Budda

Team Needs

•Quarterback

•Offensive Tackle

•Defensive End

•Linebackers

Which Free Agents Could Be Added?

Quarterbacks

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both free agents after the season, but there's no way they are leaving their current teams.

Matt Moore, Kyle Orton, Matt Hasselback, and Alex Smith's contracts are also up at the end of the season, but they haven't gotten the job done wherever they have been, and that wouldn't change in Buffalo.

Michael Vick will also enter free agency, but his price tag will be too steep, and remember, he is 31 years old. By the time his supporting cast is ready to make that jump, he will likely be retiring.

For quarterback, wait until April.

Offensive Linemen

Jared Gaither was a favorite of many Bills fans to trade for during the offseason, and he will become a free agent at season's end. He is on injured reserve as of now, and with the Ravens doing just fine with Marshall Yanda in his place, Gaither's price tag may have dropped just a bit.

He can play both left and right tackle, and he is an absolute monster. The guy is 6'9" and 340 pounds, and has arms as long as telephone poles. His pass blocking is solid, and he can open holes for the run like no other.

I'd like the Bills to sign him long-term, as he is still ripe at 24 years old.

Jermon Bushrod took over for Jammal Brown after the New Orleans Saints traded the Pro Bowl left tackle to the Washington Redskins, and the Saints will try to keep Bushrod at all costs. The reigning Super Bowl champions also may have a better sales pitch than 92-year old Ralph Wilson could deliver.

Defensive Line

Johnny Jolly has been a forgotten man after his arrest for possession of codeine during the offseason, and has been dealing with legal issues, but he was a force on the Packers front seven last season, recording 34 tackles, a sack, and defending ten passes. Not bad stats for a 6'3" 325 pounder who could play both end and tackle in the 3-4.

Linebackers

Manny Lawson of the San Francisco 49ers is the sexy prospect here, but the Niners will probably want to keep their strong linebacking nucleus of Patrick Willis and Parys Haralson together.

However, Lawson is just 26 years old, and has surprising speed and strength for a 6'5" 240 pound linebacker. Last year he has 68 tackles and 6.5 sacks, and has already racked up 37 tackles, two sacks, and forced two fumbles this year.

His price tag may be steep, but with Shawne Merriman obviously leaving Buffalo, there may be room for Manny.

Antwan Applewhite of the San Diego Chargers isn't really a household name, but I'd love him on the Bills. He's 24 years old out of San Diego State, but as a restricted free agent, it may be difficult to acquire him.

Others: Kevin Burnett (SD), Stephen Cooper (SD), Kirk Morrison (Jacksonville)

2011 NFL Draft: Who Do The Bills Choose?

With multiple holes to fill on both sides of the field, the Bills will have some big decisions to make come draft day.

First Round Options:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford- Andrew Luck is ranked as the top overall prospect in college football, leading the Stanford Cardinal to a No. 4 ranking, and a trip to the Orange Bowl.

Luck has passed for over 3,000 yards, tossing 28 touchdowns on the year, and has mobility to extend plays with his legs. His 6'4", 235 pound frame is prototypical of what you look for in a passer, and he has excellent pocket presence.

With the Carolina Panthers and the Cincinnati Bengals additionally looking at the No. 1 pick, they may opt to draft Luck, despite the fact that the Panthers gave Matt Moore the reigns of their offense just a season ago, and used their second round draft pick last year to select Jimmy Clausen, out of Notre Dame.

The Bengals still have Carson Palmer under center, a former No. 1 overall pick, but he isn't playing like the Carson Palmer of a few seasons ago, and Cincinnati may use another No. 1 overall pick on a quarterback.

DE/DT Marcel Dareus, Alabama- As I stated previously, the Bills are aging on the defensive line, and adding Alabama nose tackle Marcel Dareus could bring some much needed physicality to the front seven. At 6'3" 305 pounds, Dareus could slide from tackle to end in the 3-4.

Dareus is a dominating pass rusher, and can push blockers out of position, and despite his size, he has great ability to use swim moves and get to the quarterback. He's stout against the run as well, and doesn't get beat often.

The only knock on him is his work ethic, as some scouts have noted that he gives up a bit early on plays, and has always played in a rotation. Not sure if he's worth a top five pick just yet.

DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson- The Bills selected a Clemson Tiger with their first pick last year in C.J. Spiller, and they may be in prime position to grab another elite prospect this year. Da;Quan Bowers has shot up draft boards with his outstanding play this year. He is listed as 280, and is a smaller end for the 3-4 scheme, but his superior strength and at 6'4", he still has room to add some bulk.

Bowers has racked up 16 sacks this year, adding 61 tackles, with over 20 for a loss. There is no question that he has NFL ability, but the Bills will need to evaluate whether he can fit the 3-4 scheme they wish to use on a full-time basis.

CB Patrick Peterson, Louisiana State- I know, I know. The Bills need a quarterback. They need an offensive lineman. But they also need a dominating, game changing, defensive player. That game changing player is Patrick Peterson. No offensive linemen are clear cut as last year's class of Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis, and company, and if Andrew Luck is off the board, I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy Nix went with the next best available player. We did draft C.J. Spiller when we already had Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.

Peterson is a lockdown corner, and despite the fact that teams rarely target him, he still has 21 tackles and four interceptions. He's a threat in the return game, and at 6'1" 211 pounds, he will be able to face off with the big receivers in the division like Brandon Marshall and Braylon Edwards.

OT Nate Solder, Colorado- Definitely not worthy of a top three pick, but if the Bills trade down to acquire more picks, Solder would be the choice here. At 6''8", he has room to add significant bulk. He has started every game for Colorado at left tackle for the past three seasons, and is extremely athletic for his size. If you watch him, he is very agile, and uses great footwork, and rarely lets a defender get behind him.

------------------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=------------------------------

i borrowed this from a post on BILLIEVERS.COM

idk where the guy got it but its a nice write up...

personally I want luck. I think Panthers will take Bowers, i live in Carolina and they really want a disruptive defensive force that will help them forget they lost their Local Franchise leader in Peppers. Cinci scares me, IF they think Palmer can get it done but maybe needs some new young Pieces then AJ Green goes to Cinci then Luck could fall into our lap. I would not want to take that chance. Not at all. Luck is a 1 of a kind player IMO. We messed up our shot with a top 5 pick and took bust Mike Williams (when a player like the starting LT for the Vikings was like 5 spots lower who's been a beast). We need to hit on this draft big time.

Keep Fitz as the QB we need in no particular order

LT (If you aren't sold on Bell)

RT (Big time need no matter what)

2 OLB's (There is no pass rush)

1 MLB (Poz should be the 2nd best MLB)

1 or 2 DE's (Carrington might be a good 3-4 DE but there needs to be an improvement)

Tightend

The teams should focus on getting an OLB round 1, RT in round 2, and then trade up into the second and take a MLB. Thus addressing the run D a bit by grabbing 2 LB's and helping out the O-line with a RT. It wouldn't be a cure all but it would address some of the teams bigger needs.

For Free Agency they should target depth. We need to find another guard and tackle to provide depth for the O-line. Also the team should seek out a quality blocking tightend to add to the mix. Also the team should try and find a good backup MLB just to backup Poz.

Its all about trying to plug as many holes as possible and move forward.

gaither is too injury prone but i guess worth it if he takes an incentive based contract. logan mankins is a guy that would be great on the interior line for us. the bills i guess are going to a combo 3-4, 4-3 so that kelsay and williams can be used effectively but the bills would also want to make a real pitch to david harris. if luck is there we take him and let him sit behind fitzy for a year like kitna did for palmer. with a lb corp of moats, harris, poz and a 2nd round pick on someone.

I agree with Jolly , I mentioned him before. He would be a great fit to our D line. Would also like to add a rotational guy like Gabe Watson a true 3/4 nose tackle, the addition of these two players would give them great flexabilty and allow them to use multiple fronts. Lets face it Stroud had no place on this team .

Qb I would guess Thigpen(free agent ) comes aboard back up Fitz. I believe he is a free agent

I could see a tight end or even two added. Matt Spleath from Pittsburgh mkes a lot of sense, they seem to like grabbling players they are familiar with. Jeff King would also be a relatively cheap useful addition.

and finally I would keep an eye on Willie Colon, according to Rotoworld he is unsigned after this year. Again another player that Haley has a past with. If fully recovered would round out a young a developing Offensive line. Bell, Levitre , Urbik or Hhandy, Wood and Colon , with Howard, Wrotto and Wang as back ups .

That would allow the draft to be heavy on Linebackers. Quinn in the first , maybe Upshaw in the third . Second round then could become a best available/need player weather it be a Qb , corner, another d line man or even an additional linebacker .

The team is really not that far off from playoff contention.

If the Bills had eleven first round draft picks, then I would pick eleven defensive players that proved in college that they can tackle a running back with a football in his hands. Then eleven more in the second round just to be sure.