One and Done

/dev/null

Doesn't matter, either way the Republicans will be dumb enough to have Palin run for Presidency.

Here's my impersonation of pBills responding to anything critical or negative about Obama

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah SARAH PALIN Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Edited by /dev/null

I hope Obama runs again, in fact i think he is still to arrogant to realize his policies are not wanted by the American people.

Let Obama run again, please. it will all but lock it up for 2012 and set the liberals back years.

You do realize that Obama has a very good chance to win in 2012 don't you? There are 2 constants in modern American politics. Obama is an awful President and the Republicans are just as bad

You do realize that Obama has a very good chance to win in 2012 don't you? There are 2 constants in modern American politics. Obama is an awful President and the Republicans are just as bad

So if Obama has a good chance to win again, why suggest he forgo a 2nd term? What Dem candidate would be a choice more likely to win?

You do realize that Obama has a very good chance to win in 2012 don't you?

I don't agree with this at all. If the candidate that comes out of the GOP primaries isn't such a divisive and polarizing figure such as Romney, Thune or Daniels, then I would say that Obama has less than a 30% chance at winning. On the other hand if someone like a Gingrich or Palin wins then Obama has somewhere around a 75% chance of winning. If you throw in a Marco Rubio with one of these three as the VP nominee, then Obama is done. Oh, and don't ask me how I came to those figures, just trust that they are line. :)

Edited by Magox

So if Obama has a good chance to win again, why suggest he forgo a 2nd term? What Dem candidate would be a choice more likely to win?

I'm not suggesting that he forgo a second term. I posted a link to an op-ed by Democrats who don't want him to run again.

I don't agree with this at all. If the candidate that comes out of the GOP primaries isn't such a divisive and polarizing figure such as Romney, Thune or Daniels, then I would say that Obama has less than a 30% chance at winning. On the other hand if someone like a Gingrich or Palin wins then Obama has somewhere around a 75% chance of winning. If you throw in a Marco Rubio with one of these three as the VP nominee, then Obama is done. Oh, and don't ask me how I came to those figures, just trust that they are line. :)

Scorched Earth Policy

The Republicans are going to beat each other stupid(er) during the primary. After watching the Republicans eat their own during the primary some voters may prefer the relative sanity of the non-change they can believe in

[citation needed]

How's that Summer of Recovery working out for you?

Scorched Earth Policy

The Republicans are going to beat each other stupid(er) during the primary. After watching the Republicans eat their own during the primary some voters may prefer the relative sanity of the non-change they can believe in

That is a definite possibility, we could be seeing a redux of the Barry Goldwater era, where in the short-term he cost them the nomination, even though that movement inspired a tremendous GOP resurgence.

Another person that you have to watch for, even though I'm not too keen on him is Mike Pence. He has become a partisan bomb thrower, and I don't believe that is something that will work on the national stage. But the social conservatives love him and he is extremely fiscally conservative and a tea party favorite. He is someone I could see Palin endorsing, and if he runs, then I would say it becomes a 50/50 matchup against Obama. He's definitely not one of my top choices.

I hope Obama runs again, in fact i think he is still to arrogant to realize his policies are not wanted by the American people.

Let Obama run again, please. it will all but lock it up for 2012 and set the liberals back years.

If the republicans/conservatives/tea party can all somehow agree on a half way respectable, energetic and engaging candidate they should easily be able to build on their current political energy and turn 2010 mid terms into 2012 victory.

It's pretty clear based on obama's approval ratings and the 2010 elections that he would be a very vulnerable incumbent president for an election based on current sentiments

If the republicans/conservatives/tea party can all somehow agree on a half way respectable, energetic and engaging candidate they should easily be able to build on their current political energy and turn 2010 mid terms into 2012 victory.

It's pretty clear based on obama's approval ratings and the 2010 elections that he would be a very vulnerable incumbent president for an election based on current sentiments

That agreement is going to be key. The Republicans and Tea Partiers/Independents could split votes. For example, the Tea Partiers could pick Palin (or more realistically Christie) and the Republicans could go with a Boehner type and hand the presidency to Obama on a silver platter.

