Banker suggests way to keep Bills

DPR4444

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article267205.ece

"A 25-year-old Washington, D.C., investment banker whose family roots run deeply through Buffalo soil has an interesting idea -- a financial plan he thinks could help keep the Bills here over the long term.

Under Stevens Brady's plan, fans would loan money to the next owner of the Buffalo Bills by purchasing low-interest bonds -- called Bills Bonds -- that would reduce a new owner's often-choking interest payments..............."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A 25-year-old Washington, D.C., investment banker whose family roots run deeply through Buffalo soil has an interesting idea -- a financial plan he thinks could help keep the Bills here over the long term.

Under Stevens Brady's plan, fans would loan money to the next owner of the Buffalo Bills by purchasing low-interest bonds -- called Bills Bonds -- that would reduce a new owner's often-choking interest payments..............."

If a prospective owner can't handle the debt load on the franchise he shouldn't buy it. If the numbers don't add up then they don't add up. Why would any buyer put himself in a situation where he is leveraged so much that there is little prospect for solvency? Do you think any bank is going to be interested in loaning money on such a large scale if there are conerns about the required cash/flow?

Anyone who is going to buy the Bills will have to sell some of his/her assets to get the crushing debt load to a manageable level. Buying the Bills is not about nostalgia or sentiment, it is a business transaction that is either sustainable or not.

Why don't the Seneca Indians just buy the Bills they have bags of Tax free cash, move the Bills to Silver Creek build a stadium and collect all that revenue tax free for years !

Why don't the Seneca Indians just buy the Bills they have bags of Tax free cash, move the Bills to Silver Creek build a stadium and collect all that revenue tax free for years !

There are many ways to make buying a team a worth while investment. What this young banker is suggesting is a perfectly legitimate method for fans to get involved. It is a viable way to encourage new owners to stay in Buffalo after Ralph passes away.

It's a clever idea, for sure. But as pointed out in his thread on the topic, the enforcement of the stipulation that the owner could not move the team or sell the team to another owner who may move the team would likely not be enforcable, or a deal breaker.

That's great! Free Cigs AND Gas for all you Season Ticket Holders. :thumbsup:

Anything to keep the Bills in town

Wait, "Bills Bonds" guy is a 25 year old "investment banker"???

What is he investing? His tooth fairy money? His paper route money?

I am wearing sox older than 25.

there are lots of things to make fun of but i don't think his age is one of them. there are plenty of younger people who have had great success in their lives. It seems a bit short sighted to just "write it off" due to someone's age.

Wait, "Bills Bonds" guy is a 25 year old "investment banker"???

What is he investing? His tooth fairy money? His paper route money?

I am wearing sox older than 25.

He's young... therefore he has no credibility and his ideas shouldn't be considered. :blink:

It's clear you've gained much wisdom from your years on this earth.

He's young... therefore he has no credibility and his ideas shouldn't be considered. :blink:

It's clear you've gained much wisdom from your years on this earth.

Relax, ladies. I've given him props and had a good back and forth with him in his thread on this topic. However, I would venture that not many billionaires would entrust their wealth to a man 3 years out of the dorms. It doesn't happen. I doubt you would either. Doesn't mean he doens't have interesting ideas.

Wisdom comes not with age, but experience, "Nostradamus". That was the point of my gentle dig.

Relax, ladies. I've given him props and had a good back and forth with him in his thread on this topic. However, I would venture that not many billionaires would entrust their wealth to a man 3 years out of the dorms. It doesn't happen. I doubt you would either. Doesn't mean he doens't have interesting ideas.

Wisdom comes not with age, but experience, "Nostradamus". That was the point of my gentle dig.

That's why the money would have to be "entrusted" to the financial institution which would run the bond process, and presumably they would provide a suitably grey-haired face.

While I love the idea and it may help to transition the team to an owner who wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo it fails to address a huge issue. The Ralph is arguably not an "NFL ready" stadium by today's standards. Somewhere along the line the NFL owners will exert pressure to replace it with a stadium that can generate more revenue. IMO this is the single largest stone tied around the neck of small market teams. Assuming that the somehow the financing for a stadium that would cost around a billion is secured it is hard to imagine how it is made economically viable in WNY.

Perhaps the economic downturn has given the owners some pause in their quest to build stadiums that are meant to attract big corporate money vs. the average Joe. If so, I suspect the thought will not be long lived.

So, there is an appetite in Buffalo to buy up to $1 Billion in undervalued bonds? 50,000 people willing to lend $20,000 interest free (or very close) to keep the Bills in Buffalo?