New NC law makes it illegal to have license plate cover

boyst

i think they should make DRIVING illegal for north carolinians....is the speed limit there really 85?...if you don't speed up or get out of the way, you get run over.

What an awesome state!

How hard is it to look in the rear view mirror, see a faster moving car and get out of the way?

we got caught outside of bristol by one of the cameras and the summons came from the town of blountville.

If I remember correctly the fines are collected by an independent agency in AZ. You can check in to it, but unless things have changed in the last year there is a loophole where you do not have to pay. I knew a couple people that went to the Bristol race and got the ticket. I guess that the speed limit is changed during race weekend to 45 vs 55 and they make loads of money. They are trying to get those camera's banned.

What an awesome state!

How hard is it to look in the rear view mirror, see a faster moving car and get out of the way?

pretty hard when you're on congested highways around raleigh-durham or charlotte and when lane changing by folks doing 80-85 becomes a game of chicken. driving the nascar experience doing 100 at bristol is a lot safer!

We've had this capability for about a year now.

Does it actually work? It's been a while since I was last in a patrol car, but all the technology that was promised never seemed to work the way they said it would.....

What an awesome state!

Depends how many people you are sending text messages to at the moment.

The technology has really made a patrol officer's job safer. Now when you stop a vehicle your tag reader will zoom in on the tag and:

1) Read off DMV information to you, including vehicle registration information, make, model and color of vehicle. (good for IDing tags that don't belong on a vehicle)

2) Check for stolen status.

3) Check the vehicle's tag in active BOLOs (also known as ABP)over the past 7 days.

4) Tell you the history of the vehicle. Who has stopped that vehicle and what was the outcome.

5) It runs the vehicle owner's information for Driver History, Wanted Status, Terrorist Watch List and history with law enforcement (including witness, victim and suspect info). If the vehicle owner has violent tendencies or is known to carry a weapon, it will let you know of that.

That sounds better than SCMODS!

Edited by KD in CT

Depends how many people you are sending text messages to at the moment.

That sounds better than SCMODS!

It is illegal to do that here, too. No surfing the internet, no checking emails. However, you can use your phones GPS and make calls without a headset. I find it funny that they ban all of that yet no one talks about banning eating while driving. Most of the bad drivers I see eating - go look at your local fast foot strip, ya know, that mile where there are about 2 dozen artery clogging shops.

Does it actually work? It's been a while since I was last in a patrol car, but all the technology that was promised never seemed to work the way they said it would.....

Yes, Chautauqua County has a car equipped to this along with most NYSP barracks have one car equipped to do it. When I did my RADAR/LIDAR training I got to work in the CCSD car and got to play with it. It works extremely well and we made two stops because of it. One for an outstanding warrant in the drivers name and another for expired registration.

I may be wrong... But I think the theory here may be those new opaque covers that can be activated... They use them at car shows to hide the tag. What happens is that a person hits the switch and the license plate is opaqued out. So cameras and whatever can not get the number. By outlawing all covers, it solves the problem... I guess... Because they will just give you a ticket upon seeing any cover.

That father-son winner combo in FLA sure could have used on of those new fangled devices! ;)

Now.. What happens if the person is from out-of-state with a cover?

Yes, Chautauqua County has a car equipped to this along with most NYSP barracks have one car equipped to do it. When I did my RADAR/LIDAR training I got to work in the CCSD car and got to play with it. It works extremely well and we made two stops because of it. One for an outstanding warrant in the drivers name and another for expired registration.

Not trying to split hairs here, but, so you really don't know if it works as advertised. You only know that you rode in a vehicle equipped with this equipment and it twice told you about an offender. You have no way to know if it missed other offenders.

I know, I'm being a smart ass, but I had to say it......

Not trying to split hairs here, but, so you really don't know if it works as advertised. You only know that you rode in a vehicle equipped with this equipment and it twice told you about an offender. You have no way to know if it missed other offenders.

I know, I'm being a smart ass, but I had to say it......

If the vehicle has an out of date reg it will find it everytime because it takes a picture of every license plate it passes and processes it instantly against the NY DMV database and it also processes with NCIC and Amber Alert for anything outstanding. So yes I would say as long as the information is in the system it works every time.

Not to mention, license plates look terrible without a plate cover.

Yes, an uncovered plate sure takes away from the aesthetic of the truck balls hanging from a typical NC vehicle. :rolleyes:

Just another stupid law

I understand the importance for officers to see the tag number clearly and the registration being important. However, each year the color of the sticker changes and it is a dead give away if it is expired, not to mention that the part on the upper left hand means nothing! What is more interesting is that NC will soon have it's first ever toll road in the western part of Raleigh. It will not collect money at a booth and it will take pictures of your license plate and then send you a bill! That sounds like a real winning idea! Especially, because I am sure it will be run by a private company. Basically, this is a law made to help the toll road work that law officers support because it makes sense! Not to mention, license plates look terrible without a plate cover.

Also, many of us do live in NC and i just wanted to let ya'll know!

Had to pull my bills license plates off both cars. One fully concealed the state ( its not like all state license plates look the same ) and the other partially. wonder if they will pull over people from other states that have covers?

Had to pull my bills license plates off both cars. One fully concealed the state ( its not like all state license plates look the same ) and the other partially. wonder if they will pull over people from other states that have covers?

I guess I'll have to pull mine off too, the state is partially concealed on mine as well but everything else is visible.

If the vehicle has an out of date reg it will find it everytime because it takes a picture of every license plate it passes and processes it instantly against the NY DMV database and it also processes with NCIC and Amber Alert for anything outstanding. So yes I would say as long as the information is in the system it works every time.

Not if you have one of these

:pirate:

Also check out post #13!

:pirate: :pirate:

Great if you are going through the open road toll booth!

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois