A "Front 7" Mock Draft

Astrobot

I don't know much about College football. How many of these are One year wonders? We have been bit by the likes of Flowers, and Maybins...I want players who can come in and contribute....not sit and learn. This team needs more of the types of Orakpo and Mathews.

Also, how does this draft fix the Run Defense...Everyone agrees that Kyle Williams will be the anchor of this defense and Troupe will get his chance down the road. Yet, there has been no explanation on how teams are successful against our run defense.

I don't know much about College football. How many of these are One year wonders? We have been bit by the likes of Flowers, and Maybins...I want players who can come in and contribute....not sit and learn. This team needs more of the types of Orakpo and Mathews.

Also, how does this draft fix the Run Defense...Everyone agrees that Kyle Williams will be the anchor of this defense and Troupe will get his chance down the road. Yet, there has been no explanation on how teams are successful against our run defense.

Quinn is the one year wonder, that only got sacks against lesser opponents in a horribly weak conference. He is a scary prospect but is an athletic and the right size to play OLB. The risk is too high for my liking.

Teams can run on us because we have practice squad quality LBs and DEs. Well Stroud is just getting old and losing his will to battle in the trenches he is not practice squad quality.

Jeremy Beal and Mason Foster are both 4 year starters that appear IMO to be more NFL ready than many in the class.

Nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but this does look like a good year to draft LBs in rounds 2-4.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Quinn is the one year wonder, that only got sacks against lesser opponents in a horribly weak conference. He is a scary prospect but is an athletic and the right size to play OLB. The risk is too high for my liking.

Teams can run on us because we have practice squad quality LBs and DEs. Well Stroud is just getting old and losing his will to battle in the trenches he is not practice squad quality.

Jeremy Beal and Mason Foster are both 4 year starters that appear IMO to be more NFL ready than many in the class.

Nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but this does look like a good year to draft LBs in rounds 2-4.

I will go on record here and now to say that Quinn is not a one-year wonder like Maybin.

If he and two other Tarheels had not accepted 5k worth of gifts from an agent he would be right up there on the draft boards. The kids broke the rules - they have to sit out this year period, so I am not making excuses for a poor decision. That being said, everything else I have read about the kid does not lead me to believe that he is a problem child. He made a mistake, is paying for it now, and if he opts for the draft I think the Bills would be fortunate to get him where he would be for us.

I am not going to argue conference strength because it does fluxuate, but I will say that the SEC is not generally considered a week conference, has been to the most bowl games and has the most bowl wins of any conference.

Quinn projects well as an OLB that can put a hand on the ground and rush the passer as well.

He has all the intangibles that you cannot teach, he has strength (comes from a star wrestling background), he can use his hands well to shed blockers, he has textbook extension to make a tackle or strip a ball, he has freakish speed for his size (broke a UNC record with a documented 4.38 in the 40). If he is in this coming draft he will not drop to the second round. A team that does its homework will pick this kid up.

That is not to say that I do not like the premier Defensive Tackles in the draft, I just think they are deep enough to grab one in the second - the same could be said of LB, but I would not be unhappy with a Quinn pick in the first.

Personally, I believe that he is the anti-Maybin :devil:

I'm a believer in a front 7 draft for sure. I'm tending to agree that this is not the best year for offensive tackles so I suspect we'll get a real stud franchise type defensive lineman or linebacker in round one. We could do worse than to dedicate the whole draft, like you did, to the trenches.

I will go on record here and now to say that Quinn is not a one-year wonder like Maybin.

If he and two other Tarheels had not accepted 5k worth of gifts from an agent he would be right up there on the draft boards. The kids broke the rules - they have to sit out this year period, so I am not making excuses for a poor decision. That being said, everything else I have read about the kid does not lead me to believe that he is a problem child. He made a mistake, is paying for it now, and if he opts for the draft I think the Bills would be fortunate to get him where he would be for us.

I am not going to argue conference strength because it does fluxuate, but I will say that the SEC is not generally considered a week conference, has been to the most bowl games and has the most bowl wins of any conference.

Quinn projects well as an OLB that can put a hand on the ground and rush the passer as well.

He has all the intangibles that you cannot teach, he has strength (comes from a star wrestling background), he can use his hands well to shed blockers, he has textbook extension to make a tackle or strip a ball, he has freakish speed for his size (broke a UNC record with a documented 4.38 in the 40). If he is in this coming draft he will not drop to the second round. A team that does its homework will pick this kid up.

