One and Done

/dev/null

The GOP could get a monkey to pull potential candidates' names out of a hat, and as long as one of those names in the hat wasn't John McCain, they'd already be miles ahead of where they were in 2008.

Note: In no way is my mention of a monkey in a thread about Obama meant to mean anything racist.

Don't even get me started on that one. The Republicans saw how well the John Kerry campaign went and decided to emulate it. Stroke of brilliance.

In my estimation, whoever comes out of the GOP primary will be a divisive and polarizing figure. If you look at the list of prominent Republicans over the last few years, they are all deemed "polarizing". The media zeroes in on them with concerns of "hard-right" and "extreme" views, and the next thing you know, casual observers have the utmost disdain for someone without being able to articulate why (see Sarah Palin).

Either way, unless the economy takes a sharp turn for the good Obama can bend over and kiss his ass good-bye. This voluntary one and done (or take one for the team) would actually be a brilliant way to save face and avoid going down as the next Jimmy Carter, running around for the next 30 years trying to make excuses for the pile of **** that was his Presidency.

the media loves labeling republicans as "extreme" "conservative" "right wing" and doesn't always seem to describe a democrat who is equidistant "left" of center as said republican is "right" of center with the same adjectives.

Don't even get me started on that one. The Republicans saw how well the John Kerry campaign went and decided to emulate it. Stroke of brilliance.

The Republicans had this "great" idea to run a terrible RINO candidate to appeal to the "middle". it was great on paper except their own party voting base hated the idea. And then enter the savior lets redeem ourselves minority candidate Obama media rockstar and well....

The GOP could get a monkey to pull potential candidates' names out of a hat, and as long as one of those names in the hat wasn't John McCain, they'd already be miles ahead of where they were in 2008.

Note: In no way is my mention of a monkey in a thread about Obama meant to mean anything racist.

McCain wasn't an extremist. He just wasn't a great candidate and when he chose Palin, the independents said no.

McCain wasn't an extremist. He just wasn't a great candidate and when he chose Palin, the independents said no.

That is true. Much like the Federal Reserve intervention, the decision to pick Palin caused disallocations in the electorate. Independents largely left because of her, but the "Stimulus" provided as a result of the decision was that it galvanized the Conservative base. Without her, he would of lost at least by the same margin.

Edited by Magox

That is true. Much like the Federal Reserve intervention, the decision to pick Palin caused disallocations in the electorate. Independents largely left because of her, but the "Stimulus" provided as a result of the decision was that it galvanized the Conservative base. Without her, he would of lost at least by the same margin.

I was leaning to voting for him until he picked Palin. At that point, I was left with no acceptable compromise between the major party choices.

I was leaning to voting for him until he picked Palin. At that point, I was left with no acceptable compromise between the major party choices.

So let me get this right: you liked McCain because he wasn't an extremist, and then he picked Palin, who was an extremist, so what did you do? Vote for Obama, an extremist?

McCain was nothing more than Obama-lite, and when that simple fact because obvious to me as the election neared, I started rooting for Obama. In my mind, McCain would have made things worse than Obama for the simple reason that his plans would be equally as stupid (bailing out people's mortgages, for example), but not near as brazen and egomaniacal ("We won" or "You'd THINK they'd be thanking us" or "This time you have me"), and as a result you would have never seen the country so heavily engaged in politics as it is right now.

As a few people have mentioned, Obama has been an absolute blessing for the conservative movement.

exactly.

Mccain did NOT appeal to conservatives but appealed to the middle and democrat lite.

Palin did not appeal to moderates and democrat lite but had some republican support.

If mccain did not select Palin, he would have still lost by a similar margin because the republicans did not want to support another RINO.

Instead of the Mccain/Palin ticket drawing from both bases as hoped by the GOP the opposite happened and no one was happy and there was no enthusiasm or backing from voters so naturally the middle all voted for the radical liberal who the media ran nice stories about.

So let me get this right: you liked McCain because he wasn't an extremist, and then he picked Palin, who was an extremist, so what did you do? Vote for Obama, an extremist?

McCain was nothing more than Obama-lite, and when that simple fact because obvious to me as the election neared, I started rooting for Obama. In my mind, McCain would have made things worse than Obama for the simple reason that his plans would be equally as stupid (bailing out people's mortgages, for example), but not near as brazen and egomaniacal ("We won" or "You'd THINK they'd be thanking us" or "This time you have me"), and as a result you would have never seen the country so heavily engaged in politics as it is right now.

As a few people have mentioned, Obama has been an absolute blessing for the conservative movement.

Sarah Palin is not an extremist except in the categories of intelligence (lack) and power-hunger.

I was leaning McCain because I felt I could stomach voting for him to help insure Obama didn't win. When he picked Palin, I voted for neither McCain nor Obama. I let my vote go to Libertarian even though Bob Barr would be third in that group because he's an untrustwothy worm. But I figured at least voting for the Libertarians was a nod to the group I most sympathize with.

McCain was not an ideal choice by any means but I had more confidence in his ability to deal with the economy than Obama.

McCain was not an ideal choice by any means but I had more confidence in his ability to deal with the economy than Obama.

To me, McCain was nothing more than a smaller government budget, but lower taxes and hence a large budget deficit (and Palin was a complete non-issue to me for one reason: Dan Freaking Quayle). Obama - larger budget, higher taxes, and a large budget deficit. Either way, neither of them was going to get the goverrnment's income statement and balance sheet reined in.

What it really came down to, though, was Pelosi and the Republicans getting in a pissing match over TARP that nearly submarined the entire world economy. No !@#$in way I was voting for a party candidate after that circus.

1. I don't think these guys did this to get on talk shows. They have already been on talk shows, ever since they dared to say that Obama was going to be in trouble, and that was at least a year ago.

2. I do think that both of these guys can't get work, at the level they expect, due to who is currently leading the Democratic party. So, what else can they do? Go out and claim that the people who do have those jobs aren't doing them very well. What do these guys have to lose? Now, they not only look right, they are right, so perhaps they will get jobs at a high level.

But, careerism aside, these guys represent the thoughts of a significant amount of Democrats, and that's why this matters. There are a whole lot of Democrats who aren't leftists, and these guys represent that group.

If Obama doesn't get to work, stop blaming Bush, stop "communicating", and get something tangible accomplished that is not hated by 70+% of the country, he is going to lose these people permanently, and 2012 definitely.