Ryan Mallett Sucks - Exhibit A: Aaron Murray

ajzepp

I don't know how many of you guys have seen the Georgia Bulldogs play this season, but I see them basically every week. They had some QB issues this past offseason and had to start a freshman QB named Aaron Murray. Mark my words, this kid will be a STAR one day. The reason why I am using him as another opportunity to hack on Mallett is because it's clear as day what one important quality Murray has that is glaringly absent from Drew, Jr. Aaron Murray has more "clutch" in his left nut than Mallett has in his entire lurch-like physique. Murray is mobile, he can make every throw in the book, and he has this team playing far above their talent level. This kid is REALLY just a kid, but he's a total GAMER. When he cleans up some of his mistakes, he'll be one of the best QBs in the nation - I guarantee it!

If you get a chance to see this kid, check him out. Mallett is a poser. Murray is a GAMER!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many of you guys have seen the Georgia Bulldogs play this season, but I see them basically every week. They had some QB issues this past offseason and had to start a freshman QB named Aaron Murray. Mark my words, this kid will be a STAR one day. The reason why I am using him as another opportunity to hack on Mallett is because it's clear as day what one important quality Murray has that is glaringly absent from Drew, Jr. Aaron Murray has more "clutch" in his left nut than Mallett has in his entire lurch-like physique. Murray is mobile, he can make every throw in the book, and he has this team playing far above their talent level. This kid is REALLY just a kid, but he's a total GAMER. When he cleans up some of his mistakes, he'll be one of the best QBs in the nation - I guarantee it!

If you get a chance to see this kid, check him out. Mallett is a poser. Murray is a GAMER!

Murray may turn out to be a talent, but what does this have to do with an attack on Mallett, unless of course you have an anti-Mallett agenda and you're reaching for confirmation of it. I suppose watching Luck, means Mallett sucks too? Make no mistake, I'm not defending Mallett, but critique him on his own merit or lack thereof.

Oh, I get it, you're in training as a political spinner.

Mallett's a Poser huh? Cause he had a bad Quarter vs. Alabama? I'm pretty sure South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas A&M Fans would differ with your expert analysis...

There's so much nonsense in that Post I don't know where to start...And don't get me wrong I know Mallett is not perfect and I like the Murray Kid...But what his heart has to do with how good a QB Mallett will be in the NFL? What? :huh: And glaringly obvious Mallett is not "clutch?" To who? Was Murray clutch while his Team lost tonight? I don't get the logic here at all...Are you just a jealous Georgia Fan still licking his wounds from the Mallett led loss they gave the Bulldogs at Georgia early on this year?

And Mallett's lurch-like physique had a 14 yd rushing TD today...His 4th rushing TD to go along with 24 Passing TD's this Season...As a Bills Fan I would warm up to Mallett a bit more if I was you...The chances of him becoming the next Buffalo Bills QB go up with every good performance he has....And he seems to have a good one every Saturday lately...I mean you can just hate him until he gets here and hate on him more next year when he's a struggling Rookie...You'll have that to look forward to... B-)

Murray may turn out to be a talent, but what does this have to do with an attack on Mallett, unless of course you have an anti-Mallett agenda and you're reaching for confirmation of it. I suppose watching Luck, means Mallett sucks too? Make no mistake, I'm not defending Mallett, but critique him on his own merit or lack thereof.

Oh, I get it, you're in training as a political spinner.

One of the best ways to learn more about something is to compare and contrast. I have nothing against Mallett personally, however I do NOT want him as the QB for this team...so yes, in that sense I do have an agenda. You can have two really hot girls in the same room with you, but if one has a great personality and the other is sort of reserved and boring, then you learn something about the situation. Someone like Murray has such a strong will to compete and to make plays that it just exudes from the guy when he's behind center. When I've seen Mallett play, that is noticeably absent. To make the best decision (on anything, really), you can't just look at something in a vacuum. You have to consider the circumstances and you have to know what else is available and which qualities are present and absent.

Murray is good I agree, but he has nothing to do with Mallett. And he has a WR named AJ Green- You may have heard of him- Who is an absolute beast, and catches the ball no matter where its thrown.

And i dont call a 4-5 record clutch either.

az im sorry mine I am trying to listen to you but am having a hard time hearing passed the like FIVE TD's he scored today

This is my thing here....