That is not to say that I do not like the premier Defensive Tackles in the draft, I just think they are deep enough to grab one in the second - the same could be said of LB, but I would not be unhappy with a Quinn pick in the first.

Personally, I believe that he is the anti-Maybin :devil:

Quinn is a 1 year wonder because he doesn't have a second year of impressive stats. He was suspended for what could have been his second impressive year or a disappointed year, no one knows; he got 2 sacks in 2008.

He plays in the ACC, not the SEC and I don't know what Maybin has to do with Robert Quinn they are two different people.

he got ALL of his 11 sacks and 33 of his tackles; against Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Miami, Connecticut, and Georgia Tech (6 games), he got a mere 19 tackles and 0 sacks! That is a staggering dispersion of stats between teams he played! He made absolutely no impact in games against good teams, yet he dominated against bad teams.

http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/09/robert-quinn-2011-draft-scouting-report.html

Quinn is a 1 year wonder because he doesn't have a second year of impressive stats. He was suspended for what could have been his second impressive year or a disappointed year, no one knows; he got 2 sacks in 2008.

He plays in the ACC, not the SEC.

he got ALL of his 11 sacks and 33 of his tackles; against Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Miami, Connecticut, and Georgia Tech (6 games), he got a mere 19 tackles and 0 sacks! That is a staggering dispersion of stats between teams he played! He made absolutely no impact in games against good teams, yet he dominated against bad teams.

http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/09/robert-quinn-2011-draft-scouting-report.html'>http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/09/robert-quinn-2011-draft-scouting-report.html

Damn, you are correct - that was a big oops and I will man up and admit it. The SEC has the winning tradition.

And true, the ACC has some weak teams that get consistently beat up (Wake Forest and Virginia come to mind), but what conference doesn't? They also have some very tough teams as well in Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Georgia Tech (although Georgia Tech did much better with Chan at the helm than now).

It would have been nice to get more film on this kid this year, but he did go from a 2 sack 22 solo tackle freshman year to an 11 sack 35 solo tackle year in 09. Bottom line I still think he is a player - we will see what team agrees on draft day.

He plays in the ACC, not the SEC and I don't know what Maybin has to do with Robert Quinn they are two different people.

http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/09/robert-quinn-2011-draft-scouting-report.html

I like that article though, I had not read anywhere else about his denials regarding the "gifts from agents".... that gives me a bit more to think about than what I think he brings physically to the field. I am not overly concerned with the sack totals - against poor teams he dominated, against better opponents he got a "mere" 19 tackles and they kept him away from the QB.

Damn, you are correct - that was a big oops and I will man up and admit it. The SEC has the winning tradition.

And true, the ACC has some weak teams that get consistently beat up (Wake Forest and Virginia come to mind), but what conference doesn't? They also have some very tough teams as well in Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Georgia Tech (although Georgia Tech did much better with Chan at the helm than now).

It would have been nice to get more film on this kid this year, but he did go from a 2 sack 22 solo tackle freshman year to an 11 sack 35 solo tackle year in 09. Bottom line I still think he is a player - we will see what team agrees on draft day.

Don't get me wrong, by the tail of tape and his 2009 performance against weak teams he looks great.

However the risk is just too great for my liking when you have much more of a sure thing with Bowers or Fairley.

If he falls, to the second, which is more likely than being taken in the top 10 if you look at Dez Bryant it would be a freaking steal.

But the Bills can't afford to blow another 1st round pick.

Plus Nix drafted only Captain's from their collegiate teams in 2010, that can't be by coincidence. Nix is going to weigh the character issues pretty heavily, imo.

The Chiefs chose a 5-technique LDE in Tyson Jackson a few drafts ago, so don't be suprised if the best fit is Marcel Darius, in the long run! I love Bowers too, don't get me wrong, but I'm doubting Bowers being there when we pick. I also DO NOT want to skip on another Clay Matthews' son, so I'd target Casey Matthews in round two, and that's IF he is still available!! So here goes on my projection...

1.) Marcel Darius, LDE, Alabama

2.) Casey Matthews, ILB/OLB, Oregon

3.) Sam Acho, OLB, Texas

4.) Jarriel King, ORT, South Carolina

4.) Vai Taua, RB, Nevada

5.) Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

6.) Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa

7.) Xzavier Stewart, NT, Illinois State

Don't get me wrong, by the tail of tape and his 2009 performance against weak teams he looks great.

However the risk is just too great for my liking when you have much more of a sure thing with Bowers or Fairley.

If he falls, to the second, which is more likely than being taken in the top 10 if you look at Dez Bryant it would be a freaking steal.

