Fitzpatricks success

Fitzmagic

Do you think its pure talent or do you think Chan Gaileys offense is a great help?

When I watch Bills games - I see a high powered passing attack... and that makes me think that Trent Edwards was just a hesitant little girl that didn't want to throw the ball downfield.

What do you think? Is Gaileys offense the real deal?

Physically, I think Fitz is an above average QB (think B- C+). His guts and leadership are what make him sparkle though and those two qualities make him a B+ QB. The reason why he's called a journeyman is that he's played on crappy teams and never looked very good. Along comes Chan, who knows how to build an offense and suddenly Fitz looks pretty OK! Chan is kinda like Bob Vila. He's knows what he's doing and provides the offense all the tools that they need to do the job. That's why we are seeing such an improvement this year. To continue my analogy, Dick Jauron and Trent Edwards were like an illiterate trying to learn how to build a deck by reading ask.com. The illiterate dosen't know how to read/use the tools, and the tools/ask.com suck.

Next year, as we bring more talent into B'lo, I expect that Fitz will only improve (assuming that he's still the starting QB). His biggest problem is accuracy and this should improve with a more sustained run game and better protection (assuming we draft a RT).

1.Do you think its pure talent or do you think Chan Gaileys offense is a great help?

When I watch Bills games - I see a high powered passing attack... and that makes me think that Trent Edwards was just a hesitant little girl that didn't want to throw the ball downfield.

2. What do you think? Is Gaileys offense the real deal?

1. Seems to be a combination of both. A good coach designs his schemes to capitalize on the strengths of his players. It appears that Fitz always possessed the physical tools and mental ability to be a successful NFL quarterback. He just needed a coach who could put him in a situation which would allow him to flourish.

2. It certainly appears so. With basically the same players at his disposal, Chan's offense has become significantly better than last year's version.

We're also playing with a very underutilized CJ Spiller, no Tight End, no Roscoe, and still a makeshift OL with its two best players still hampered by last years injuries in the first year of the system. While watching a bit of the MNF game, Gruden said something about this is year four of Phillip Rivers in Norv Turner's system and how he has mastered it. Well, we're in game eight of year one with Fitz in Chan's system, and he's already showing enormous progress.

In his last 16 games as a starter, with half of them being in Jauron's offense and not Chan's, Ryan Fitzpatrick is:

6-10

3,261 yds

26 tds

17 ints

Those 26 TDs would be tied for the second most in Bills history.

From another board...

If you extraplolate Fitz's stats from this year over 15 games, which is how many Jim Kelly played in that year you get 3676 yds, 34 TDs , 17 Ints.

Kelly's best year: 15 games, 3844 yds, 33 TDs, 17 Ints.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

In his last 16 games as a starter, with half of them being in Jauron's offense and not Chan's, Ryan Fitzpatrick is:

6-10

3,261 yds

26 tds

17 ints

Those 26 TDs would be tied for the second most in Bills history.

Never thought of it that way. This is awesome. Just imagine if we had a defense.... even a middle ranked one!

ALTHOUGH, I remember back during the Rob Johnson days, Bob Matthews wrote a piece that basically said if RJ's stats were extrapolated over a 16 game season, he'd be a sure vote for the pro bowl. Still though, I say that Fitz has much more of that IT factor that RJ ever did. I'm happy with Fitz as our starter.

Edited by saundena

With anything it's the chemistry of all parts coming together that makes a great product . Remember when Danny Joe Brown quit Molly Hachet the band was never the same .

In this case Gailey + Fitz + Team & scheme has created a good thing that with some added parts could be a great thing !!

But all good things come with time and patients , if some of the fans on this sight had their way a month or so ago Nix, Gailey , Fitz & a bunch more would have been toast .