- Andrew Luck (and no he was not mentioned in this post by you) will no doubt be a fine qb....my question is what team would give us a mint of high draft picks in order to be able to draft him so that we can get what will be a perfectly fine QB in Ryan Mallet while still being able to pick up

- A starting Right OT

- Pass rush help

- More pass rush help

- maybe a decent blocking tight end?

Just sayin

Mallett's a Poser huh? Cause he had a bad Quarter vs. Alabama? I'm pretty sure South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas A&M Fans would differ with your expert analysis...

There's so much nonsense in that Post I don't know where to start...And don't get me wrong I know Mallett is not perfect and I like the Murray Kid...But what his heart has to do with how good a QB Mallett will be in the NFL? What? :huh: And glaringly obvious Mallett is not "clutch?" To who? Was Murray clutch while his Team lost tonight? I don't get the logic here at all...Are you just a jealous Georgia Fan still licking his wounds from the Mallett led loss they gave the Bulldogs at Georgia early on this year?

And Mallett's lurch-like physique had a 14 yd rushing TD today...His 4th rushing TD to go along with 24 Passing TD's this Season...As a Bills Fan I would warm up to Mallett a bit more if I was you...The chances of him becoming the next Buffalo Bills QB go up with every good performance he has....And he seems to have a good one every Saturday lately...I mean you can just hate him until he gets here and hate on him more next year when he's a struggling Rookie...You'll have that to look forward to... B-)

"Expert analysis"? funny :)

I'm not a Georgia fan at all...couldn't care less if they win or lose. And I'll tell you where Murray has been....he's been the MAIN reason, along with AJ Green, why this team has even done as well as they have this year. Georgia is a very average football team, and Murray is as green as grass. If you've seen any Georgia games this year, you wouldn't have to ask me where he's been. And what do you mean, "what does heart have to do with success"? You don't think a QB needs to have heart and be clutch to win? I sure do.

As for your examples of Mallett's triumphs, everyone who knows anything about the SEC will tell you that Auburn has a terrible pass defense. If their offense isn't wildly productive, they aren't the #2 team in the country. Georgia is average at best. Mallett put up a big goose egg in the 4th quarters against Alabama and Texas A&M, and Mallett had a solid, yet unspectacular game against the Gamecocks...the star of that game was the Arkansas RB.

az im sorry mine I am trying to listen to you but am having a hard time hearing passed the like FIVE TD's he scored today

This is my thing here....

- Andrew Luck (and no he was not mentioned in this post by you) will no doubt be a fine qb....my question is what team would give us a mint of high draft picks in order to be able to draft him so that we can get what will be a perfectly fine QB in Ryan Mallet while still being able to pick up

- A starting Right OT

- Pass rush help

- More pass rush help

- maybe a decent blocking tight end?

Just sayin

Luck is the one I'd be most comfortable with drafting with our top pick (although he looked pretty bad against an average Arizona State team tonight), but there are a lot of Dlinemen with first round grades from Kiper and others this year. I'd love to see us find a trading partner and revamp our Dline and leave the QB for later in the draft.

Murray is good I agree, but he has nothing to do with Mallett. And he has a WR named AJ Green- You may have heard of him- Who is an absolute beast, and catches the ball no matter where its thrown.

And i dont call a 4-5 record clutch either.

Of course Murray himself has nothing to do with Mallett...it's pretty obvious that's not what I'm saying. The DECISION we make has EVERYTHING to do with both of these guys (as well as Luck and whichever other QBs were considering drafting). You make good decisions by comparing and contrasting...which qualities are present in one guy but not the other? Which is the best fit for the NFL game? Which is the best fit for BUFFALO? Nix and company will certainly compare these players, and I think there is a "winner" quality that is plain as day in a player like Murray, but absent in a guy like Mallett.

Maylock is the guy I listen to when it comes to draft.....god was he right about Maybin

Same here. I really missed his takes when I didn't have NFL Network. The guy is right much more often than he is wrong.

AJ, I think you're a smart guy, but I really think you're letting your biases get in the way here.

Mallett's had a fantastic season in his own right, and has the potential to be a very good QB in the NFL, of the caliber the Bills haven't had in forever. Just because Murray might be the next best ever QB, doesn't mean Mallett is horrible.

AJ, I think you're a smart guy, but I really think you're letting your biases get in the way here.

Mallett's had a fantastic season in his own right, and has the potential to be a very good QB in the NFL, of the caliber the Bills haven't had in forever. Just because Murray might be the next best ever QB, doesn't mean Mallett is horrible.