But the Bills can't afford to blow another 1st round pick.

Plus Nix drafted only Captain's from their collegiate teams in 2010, that can't be by coincidence. Nix is going to weigh the character issues pretty heavily, imo.

I can't disagree with your logic, and considering the Maybin and Spiller picks the Bills brass may want to move in a more sure-fire direction with what may be the highest draft pick this team could see in a while (here's hoping). That, and Buddy's a SEC guy and Chan left the ACC before this kid hit the scene.

I have honestly not been more excited about a Bills draft since 85-86, and I love the thought that the Bills are not painted into a corner whereby they "have" to take a shot at a rookie QB. The stats for QBs taken in the first round and actually succeeding in the NFL just aren't there. If Fitz continues to blossom in Gailey's system and our running game gets on track this will be a very difficult team to match up against offensively.

We just need a complimentary defense to go along with the rest of the package.

We don't need a receiver, we need a pass rusher and a guy whose motor never stops like Williams. I personally like Von Miller as an OLB possibility if you watch that guy play you would agree with me. You might get him early in the second round or if we trade out of our number 1 pick at the bottom of the second. If we do pick 4 or 5 like i think we will you don't take a WR you take BPA in my opinion.

A.J. Green is 6'4", very fast, and with very soft hands. If Green turned into the next Larry Fitzgerald--or even the next Eric Moulds--he would add another very powerful weapon for the offense.

Ideally, your offense should have what I'd consider to be a true #1 WR. By that I mean a guy who can consistently produce 1000 yard seasons despite constant double coverage. Lee Evans isn't that. Neither has Stevie Johnson proved to be that, yet. But even if Johnson becomes that kind of WR, having two WRs who can consistently produce at a high level despite double coverage wouldn't be terrible. In fact it would make the Bills' receiving corps very difficult to defend! :) A team that Darrell Revis-ed one of the two WRs would get burned by the other. And they'd also have to worry about Evans going deep.

I'll grant that a good RDE is more valuable than an equally good WR. A team would normally take its LTs, RDEs, and QBs early, and players like WRs and LBs a little later on. The only way you should take a WR or OLB in the top-10 is if you're confident you're getting a very special player indeed.

Adding an Eric Moulds or a Larry Fitzgerald would significantly improve the offense, while adding a very good OLB would significantly enhance the defense. I don't like using the word "luxury" to describe the former pick or "need" to describe the latter; because both picks would significantly enhance their respective units. Conversely, the Spiller pick has not--yet?--significantly enhanced the offense; because there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between Jackson + Lynch versus Jackson + Spiller.

There's nothing that says you should have roughly the same level of talent on offense as on defense. Sometimes you want to be elite on one side of the ball, while being solid/respectable on the other side. The Ravens of 2000 were elite on defense, the Rams of the late '90s were elite on offense; and both teams won Super Bowls. Adding a player like Green would be part of a larger bid to become elite on offense; while at the same time continuing to upgrade the defense and transition to the 3-4.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

A.J. Green is 6'4", very fast, and with very soft hands. If Green turned into the next Larry Fitzgerald--or even the next Eric Moulds--he would add another very powerful weapon for the offense.

Ideally, your offense should have what I'd consider to be a true #1 WR. By that I mean a guy who can consistently produce 1000 yard seasons despite constant double coverage. Lee Evans isn't that. Neither has Stevie Johnson proved to be that, yet. But even if Johnson becomes that kind of WR, having two WRs who can consistently produce at a high level despite double coverage wouldn't be terrible. In fact it would make the Bills' receiving corps very difficult to defend! :) A team that Darrell Revis-ed one of the two WRs would get burned by the other. And they'd also have to worry about Evans going deep.

I'll grant that a good RDE is more valuable than an equally good WR. A team would normally take its LTs, RDEs, and QBs early, and players like WRs and LBs a little later on. The only way you should take a WR or OLB in the top-10 is if you're confident you're getting a very special player indeed.

Adding an Eric Moulds or a Larry Fitzgerald would significantly improve the offense, while adding a very good OLB would significantly enhance the defense. I don't like using the word "luxury" to describe the former pick or "need" to describe the latter; because both picks would significantly enhance their respective units. Conversely, the Spiller pick has not--yet?--significantly enhanced the offense; because there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between Jackson + Lynch versus Jackson + Spiller.

