Peerless is being abused by Atlanta media

freester

I live in Atlanta and the media here feel peerless is a complete bust. While I don't feel he is a number one receiver, he is being blamed for michael vicks inability to read defenses and throw to his receivers. Overall the falcons grossly overpaid for peerless and Donahoe made a brilliant move to secure a first round pick.

I live in Atlanta and the media here feel peerless is a complete bust.  While I don't feel he is a number one receiver, he is being blamed for michael vicks inability to read defenses and throw to his receivers.  Overall the falcons grossly overpaid for peerless and Donahoe made a brilliant move to secure a first round pick.

155836[/snapback]

and draft McGahee with that pick and used that money to sign Takeo Spikes

Michael Vick is a horrible quarterback. The Falcons will not go far this year in the playoffs. I just don't understand how people get off on this guy. He is going to be prone to injury in a few years. He is a good athlete don't get me wrong but when he is putting up huge rushing numbers there is something wrong with your offense. Vick has poor vision of the field because he looks to run first before everything else. A reciever like Peerless needs a pocket passer.

Donahoe made a brilliant move to secure a first round pick.

155836[/snapback]

getting a first for peerless was brilliant.....but letting winfield walk out the door for nothing was a dumb move when he could have been parlayed into some kind of pick the same way peerless was.......obviously there was a market for him.......TD left a pick on the table there.......

getting a first for peerless was brilliant.....but letting winfield walk out the door for nothing was a dumb move when he could have been parlayed into some kind of pick the same way peerless was.......obviously there was a market for him.......TD left a pick on the table there.......

The only way the Bills could have gotten something for Winfield was to FP him. There is NO WAY any team would have given up a draft pick, much less a 1st rounder, PLUS paid him the average of the top-5 CB's, because he's good, but not THAT good.

155894[/snapback]

Brilliant? Nah.

It was a calculated risk that did not work out as planned. Without Price, a Bills team with an improved defense that should have advanced to playoff level in 2003 turned into a team with no passing game AT ALL. The hangover carried into this year and may have cost the Bills another playoff appearance. Price hasn't been successful in Atlanta, but he was a great fit here and everything considered I see no reason to believe he wouldn't still be a big playmaker.

Months before FA hit, I was vocal a believer that the Bills could and should get a #1 for Peerless, it was simple logic because there was a hungry market and because he wasn't worthy of the huge dollars that market would pay, but I also felt they needed to replace him with at least a temporary deep threat, which they had opportunity to do and did not. Who? Terry Glenn, Marcus Robinson? They needed to roll the dice there. Both made more plays than the grossly overhyped Josh Reed.

They blew it big time with Josh Reed. First they invested an early second round pick on him, then they trusted him to fill a role he was ill equipped for. Oh, and it turns out he sucks at what he was equipped for too! I had hoped becoming an afterthought in the passing game and having all the pressure off of him would improve his hands, but naturally, he dropped another easy one last week in Miami.

In the end, the Bills ended up HAVING to use the 13th pick in the 2004 draft to replace Price. I think they got a better player, but they should have because Price was NOT a #13 overall pick and only was worth a later #1 to Atlanta because he was proven productive, developed and in his prime. His polish was supposed to cover up Vick's lack thereof. They ended up with a couple mismatched parts.

Letting Winfield walk, on the other hand, was the way to go. While Price was the emerging star of the WR market two offseasons ago, Winfield was well down the list of available CB's. While some wondered if Price could be a #1 receiver, there was no questioning what Winfield had and did not have. Ultimately, you can't pay non-playmakers in the secondary. Winfield has made a few high profile plays, but could have made a lot more. I don't think it's an aberration that their ballhawking secondary is suddenly not so ballhawking anymore. Now that he is out with injuries it will be interesting to see if their secondary returns to form.

Signing Troy Vincent hasn't turned out well at all, but the difference in the "real" cost of his contract vs. Winfields lessens the blow and McGee has developed into the type of #2 corner/playmaker this defense needed. So unlike last year, when Moulds went down and there was nobody AT ALL to step up, if Clements went down, the Bills could still march out McGee and, apparently, now Vincent.

Moulds' injury in the 5th game of the season, and Reed's decline rather than improvement, were 2 unforeseen events last year that hurt the Bills tremendously. With Price, TD made the right move, brilliant (the Cards could have done the same thing with Boston, but didn't, and he was considered THE premiere WR in FA) or not, and got a player who should prove to be MUCH better and more important than Price would have been.