I don't know what biases they would be, in all honesty. I don't really have a horse in the college game. I enjoy watching the best matchups of the week, but I'm not really a "fan" of any particular team....well, except my Temple Owls, but they haven't really been relevant since the late 80s (although we're on the upswing, baby!!)

I took an interest in SEC ball when I moved to Atlanta ten years ago. Aside from the fact that I hate Alabama and tend to enjoy routing for the Gamecocks, I don't really have any association or emotional involvement with any college team. I just have a strong opinion on Mallett...that's it. I love the Bills as much or more than anyone else,and I don't want to see us make a mistake with this guy.

Mallett is like the really hot girl with the venereal disease.

And by the way, I've been trying to find some current scouting reports on the guy, and trust me, they are NOT all glowing. There are quite a few of them citing his lack of accuracy, and speculating that he's a product of the system he plays in. So I may end up being wrong in the end, but my view on the guy isn't as "out there" as some of you may think.

Edited by ajzepp

I don't know what biases they would be, in all honesty. I don't really have a horse in the college game. I enjoy watching the best matchups of the week, but I'm not really a "fan" of any particular team....well, except my Temple Owls, but they haven't really been relevant since the late 80s (although we're on the upswing, baby!!)

I took an interest in SEC ball when I moved to Atlanta ten years ago. Aside from the fact that I hate Alabama and tend to enjoy routing for the Gamecocks, I don't really have any association or emotional involvement with any college team. I just have a strong opinion on Mallett...that's it. I love the Bills as much or more than anyone else,and I don't want to see us make a mistake with this guy.

Mallett is like the really hot girl with the venereal disease.

If that's the case, what, specifically, don't you like about Mallett's game?

I admit I haven't watched much of his play this year, but I don't buy the argument that "Mallett sucks because this guy is good".

If that's the case, what, specifically, don't you like about Mallett's game?

I admit I haven't watched much of his play this year, but I don't buy the argument that "Mallett sucks because this guy is good".

I must not be articulating myself, cause I don't know that you guys are really getting what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that Mallett sucks because Murray is good. I'm trying to say that, based on my reactions and observations to when I've seen both play, I've noticed a quality that I consider VERY important to be very apparent in Aaron Murray, whereas I have yet to really see it in Mallett.

Against the best opponents, he tends to put up much better numbers in the first half than he does the second half. It could be that opposing D-coordinators just find it easy to make adjustments against the guy later in the game, but I think the more likely cause is simply the fact that he's not a clutch performer. He can't finish. He can't put his team on his shoulders and lead them to a big game win in the 4th quarter. After the game, Malletts balls are still safe and comfy in the warm confines of his nutsack, whereas Aaron Murrays are left all over the field.

I just believe that if you can't raise your game in college and find ways to beat better teams, chances are you won't just develop that quality once you hit the pros. If we were talking about drafting Mallett at some point later in the draft - or at least NOT in the first round - I wouldn't be reacting like this. But to draft this guy with our top pick - potentially the FIRST pick in the entire draft - that makes me throw up a little.

Think of it this way....let's say there was a Ryan Mallett clone playing for college team X. Clone Mallett had the exact same stats as statue Mallett except for one thing...interceptions. Clone Mallett had just as many INTs as TDs, whereas statue Mallett had a nice 2:1 ratio or better. Some of you guys would feel pretty strongly that clone Mallett would be crap because of the INTs, and you'd be pretty mad if the Bills drafted the guy. Same with a RB...what if you had two top rated RBs, but one had a fumbling issue to go along with all sorts of other fancy stats? Most NFL coaches would never tolerate a fumbler, regardless of whether he had a 5.0 ypc average and scored 20 TDs a season. Well, this isn't quite as tangible as INTs or fumbles, but to me it's just as important. And if a QB doesn't have the goods upstairs, I don't want the guy...no matter what his stats are.

Edited by ajzepp

I must not be articulating myself, cause I don't know that you guys are really getting what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that Mallett sucks because Murray is good. I'm trying to say that, based on my reactions and observations to when I've seen both play, I've noticed a quality that I consider VERY important to be very apparent in Aaron Murray, whereas I have yet to really see it in Mallett.

Against the best opponents, he tends to put up much better numbers in the first half than he does the second half. It could be that opposing D-coordinators just find it easy to make adjustments against the guy later in the game, but I think the more likely cause is simply the fact that he's not a clutch performer. He can't finish. He can't put his team on his shoulders and lead them to a big game win in the 4th quarter. After the game, Malletts balls are still safe and comfy in the warm confines of his nutsack, whereas Aaron Murrays are left all over the field.