There's nothing that says you should have roughly the same level of talent on offense as on defense. Sometimes you want to be elite on one side of the ball, while being solid/respectable on the other side. The Ravens of 2000 were elite on defense, the Rams of the late '90s were elite on offense; and both teams won Super Bowls. Adding a player like Green would be part of a larger bid to become elite on offense; while at the same time continuing to upgrade the defense and transition to the 3-4.

Fairly accurate description of both Super Bowl teams from last year. What this thread doesn't capture are the players we can get in free agency. It might safer to pick up a proven WR there than draft one. Of course the same argument can be used for other positions. Thru a combination of the draft and FA, Bills should be able to make great strides next season.

I am using DraftTek's Big Board and Straight Pick (#2, #34, #66, #99, #131, #163, #195, can't pick a player listed earlier than that #, no trades). My goal is to buy time for Fitz and get after Marsha Brady.

RD1-Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Premium passrush, potential unlimited. Tossup with Dareus.

RD2-Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. Get RT early--Worst OT class in 7 yrs.-- LT, RT, OG and OC exp.

RD3-Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma. Beal does it all--strong side, blitz, standing pos and pass cover.

RD4-Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson. I'll take the Clemson bookends.

RD5-Don'ta Hightower,ILB, Alabama. Great anticipation in Auburn game. Stock will rise up to April.

RD6-Ryan Bartholomew, OC, Syracuse. Smart player, local draw.

RD7-Terry Griffin, NT, Elizabeth City State. 6'3", 340. Intercepted a pass, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had a sack, 4 tackles, and 2 tackles for loss all in the same game this year. My WTF pick!

Astro

I like it. I'm high on Bowers and I completely agree that this OL class stinks so I fully expect Nix to select a lineman early. Good mock. :thumbsup:

If the Bills took AJ Green Fans' heads would explode, and Sullivan would have another mind numbing "Luxury" rant, however by 2012 there would be more Green jerseys than Poz jerseys in the stands. The guy is a playmaker and and Chan would get him the ball to make plays.

However I think adding a stud TE or stud WR is more of a 2012 goal.

I believe adding NFL ready pass rushers and run stuffers would lead to more Ws in 2011.

AJ green might add more excitement and is almost as NFL ready as Dez Bryant but the defense is lacking much more than the London Fletcher lead Rams defense or the Jamal Lewis led Ravens offense.

Not to mention if someone like Bowers, Fairley, or Dareus is there when you pick. It would be hard to pass on these guys especially when they represent a very difficult to find position of need.

6'2"+ 290-320+ athletic guys with big motors don't grow on trees, where as WRs are just a huge crap shot and take years to develop.

However AJ Green looks to be a primetime stud that is more NFL ready than other WR prospects. If you go 4 wide, with Roscoe, Evans, Stevie, and Green in 2011 that would give D-COs nightmares.

This team needs to connect on a hail marry pass with the 2011 first round pick, an impact D-Line man is the way to go imo.

A team that is more complete and needs to add play makers might be tempted to trade up for AJ green which could work out well for the Bills imo.

I am using DraftTek's Big Board and Straight Pick (#2, #34, #66, #99, #131, #163, #195, can't pick a player listed earlier than that #, no trades). My goal is to buy time for Fitz and get after Marsha Brady.

RD1-Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Premium passrush, potential unlimited. Tossup with Dareus.

RD2-Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. Get RT early--Worst OT class in 7 yrs.-- LT, RT, OG and OC exp.

RD3-Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma. Beal does it all--strong side, blitz, standing pos and pass cover.

RD4-Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson. I'll take the Clemson bookends.

RD5-Don'ta Hightower,ILB, Alabama. Great anticipation in Auburn game. Stock will rise up to April.

RD6-Ryan Bartholomew, OC, Syracuse. Smart player, local draw.

RD7-Terry Griffin, NT, Elizabeth City State. 6'3", 340. Intercepted a pass, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had a sack, 4 tackles, and 2 tackles for loss all in the same game this year. My WTF pick!

Astro

Keep youur eye on JJ Watt DE Wisconsin - Next game Rose Bowl against TCU. He will wreck havoc in that game.

We could have added Dez Bryant with a top 10 pick last year but elected not too. While he fell to pick 24, I think he's demonstrated that he was worth the top 10 predraft grade many draftniks gave him. That said look at the WR that was taken two picks before him, Demaryius Thomas. He's battled injuries but struggled to surpass guys like Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal. I say this even as someone who was calling for us to take Bryant last year, Gailey seems to know how to make the most of the little "talent" we have at WR. So shore up the D, find a quality RT and we might get on track in 2011. The only way I see us taking a guy like Green is if we ship Lee Evans for some defensive talent, which I can say am all for as was for trading him last offseason for TE Zach Miller, of the Raiders, and a draft pick.

