it. They did it back in '93 because the forecast was calling for three feet of heavy snow.

I remember that storm in '93. Stopped at Price Chopper on Erie Blvd, where Paradise Market is now, and saw everyone inside stocking up on French Toast supplies (milk, bread, eggs). Staying in the house all weekend. Driving to work on Monday and still a lot of people not being on the road.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was in Minneapolis for a conference. After one of the sessions, I stopped at the hotel bar for a burger and beer. The barmaid asked me where I was from and I said that I'm from the Washington DC area, but originally came from the Buffalo area. She said, with a totally straight face, "Oh it gets cold there."

My jaw dropped when she said that.

I got that response in Alaska. We really have quite a reputation - but Buffalo is really a better climate that the upper Midwest, Alaska, or rural New England, where I lived for a few years.

I got that response in Alaska. We really have quite a reputation - but Buffalo is really a better climate that the upper Midwest, Alaska, or rural New England, where I lived for a few years.

It's all image -- and Buffalo has an incredibly lousy rep when it comes to winter. Not that winter in Buffalo is without its challenges, but jeez, give us a break for Pete's sake.

ESPN this morning reported that they were contemplating having the game at University of Minnesota stadium, which is an outdoor stadium, but that the g(ay)-men didn't have their winter gear with them so they needed to find a place to play inside. Is it just me or does this reek of some kind of either a) Favre wouldn't be able to extend his streak outside in 0 degree weather, or b) these teams did not want to play in the cold.

I know that's a bit conspiracy theorist but something's just not right with this.

Being from Canada and actually going to a CFL game in -20 C weather this year, I appreciate how awesome cold weather football is so to hear NFL teams complain about the cold gets me.

ESPN this morning reported that they were contemplating having the game at University of Minnesota stadium, which is an outdoor stadium, but that the g(ay)-men didn't have their winter gear with them so they needed to find a place to play inside. Is it just me or does this reek of some kind of either a) Favre wouldn't be able to extend his streak outside in 0 degree weather, or b) these teams did not want to play in the cold.

I know that's a bit conspiracy theorist but something's just not right with this.

Being from Canada and actually going to a CFL game in -20 C weather this year, I appreciate how awesome cold weather football is so to hear NFL teams complain about the cold gets me.

Maybe it is cheaper to move the game, refunds tickets, etc. than to mail a big box of long underwear.

Should be interesting - the Monday night Vikes game will be played at TCF Stadium, home of the Gophers....

Not sure how they'll handle tickets, since The Bank only seats 50k, and the Dome seats 65k....

http://www.startribune.com/local/111867304.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU1yDEmP:QMDCinchO7DU