How the hell did we get a first round pick for him. A first! For Peerless Price! I mean, think about it. I think it inflated everyone's expectations for Travis - I mean, I think he's worth a lot more than Peerless, we should get more! Unfortunately, we won't find anyone that dumb again. Probably.

Brilliant?  Nah.

It was a calculated risk that did not work out as planned.  Without Price, a Bills team with an improved defense that should have advanced to playoff level in 2003 turned into a team with no passing game AT ALL. The hangover carried into this year and may have cost the Bills another playoff appearance.  Price hasn't been successful in Atlanta, but he was a great fit here and everything considered I see no reason to believe he wouldn't still be a big playmaker.

155951[/snapback]

In the long run, 2003 will have been an important step for the Bills. The 6-10 record caused us to replace our coaching staff. We used our high draft position to get Lee Evans; a player who is really coming into his own.

Let's say the Bills had signed Terry Glenn instead of Bobby Shaw. Let's say that Glenn's ability to stretch defenses turned out to be worth an extra three wins in 2003. Gregg Williams would have probably kept his job. We'd have Kevin "Kill Drew" Gilbride to run our offense. Our offense started running out of steam in the second half of 2002, as defenses learned that you stop a Gilbride/Drew offense by sending blitzers up the middle. In 2003, Gilbride showed zero ability to adapt to the personnel he was given. That convinced me he was pretty much a one-trick pony. Even if you gave Gilbride another Peerless, I still think the second half of 2002 would be about the best our offensive team could have done with him as coordinator.

In the long run, 2003 will have been an important step for the Bills. The 6-10 record caused us to replace our coaching staff. We used our high draft position to get Lee Evans; a player who is really coming into his own.

Let's say the Bills had signed Terry Glenn instead of Bobby Shaw. Let's say that Glenn's ability to stretch defenses turned out to be worth an extra three wins in 2003. Gregg Williams would have probably kept his job. We'd have Kevin "Kill Drew" Gilbride to run our offense. Our offense started running out of steam in the second half of 2002, as defenses learned that you stop a Gilbride/Drew offense by sending blitzers up the middle. In 2003, Gilbride showed zero ability to adapt to the personnel he was given. That convinced me he was pretty much a one-trick pony. Even if you gave Gilbride another Peerless, I still think the second half of 2002 would be about the best our offensive team could have done with him as coordinator.

It was worth going 6-10 to get rid of the that coaching staff. Getting the coaches the Bills did was just a bonus!

How the hell did we get a first round pick for him.  A first!  For Peerless Price!  I mean, think about it.  I think it inflated everyone's expectations for Travis - I mean, I think he's worth a lot more than Peerless, we should get more!  Unfortunately, we won't find anyone that dumb again.  Probably.

156047[/snapback]

The good news is that we only have to find *one* team that is that dumb... :(

Moulds' injury in the 5th game of the season, and Reed's decline rather than improvement, were 2 unforeseen events last year that hurt the Bills tremendously.  With Price, TD made the right move, brilliant (the Cards could have done the same thing with Boston, but didn't, and he was considered THE premiere WR in FA) or not, and got a player who should prove to be MUCH better and more important than Price would have been.

155955[/snapback]

The DEPTHS of Reed's horrible play were unforseen, but there were PLENTY of sportswriters/analysts who didn't think he could fill Price's shoes as a #2. But then again, aren't ALL early round busts considered "unforseen" by those who drafted them? You don't get mull-agains on draft day and when you use an early pick on a guy who is too slow and too small, he damn well better pan out. They left themselves with nothing when Moulds got hurt. They were a little smarter this time when Winfield left, signing Vincent(with an eye toward a future at free safety) to assure they didn't end up with nothing at CB if Clements got hurt or McGee didn't progress.

Boston? How soon people forget that he was off of most teams FA list altogether because of his reputation as a head case, a user of crack cocaine, and concerns about his body being able to carry all the muscle weight he put on while using the steroids he was known to be taking. The Chargers, a John Butler front office team, pretty much outbid themselves for his services when Arizona declined to tag him, something Butler did with so many of his own FA's in Buffalo.

Brilliant?  Nah.

It was a calculated risk that did not work out as planned.  Without Price, a Bills team with an improved defense that should have advanced to playoff level in 2003 turned into a team with no passing game AT ALL. The hangover carried into this year and may have cost the Bills another playoff appearance.  Price hasn't been successful in Atlanta, but he was a great fit here and everything considered I see no reason to believe he wouldn't still be a big playmaker.