If the Bills took AJ Green Fans' heads would explode, and Sullivan would have another mind numbing "Luxury" rant, however by 2012 there would be more Green jerseys than Poz jerseys in the stands. The guy is a playmaker and and Chan would get him the ball to make plays.

However I think adding a stud TE or stud WR is more of a 2012 goal.

I believe adding NFL ready pass rushers and run stuffers would lead to more Ws in 2011.

AJ green might add more excitement and is almost as NFL ready as Dez Bryant but the defense is lacking much more than the London Fletcher lead Rams defense or the Jamal Lewis led Ravens offense.

Not to mention if someone like Bowers, Fairley, or Dareus is there when you pick. It would be hard to pass on these guys especially when they represent a very difficult to find position of need.

6'2"+ 290-320+ athletic guys with big motors don't grow on trees, where as WRs are just a huge crap shot and take years to develop.

However AJ Green looks to be a primetime stud that is more NFL ready than other WR prospects. If you go 4 wide, with Roscoe, Evans, Stevie, and Green in 2011 that would give D-COs nightmares.

This team needs to connect on a hail marry pass with the 2011 first round pick, an impact D-Line man is the way to go imo.

A team that is more complete and needs to add play makers might be tempted to trade up for AJ green which could work out well for the Bills imo.

I agree that, if there's a RDE worthy of a top-5 pick available for the Bills, they should take him over Green. I'm less enthused about them using a top-5 pick on a NT, both because it's less of a premium position than RDE, and because of the presence of Kyle Williams and Troupe. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a NT in the top-5--just that that position is a lot lower on my list than RDE.

I consider OLB to be even less of a premium position than NT. Weighed against that is the fact the Bills really need a pass-rushing OLB, but don't necessarily need an NT. Moreover, an elite pass-rushing OLB would do wonders for the defense.

I agree that a defensive front-7 player would likely provide more help in 2011 than would a WR like Green. My focus here is more on 2012, because that's the very earliest the Bills could be ready to make a serious Super Bowl run. That gives the Bills two drafts, and two offseasons, to prepare. Suppose, for example, that they were to do the following in the 2011 draft:

1: Green, WR

2. TE

3. RT

4a. LB

4b. LB

If all those picks worked, and if Fitz turns out to be a top-10 QB, the offense could become one of the league's best. I realize that's a lot of ifs, and that Fitz still doesn't have the same level of accuracy you'd expect from an elite QB. But with the attributes he does have, and with the addition of guys like Green, a go-to TE, and a solid RT, the Bills' offense could easily become one of the league's five best. You could point out that, to achieve that, I've neglected the defense almost completely, beyond adding some bodies at LB in round 4. That's a fair criticism.

The Bills' defense requires a very good RDE, a very good pass rushing OLB, and the addition of solid players at some other front-7 positions to get to where it needs to be. Possibly, one or both of those 4th rounders could become some of those solid players. But under this plan, the Bills would need to take either a RDE or a pass rushing OLB with their first round pick in 2012. And then they'd probably need to add another front-7 defensive player in the second round of the 2012 draft.

If all that happened, think of the result! The Bills' opponents in 2012 would have to somehow find a way to stop Green, Johnson, Evans, and that 2nd round TE. (Not to mention Spiller or Jackson as outlet receivers.) The offensive line would be respectable. Fitz would bring a respectable (not great) level of accuracy, and a very good ability to read defenses, look off safeties, and be an on-field general. The Bills' defensive front-7 would be considerably better than it is today. Other teams would not be happy to see a team like that on their schedules! :)

I agree that, if there's a RDE worthy of a top-5 pick available for the Bills, they should take him over Green. I'm less enthused about them using a top-5 pick on a NT, both because it's less of a premium position than RDE, and because of the presence of Kyle Williams and Troupe. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a NT in the top-5--just that that position is a lot lower on my list than RDE.

I consider OLB to be even less of a premium position than NT. Weighed against that is the fact the Bills really need a pass-rushing OLB, but don't necessarily need an NT. Moreover, an elite pass-rushing OLB would do wonders for the defense.