I just believe that if you can't raise your game in college and find ways to beat better teams, chances are you won't just develop that quality once you hit the pros. If we were talking about drafting Mallett at some point later in the draft - or at least NOT in the first round - I wouldn't be reacting like this. But to draft this guy with our top pick - potentially the FIRST pick in the entire draft - that makes me throw up a little.

Gotcha. From the first post, I couldn't tell what you liked better about Murray, but I think I understand.

What you're saying is that you don't like Mallett's less measurable skillset. How he deals with pressure, being a leader, how he reacts to situations which don't always go his way. Which is a common criticism on here of Fitz - they like him until he gets into those types of situations.

Gotcha. From the first post, I couldn't tell what you liked better about Murray, but I think I understand.

What you're saying is that you don't like Mallett's less measurable skillset. How he deals with pressure, being a leader, how he reacts to situations which don't always go his way. Which is a common criticism on here of Fitz - they like him until he gets into those types of situations.

Yes, you hit it exactly, and you said it better than I did. That is 100% how I feel.

Yes, you hit it exactly, and you said it better than I did. That is 100% how I feel.

I'm curious to see how he performs in their bowl game. If you're right, it should become pretty obvious there (provided ARK is playing a decent opponent).

(Speaking of which.... I wish we got a bowl game. /sigh)

Edited by BlueFire

I'm curious to see how he performs in their bowl game. If you're right, it should become pretty obvious there (provided ARK is playing a decent opponent).

(Speaking of which.... I wish we got a bowl game. /sigh)

Totally agree. Just looked up their bowl game from last year (which I didn't see).

"...Razorbacks insisted they were unusually focused on this one. It didn't show. Arkansas' vaunted offense had the ball for only 22:05. Ryan Mallett was named most valuable player, but he went only 15 of 36 for 202 yards and a touchdown...Arkansas won despite going 0 for 13 on third down" (source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/02/liberty-bowl-2010-arkansa_n_409513.html)

That's another example of what I"m talking about...0 for 13 on 3rd down??? WTF??

Maybe he'll play lights out in their bowl game this year? 0:)

I guess we should go ahead and draft Kyle Parker then based on your assesment on what I'm guessing was mostly just watching todays game. Go watch the Auburn game that Parker played in, it's even better then Murray's.

I've seen all or part of every GA game this season except one. And as I mentioned earlier, Auburn's pass defense is easily the worst in the SEC...Trent Edwards could light them up.

Edited by ajzepp

Totally agree. Just looked up their bowl game from last year (which I didn't see).

"...Razorbacks insisted they were unusually focused on this one. It didn't show. Arkansas' vaunted offense had the ball for only 22:05. Ryan Mallett was named most valuable player, but he went only 15 of 36 for 202 yards and a touchdown...Arkansas won despite going 0 for 13 on third down" (source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/02/liberty-bowl-2010-arkansa_n_409513.html)

That's another example of what I"m talking about...0 for 13 on 3rd down??? WTF??

Maybe he'll play lights out in their bowl game this year? 0:)

I've seen all or part of every GA game this season except one. And as I mentioned earlier, Auburn's pass defense is easily the worst in the SEC...Trent Edwards could light them up.

Ok....so then why are you playing down Mallet so much and talking about how much of a STAR Murray is or will be based mainly off his performance against the worst pass defense in the conference? He's tough, but he tore apart a pass defense that everyone else does, and has the next best NFL receiver to throw to. That has nothing to do with Mallet, and like I said with Parker who is a similar build and had a much more gutsier performance then Murray, doesn't mean that he's a star and he's 2-3 years more experienced then Aaron.

Ok....so then why are you playing down Mallet so much and talking about how much of a STAR Murray is or will be based mainly off his performance against the worst pass defense in the conference? He's tough, but he tore apart a pass defense that everyone else does, and has the next best NFL receiver to throw to. That has nothing to do with Mallet, and like I said with Parker who is a similar build and had a much more gutsier performance then Murray, doesn't mean that he's a star and he's 2-3 years more experienced then Aaron.

Because Mallett is being talked about as our potential first pick in the draft and Aaron Murray is a freshman. Aaron Murray has also been showing flashes of greatness all season, not just the game against Auburn today.

And I totally agree about AJ Green. I like this kid so much I would almost love to see us take him with our first pick, even though we have no need there. This guy is a game changer, and given the mediocre talent on the offensive side of the ball for the 'dawgs, he's been a great partner for Murray.