Months before FA hit, I was vocal a believer that the Bills could and should get a #1 for Peerless,  it was simple logic because there was a hungry market and because he wasn't worthy of the huge dollars that market would pay, but I also felt they needed to replace him with at least a temporary deep threat, which they had opportunity to do and did not.  Who?  Terry Glenn, Marcus Robinson?  They needed to roll the dice there.  Both made more plays than the grossly overhyped Josh Reed.

They blew it big time with Josh Reed.  First they invested an early second round pick on him, then they trusted him to fill a role he was ill equipped for.  Oh, and it turns out he sucks at what he was equipped for too!  I had hoped becoming an afterthought in the passing game and having all the pressure off of him would improve his hands, but naturally, he dropped another easy one last week in Miami. 

In the end, the Bills ended up HAVING to use the 13th pick in the 2004 draft to replace Price.  I think they got a better player, but they should have because Price was NOT a #13 overall pick and only was worth a later #1 to Atlanta because he was proven productive, developed and in his prime.  His polish was supposed to cover up Vick's lack thereof.  They ended up with a couple mismatched parts.

Letting Winfield walk, on the other hand, was the way to go.  While Price was the emerging star of the WR market two offseasons ago,  Winfield was well down the list of available CB's.  While some wondered if Price could be a #1 receiver, there was no questioning what Winfield had and did not have.  Ultimately, you can't pay non-playmakers in the secondary.  Winfield has made a few high profile plays, but could have made a lot more.  I don't think it's an aberration that their ballhawking secondary is suddenly not so ballhawking anymore.  Now that he is out with injuries it will be interesting to see if their secondary returns to form.

Signing Troy Vincent hasn't turned out well at all,  but the difference in the "real" cost of his contract vs. Winfields lessens the blow and McGee has developed into the type of #2 corner/playmaker this defense needed.  So unlike last year, when Moulds went down and there was nobody AT ALL to step up, if Clements went down, the Bills could still march out McGee and, apparently, now Vincent.

155951[/snapback]

I agree in theory with what you said about Peerless but in reality it doesn't seem like there was much he could do, so getting McGahee out of the PP situation was, indeed, brilliant. If he didnt franchise Peerless, PP STILL would have signed a 40 million contract with the Falcons. I don't suppose you would be in favor of paying a #2 WR 40 million to go with Moulds 40 mil would you?

Granted, they blew it by not signing another speed guy but that is besides the point, or better, a different point. Not many, if any, GMs would have franchised Peerless and then played the game as well as TD did and get the #1. He knew that Blank was going to blink.

They had an article today in the Atlanta Urinal Constitution on how Crumpler is going to be the recevier for the rest of the year and they don't expect the other receivers to catch more than 40 balls this season.

The Falcons are the worst team in the league with a winning record. Vick is overrated and so is Price.

156069[/snapback]

Whoa slow down there, you're getting ahead of the actual situation the Bills are in now.

I like Mularkey, but he and his staff haven't REALLY done anything yet. He was expected to compete for a playoff spot. Who is to say two years from now that we won't be saying "we should have seen it coming that Mularkey couldn't get his team off to a good start", or that his gagdet plays were "wicky-wacky" or that he was slow to identify players in decline or start more deserving young players(see Henry over McGahee early this year).

Mularkey has a good deal more operating talent to work with than Williams ever had, and there was a belief at one point that Williams got a great deal out of a lousy 2001 team and did fairly well to get a one-dimensional team to .500 in 2002. There were signs, more glaring in retrospect, that he wasn't going to be able to take a team to the next level, but there have been marks against Mularkey too that we will forget if he ever leads them to a Super Bowl victory.

The only way the Bills could have gotten something for Winfield was to FP him.  There is NO WAY any team would have given up a draft pick, much less a 1st rounder, PLUS paid him the average of the top-5 CB's, because he's good, but not THAT good.

155948[/snapback]

the vikes or the jets would have gladly coughed up a pick (maybe not a first, but something is better then nothing) and then worked out a deal with him, just like the falcons did with price.......they both wanted him and made their intentions very obvious........

the vikes or the jets would have gladly coughed up a pick (maybe not a first, but something is better then nothing) and then worked out a deal with him, just like the falcons did with price.......they both wanted him and made their intentions very obvious........

They wanted him, but whether they would have coughed-up a pick as well is anyone's guess. And very few teams franchise players and trade them, much less for anything other than a 1st rounder.