I agree that a defensive front-7 player would likely provide more help in 2011 than would a WR like Green. My focus here is more on 2012, because that's the very earliest the Bills could be ready to make a serious Super Bowl run. That gives the Bills two drafts, and two offseasons, to prepare. Suppose, for example, that they were to do the following in the 2011 draft:

1: Green, WR

2. TE

3. RT

4a. LB

4b. LB

If all those picks worked, and if Fitz turns out to be a top-10 QB, the offense could become one of the league's best. I realize that's a lot of ifs, and that Fitz still doesn't have the same level of accuracy you'd expect from an elite QB. But with the attributes he does have, and with the addition of guys like Green, a go-to TE, and a solid RT, the Bills' offense could easily become one of the league's five best. You could point out that, to achieve that, I've neglected the defense almost completely, beyond adding some bodies at LB in round 4. That's a fair criticism.

The Bills' defense requires a very good RDE, a very good pass rushing OLB, and the addition of solid players at some other front-7 positions to get to where it needs to be. Possibly, one or both of those 4th rounders could become some of those solid players. But under this plan, the Bills would need to take either a RDE or a pass rushing OLB with their first round pick in 2012. And then they'd probably need to add another front-7 defensive player in the second round of the 2012 draft.

If all that happened, think of the result! The Bills' opponents in 2012 would have to somehow find a way to stop Green, Johnson, Evans, and that 2nd round TE. (Not to mention Spiller or Jackson as outlet receivers.) The offensive line would be respectable. Fitz would bring a respectable (not great) level of accuracy, and a very good ability to read defenses, look off safeties, and be an on-field general. The Bills' defensive front-7 would be considerably better than it is today. Other teams would not be happy to see a team like that on their schedules! :)

The Bills seem to be able to produce points on the field when needed with the weapons they have. Spiller still hasn't materialized yet, though I believe he can be a dynamic player and Gailey will find a way to unleash him once Spiller matures a bit more reading his blocks, picking up blitzes, and learning the offense better. It also helps that are line is getting a bit better at run-blocking.

I do not see us going after WR when we have Easley waiting in the wings who I thought was a steal last year and did not disappoint me in training camp. WR is such a crap shoot - look at Stevie who we picked up in the 7th... it is a bit early, but he may be the real deal as an impact NFL receiver.

This year the draft is deep in DL and LB talent. The Bills would be foolish not to load up on what we need most - beasts in the trenches that can stop the run and put the fear of God in opposing QBs. More 3 and outs would give Fitz and our offense more opportunities for plays and a better defensive front would definitely generate more turnovers giving us shots with a shorter field. As it stands now too many teams run the ball down our throats, hold a time of possession edge, and keep our offense off the field.

The Bills seem to be able to produce points on the field when needed with the weapons they have. Spiller still hasn't materialized yet, though I believe he can be a dynamic player and Gailey will find a way to unleash him once Spiller matures a bit more reading his blocks, picking up blitzes, and learning the offense better. It also helps that are line is getting a bit better at run-blocking.

I do not see us going after WR when we have Easley waiting in the wings who I thought was a steal last year and did not disappoint me in training camp. WR is such a crap shoot - look at Stevie who we picked up in the 7th... it is a bit early, but he may be the real deal as an impact NFL receiver.

This year the draft is deep in DL and LB talent. The Bills would be foolish not to load up on what we need most - beasts in the trenches that can stop the run and put the fear of God in opposing QBs. More 3 and outs would give Fitz and our offense more opportunities for plays and a better defensive front would definitely generate more turnovers giving us shots with a shorter field. As it stands now too many teams run the ball down our throats, hold a time of possession edge, and keep our offense off the field.

I agree with your bolded sentence. But that said, you sometimes want to upgrade a unit that's already good. Joe Montana and the 49ers offense were very productive, and helped the team win two Super Bowl championships, even before they added Jerry Rice. The Patriots offense was still productive the year they had Antowain Smith at RB and nobody in particular at WR. But the 49ers still benefited hugely by adding Rice, just as the Patriots' offense took a big step up with the addition of Randy Moss.

Fitzpatrick isn't as good as Joe Montana or even Tom Brady. But if he's doing this well with the receiving corps he has, think how much more he could achieve with the addition of an elite, game-changing WR.

I'm not saying that Green is the only option the Bills should consider. Clearly, if Green and a RDE with an equal player grade are available when the Bills pick, they should choose the RDE. No question there. It gets a little more iffy if it's a toss-up between Green and an OLB; and that's something that could be argued either way. But if there are no front-7 players with Green-like grades available when the Bills pick, taking Green represents a very viable option.

Obviously, if the Bills have the chance to draft Luck, they should do that instead of the RDE, OLB, etc.