This does just go to show even though the fans in Buffalo are some of the loyalist fans in the league their not always the smartest !!! :doh:

I love what Fitz has done this year. He is a gritty, tough quarterback. Perfect for a Buffalo blue collar team. Unfortunately, I think we definitely need to draft a blue chip quarterback once and for all. If you look at the super bowl for the last dozen years, the winning quarterbacks are below. Do you think this is a coincidence that these guys are all future hall of famers. We need that stud QB once and for all. QB isn't everything, but it sure is A LOT. With the exception of Brad and Trent those guys are all probably top 20 QB's to ever play when their careers are over. Johnson and Dilfer had two of the best defenses EVER so they are the exception. That is a huge rarity though, and definitely not how the Bills will ever operate.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER

PEYTON MANNING

TOM BRADY

DREW BREES

ELI MANNING

KURT WARNER

JOHN ELWAY

BRETT FAVRE

TRENT DILFER

BRAD JOHNSON

I love what Fitz has done this year. He is a gritty, tough quarterback. Perfect for a Buffalo blue collar team. Unfortunately, I think we definitely need to draft a blue chip quarterback once and for all. If you look at the super bowl for the last dozen years, the winning quarterbacks are below. Do you think this is a coincidence that these guys are all future hall of famers. We need that stud QB once and for all. QB isn't everything, but it sure is A LOT. With the exception of Brad and Trent those guys are all probably top 20 QB's to ever play when their careers are over. Johnson and Dilfer had two of the best defenses EVER so they are the exception. That is a huge rarity though, and definitely not how the Bills will ever operate.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER

PEYTON MANNING

TOM BRADY

DREW BREES

ELI MANNING

KURT WARNER

JOHN ELWAY

BRETT FAVRE

TRENT DILFER

BRAD JOHNSON

1. If Fitz continues to improve as the rest of the O improves, there is no reason why he couldn't be considered a blue chip QB.

2. I don't think that Eli will ever be considered a top 20 QB when his career is over. A very good QB, yes but not top 20.

3. I think Fitz's ceiling could be very Eli-esque..... and that's a very good thing for us :)

If Chan and Buddy really feel that he could be a winning QB for us, then by all means, draft D. The rest of the season will really show us what we have in Fitz. He played a strong Jets team with only a week of practice, and tore up a sleeping Ravens defense. He's looked pretty good so far, but now that there is plenty of film available on Fitz and Co., let's just see how things go against Pittsburgh the Jests and Miami. If he looks good in those games, I'll be more than satisfied with him as our #1 going forth.

Gailey has a history of getting these results with scrubbs before - John Clayton was on WGR tonight talking about just that.

I think its gaileys O plain and simple. Sure Fitz is a smart guy and makes some quick decisions, but he isnt accurate and I really think his success is the same thing that Thigpen and all the others benifited from.

Gailey has a history of getting these results with scrubbs before - John Clayton was on WGR tonight talking about just that.

I think its gaileys O plain and simple. Sure Fitz is a smart guy and makes some quick decisions, but he isnt accurate and I really think his success is the same thing that Thigpen and all the others benifited from.

The Thigpen offense Gailey designed for him was gimmicky and based on his ability to run. It was novel and defenses weren't prepared for it. Fitzpatrick averages about 100 passing yards more per game (approximately 245 to 150), because it is a regular NFL offense, based on your QB dropping back, reading defenses and firing downfield to WRs. There is nothing gimmicky about it. Trent couldnt run Gailey's offense and he's probably better than Thigpen and Trent sucks.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

The Thigpen offense Gailey designed for him was gimmicky and based on his ability to run. It was novel and defenses weren't prepared for it. Fitzpatrick averages about 100 passing yards more per game (approximately 245 to 150), because it is a regular NFL offense, based on your QB dropping back, reading defenses and firing downfield to WRs. There is nothing gimmicky about it. Trent couldnt run Gailey's offense and he's probably better than Thigpen and Trent sucks.

Excellent post. I guess Fitz's performance for the remainder of the season will be a great indication of his ability to be a legitimate starting QB. We have six games remaining...3 of which are against likely playoff teams.

If we can get a QB of the future next draft (or 2012) let's go for it. He can sit under Fitz, learning how to read defenses (which is Fitzs' major strong point, IMO) and mastering the offense. We haven't had a quarterback this good since when?

Develop the rest of the team. The guy that's gonna take us to the promised land can then step in.