This Game Will Be A Great Opportunity

Bill from NYC

Draft the best player available at a position of need. We know they need help in the defensive front 7. As of now more than the Oline. But if a blue chipper is available grab him. Nix says he will stack players so anything is possible. But the Oline is looking much better across the board and Bell especially.

Yeah, I agree. Right now, tie goes to the defense if there are 2 players you feel good about at your draft slot, but if Nix is feeling good about an OL, he should take him if he really feels the lineman is the BPA. Really, outside of WRs, DBs, and RBs, it's BPA across the board.

Bill, I'll be interested to read your take on Bell's game. But, from my perspective, he had another solid game. The one sack he may have missed an assignment? He took the outside rusher and Harrison(?) stunted inside to get the sack. Again, not sure that's a miss on Bell, but other than that one play he seemed pretty solid.

At this point in the season, I'd say the line is steadily improving. I think they still need to work on their communication. But, all in all, they're looking like an improving unit each week.

Bill, I'll be interested to read your take on Bell's game. But, from my perspective, he had another solid game. The one sack he may have missed an assignment? He took the outside rusher and Harrison(?) stunted inside to get the sack. Again, not sure that's a miss on Bell, but other than that one play he seemed pretty solid.

At this point in the season, I'd say the line is steadily improving. I think they still need to work on their communication. But, all in all, they're looking like an improving unit each week.

Fitz has only been sacked 9 times in the past 6 games, with KC(3) and Pit(2) being the only games where he was sacked more than once. Considering in those 6 games, Fitz has attempted 254 passes, that is a VERY respectable 3.5% sack rate, which actually is one of the lowest rates in the NFL...

Was that the one where Levitre went to Harrison's legs and whiffed?

Was that the one where Levitre went to Harrison's legs and whiffed?

I think so. I didn't DVR the game, so I can't confirm. But, from what I recall the defense stunted and Levitre missed Harrison, Bell rode his guy out of the play. So, I'd say Levitre missed the block, not Bell. But, I can't recall if there was a RB that could have picked up the outside guy meaning Bell should have stayed on Harrison more. Even still, if that's the only play in question, I'd say it was a good game against a tough team.

How long has it been since we could say that neither the Oline nor the QB are the reason we lost the game (and there's no tougher test than facing the Steelers defense)?

I think so. I didn't DVR the game, so I can't confirm. But, from what I recall the defense stunted and Levitre missed Harrison, Bell rode his guy out of the play. So, I'd say Levitre missed the block, not Bell. But, I can't recall if there was a RB that could have picked up the outside guy meaning Bell should have stayed on Harrison more. Even still, if that's the only play in question, I'd say it was a good game against a tough team.

How long has it been since we could say that neither the Oline nor the QB are the reason we lost the game (and there's no tougher test than facing the Steelers defense)?

Too damn long. Gailey is very good coach, he has his players in position to make positive plays, it's great to see.

I was kind of chuckling there in the second half when Kugler's line was making our DL look like world beaters (ok, maybe mini-me edition, but you know what I mean). Been a long time since we've seen anything like that.

I remember back when we hired Gailey and he named D'Alesandris the OL coach, some poster was mad that we let go of Kugler and was raving about the Steelers being smart for hiring him.

I was never impressed with the work he did with us.

Where are the Bell haters today? Nowhere to be found. In fact, where's the "draft OL at all costs" brigade?

Silent, as they should be.

Never a bell basher , and was not a draft a tackle at all cost in the first round, but I was a believer that we needed big time help on the o line when the season started. I was wrong. Lets hope they put together a front 7 next year and see what happens . Things are looking up .

I was kind of chuckling there in the second half when Kugler's line was making our DL look like world beaters (ok, maybe mini-me edition, but you know what I mean). Been a long time since we've seen anything like that.

I thought the same thing - amazing what "Koogs" and Jonathan Scott will do for you...

Bell isn't a rookie. What is this, year 3?

The Steelers have a very good defense. Bell has been holding his own to a limited extent this season. I am curious to see how he does against the Steelers D. Bell plays next to a good, and improving LG. He also gets a lot of help. Tomorrow would seem to be a good time to look at him to see exactly what we have.

Imo, Demarcus Love would enter this league as a better LT than Bell. Many posters think that devoting the early picks to defense is a given. I tend to disagree. We did this (after the Spiller debacle) with Troup and Carrington in 2010.

If we don't take a QB in round 1 (and I openly hope we take Mallett), I think the biggest need we have is at OT. Before the Colts drafted Manning, they took Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows in rounds 1 and 2. This worked for them big time.

My point is that if Bell has a chance (which I personally doubt) to be a dominant LT, this affords the team other options. So, I think this week is a very good time for us to make an honest appraisal of Bell.

I know I will be watching closely.

So what did you think about Bell and the OL as a whole yesterday? The suspense is killing me!

Our biggest need will be from either a pass rushing/run stuffing DE... or a run stuffing/penetrating DT (depending on our defensive set. After that we need smart, athletic LB's (again, depends on our D set). I would look at O-line help too, but not until Rd 3 or 4. I guess it depends on whether the O-line continues to play well, and maybe who we can score in the off season.