The Best Ever

Mr. WEO

Amen

A career cut way too short but at his healthy best, Bo Jackson was unstoppable.

Is that a picture of the real Green Lightning from about 1984. If so, I don't see how that was supposed to look like a dancing penis?

Jim Brown/O.J. Simpson

+1

If I was choosing a team and had to pick two rb's at the height of their game it would be Brown and OJ.

This is probably the most fun football discussion. Clearly Payton, Smith, amd Sanders weren't as good as OJ.

I never really saw OJ get caught from behind. Brown would plow through people. Sayers had the style but never had a thousand yard season but fun to watch. OJ will never get the full credit and maybe he doesn't deserve to but he was the 2nd best rb of all time.

Edited by VADC Bills

While QB's, receivers,and defenders from recent years may have more skill than those from the 60's and 70's, I think the quality of running backs has declined from the past.

If you are old enough to remember Jim Brown, you would have to put him first, by a long shot, above all other backs. I have never seen that pure, violent, physical power in another player, at any position, in any sport.

For second best, with a great blend of power and speed you need to pick the Juice. I believe he is the fastest Bills running back ever.For years after he retired I had difficulty watching some very good Bills runners ( Thurman, Joe Cribs) without noticing how long they took to get up to full speed. With OJ, you got maximum speed from the first step.

When Fergie was a rookie, the Bills faced 9 men in the box on every play, and still the Juice was making great runs.

OJ may be a low life bum who should remain locked up forever, but he certainly was the most dominant player that ever suited up for the Bills.

No, he is not the best ever. Any back you have to take out on short yardage and goal line could never be the best. He was the most shifty and fun to watch but not the best. I would have to say Emmit Smith was with his longevity, rushing records, superbowls and and touchdowns.

Emmitt Smith had one of the best-ever OLs to block for him. Barry Sanders had a mediocre line.

Emmitt Smith had a Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jay Novacek passing game to take the pressure off the running game. Barry Sanders had nothing to take the pressure off the running game besides Herman Moore.

Barry Sanders averaged 5.0 yards per carry for his entire career. Emmitt Smith only had one season where he reached or exceeded 5.0 yards per carry (out of 15 total seasons played). Smith's career average was 4.2 yards per carry; despite having had one of the best OLs in NFL history to block for him.

You tell me which was the better back.

And I could tell you that if Sanders had the O line blocking for him that Smith did he would have had way more yards then anyone Smith all thou good was not as great as Sayers,Brown,Dickerson,Payton, and Sanders

You missed the point of short yardage and goal line, which no line could overcome.

Is that a picture of the real Green Lightning from about 1984. If so, I don't see how that was supposed to look like a dancing penis?

It is a real picture of it but I couldn't find a pic that had the neon lit up. It was a sequential dancing penis with a top hat and cane that the artist said was Mr. Peanut. Jimmy Griffen wasn't amused and ordered it bulldozed. A court order stopped it. It was set on Elmwood Ave. Nice catch.

Emmitt Smith had one of the best-ever OLs to block for him. Barry Sanders had a mediocre line.

Emmitt Smith had a Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jay Novacek passing game to take the pressure off the running game. Barry Sanders had nothing to take the pressure off the running game besides Herman Moore.

Barry Sanders averaged 5.0 yards per carry for his entire career. Emmitt Smith only had one season where he reached or exceeded 5.0 yards per carry (out of 15 total seasons played). Smith's career average was 4.2 yards per carry; despite having had one of the best OLs in NFL history to block for him.

You tell me which was the better back.

see comments above