It's how Clinton beat Bush I--Perot siphoned off Bush's votes.

The article was stupid. While Schoen and Caddell did a good job predicting the mid-term embarrassment as a result of the way the WH was behaving, this article is just a bit of grandstanding for the sake of making the far right talk show rounds this week. The concept that things would actually get done if Obama announced such a thing is ridiculous for reasons that are obvious even to a political newbie like myself.

Not to mention, I'm certain Obama is convinced that only he can save us now. While you must have an immense ego to even think about running for president, I read an interesting article here (from Weekly Standard) which did a great job of really putting the Obama ego in a nutshell. It's a little lengthy, and not particularly in-depth, but it creates a terrific case for why this president is over-the-top egomaniacal. Worth the read, especially because it ends so well.

Regarding 2012...while I readily admit being new to this, you don't need a lot of experience to know that the biggest problem facing Obama in 2012 starts in Ohio, ends in Florida, and begins with the phrase "Meanwhile, Republicans picked up nine governorships and 19 state legislatures in the midterms...." Politicos on both sides realize that Obama has really hurt himself for 2012, and to paraphrase a joke I heard recently, the only way this mid-term election could have been worse is if Obama was right and there really WERE 57 states.

Has this ever happened before? And no, Palin won't run for Prez, at least as a Republican. Tea Party probably.

Tea Party is basically Republican

If jobs keep creeping up and the economy is looking better towards the end of 2011. He would win again.

If jobs keep creeping up and the economy is looking better towards the end of 2011. He would win again.

It's going to take a whole helluva lot more creeping than we've seen. The concept that we've seen nine months of growth sounds good in the echo chamber, but out in the streets, it doesn't mean crap because you can only say "It's better than it used to be" so many times before most people stop caring about "what used to be." And I hate to break it to you, but that time is now.

I'm very optimistic for an economic recovery because I believe that if, as a small business, you've weathered it this far, you are going to really thrive when the recovery inevitably comes. But you'd have to be one massive kool-aid drinking dolt to think that the current economic policies of this administration are going to do ANYTHING to expedite the recovery before 2011.

On the other hand, maybe we're about to enter the Winter of Recovery. Or at least the Spring of Recovery. Or maybe Summer of Recovery V2.1???

Edited by LABillzFan

Has this ever happened before? And no, Palin won't run for Prez, at least as a Republican. Tea Party probably.

LBJ comes to mind. Although he really also got part of Kennedy's term.

He never stopped running.

In my estimation, whoever comes out of the GOP primary will be a divisive and polarizing figure. If you look at the list of prominent Republicans over the last few years, they are all deemed "polarizing". The media zeroes in on them with concerns of "hard-right" and "extreme" views, and the next thing you know, casual observers have the utmost disdain for someone without being able to articulate why (see Sarah Palin).

Either way, unless the economy takes a sharp turn for the good Obama can bend over and kiss his ass good-bye. This voluntary one and done (or take one for the team) would actually be a brilliant way to save face and avoid going down as the next Jimmy Carter, running around for the next 30 years trying to make excuses for the pile of **** that was his Presidency.

Edited by Rob's House

In my estimation, whoever comes out of the GOP primary will be a divisive and polarizing figure. If you look at the list of prominent Republicans over the last few years, they are all deemed "polarizing". The media zeroes in on them with concerns of "hard-right" and "extreme" views, and the next thing you know, casual observers have the utmost disdain for someone without being able to articulate why (see Sarah Palin).

Either way, unless the economy takes a sharp turn for the good Obama can bend over and kiss his ass good-bye. This voluntary one and done (or take one for the team) would actually be a brilliant way to save face and avoid going down as the next Jimmy Carter, running around for the next 30 years trying to make excuses for the pile of **** that was his Presidency.

The GOP could get a monkey to pull potential candidates' names out of a hat, and as long as one of those names in the hat wasn't John McCain, they'd already be miles ahead of where they were in 2008.

Note: In no way is my mention of a monkey in a thread about Obama meant to mean anything racist.