What's the knock on Palin?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone else is off stroking each others light sabers, I'll give an honest answer from someone who probably leans more liberal.

I don't hate Sarah Palin, I just don't care for her because, like most people, I don't care for the way the majority of politicians act and she embodies a lot the reason why. I don't dislike her because she's different, I dislike her because she is the same. Specifically:

1. She is the prototypical hatchet thrower whose idea of leadership is to rile up the people on "her side" into a frothing frenzy. No one will ever convince me that their side is 100% good and the others is 100% bad. My mother, love her to death, is like this and drives me nuts. Both my parents are liberal and therefore I was raised from that point of view. So I still carry many of those viewpoints but I can barely have a conversation with my mom because she is just too partisan. When normal people discuss politics like this, it is irritating. But when political leaders do it, it is harder to stomach because they are causing real damage. She speaks in talking points and engages in acts of false-indignation which open her up to charges of partisan hypocrisy (her ridiculous facebook letter to Rahm Emmanuel for his "retarded" comment comes to mind). The fact that she has now become more of a celebrity than a politician, has allowed her to ratchet it up even more. Twitter? Really? Tweeting 140 characters of canned partisan rhetoric is embarrassing enough when it comes from some actor or football player. But coming from a tenured politician who is actually seen as a viable presidential candidate by many? Jesus...

2. I think she is phony. Obviously this is based on nothing more than my observations and feelings, but I find her canned expressions and mannerisms to be hokey. Her debate winks, her "hockey mom/lipstick" and her "Gee, dontcha know" speaking style just strike me as contrived. I was watching GMA the other morning and they interviewed her about Bristol and Dancing with the Stars and she gave this line about how she just told her daughter "Doggone it! Just go and have fun!" I just can't believe that she actually speaks and acts in such a caricatured way when the cameras aren't rolling.

3. I didn't much care for the reports of the whole "Ex-brother-in-law cop" thing and I didn't much like that she quit her Governership early so she could start to cash in on her newly found celebrity. Now I know, wow, a politician who wields their influence in an underhanded way and who abandons their current duty for higher personal gain...nothing new here. But again, it's how she is similar to the average slimy politician that draws my ire, not how she is different.

Other than that, there is the incredibly obvious reason that her viewpoints don't align with mine.

I don't think she is stupid. I think that is a cop-out. I don't think she is a beacon of knowledge and sophistication either. She was thrust into the national spotlight before she could be expected to be ready. But she's had a few years now of center stage and her actions have done nothing to convince me that is she anything more than what I described above. If anything, she has regressed.

If I had to choose the core reason, it's paragraph 1. I would think even the most conservative among us would agree that this is how she operates. Some people might like a leader who demonizes the other side and divides. I don't. It is a guaranteed way to make me tune out and it is insulting. I remember GWB in one of the 2004 debates where he kept using the word "liberal" like it belonged in Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Say routine. He might as well have been saying faggot.

Let me stop anyone whose first reaction is to point out all the democrats who do this. Save your breath. I'm well aware the sword cuts both ways. If there is one thing that I'm most disappointed in Obama about, it's this. Hope and Change wasn't realistic. But the one area that I allowed myself to get my hopes up about was that he wouldn't engage in the blame game and he might actually be a unifier. He has miserably failed at that and it's embarrassing.

Finally, if you're actually looking for a reason why many people have a strong dislike of her, I'd offer that all you need to do is turn your own question around. Why are so many people infatuated by her? I'd bet a lot of the people that don't like her have the same reasons I do (and probably many more stronger ones as well). If you don't like someone, but no one really seems to disagree, then emotions tend to stay cool. It's when you don't like someone whom a lot of people love that your dislike is fueled further because you can't figure out why. No one really cares about the girl who can't sing. It's when the girl who can't sing has 10 million fans and puts out platinum records that you go "WTF?"

I could ramble on and make this even more boring than it already was if you managed to reach this sentence. But maybe that will shed some light if you were actually looking for an answer.

~Mace Windu

Since everyone else is off stroking each others light sabers, I'll give an honest answer from someone who probably leans more liberal.

I don't hate Sarah Palin, I just don't care for her because, like most people, I don't care for the way the majority of politicians act and she embodies a lot the reason why. I don't dislike her because she's different, I dislike her because she is the same. Specifically:

1. She is the prototypical hatchet thrower whose idea of leadership is to rile up the people on "her side" into a frothing frenzy. No one will ever convince me that their side is 100% good and the others is 100% bad. My mother, love her to death, is like this and drives me nuts. Both my parents are liberal and therefore I was raised from that point of view. So I still carry many of those viewpoints but I can barely have a conversation with my mom because she is just too partisan. When normal people discuss politics like this, it is irritating. But when political leaders do it, it is harder to stomach because they are causing real damage. She speaks in talking points and engages in acts of false-indignation which open her up to charges of partisan hypocrisy (her ridiculous facebook letter to Rahm Emmanuel for his "retarded" comment comes to mind). The fact that she has now become more of a celebrity than a politician, has allowed her to ratchet it up even more. Twitter? Really? Tweeting 140 characters of canned partisan rhetoric is embarrassing enough when it comes from some actor or football player. But coming from a tenured politician who is actually seen as a viable presidential candidate by many? Jesus...

2. I think she is phony. Obviously this is based on nothing more than my observations and feelings, but I find her canned expressions and mannerisms to be hokey. Her debate winks, her "hockey mom/lipstick" and her "Gee, dontcha know" speaking style just strike me as contrived. I was watching GMA the other morning and they interviewed her about Bristol and Dancing with the Stars and she gave this line about how she just told her daughter "Doggone it! Just go and have fun!" I just can't believe that she actually speaks and acts in such a caricatured way when the cameras aren't rolling.

3. I didn't much care for the reports of the whole "Ex-brother-in-law cop" thing and I didn't much like that she quit her Governership early so she could start to cash in on her newly found celebrity. Now I know, wow, a politician who wields their influence in an underhanded way and who abandons their current duty for higher personal gain...nothing new here. But again, it's how she is similar to the average slimy politician that draws my ire, not how she is different.

Other than that, there is the incredibly obvious reason that her viewpoints don't align with mine.

I don't think she is stupid. I think that is a cop-out. I don't think she is a beacon of knowledge and sophistication either. She was thrust into the national spotlight before she could be expected to be ready. But she's had a few years now of center stage and her actions have done nothing to convince me that is she anything more than what I described above. If anything, she has regressed.

If I had to choose the core reason, it's paragraph 1. I would think even the most conservative among us would agree that this is how she operates. Some people might like a leader who demonizes the other side and divides. I don't. It is a guaranteed way to make me tune out and it is insulting. I remember GWB in one of the 2004 debates where he kept using the word "liberal" like it belonged in Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Say routine. He might as well have been saying faggot.

Let me stop anyone whose first reaction is to point out all the democrats who do this. Save your breath. I'm well aware the sword cuts both ways. If there is one thing that I'm most disappointed in Obama about, it's this. Hope and Change wasn't realistic. But the one area that I allowed myself to get my hopes up about was that he wouldn't engage in the blame game and he might actually be a unifier. He has miserably failed at that and it's embarrassing.

Finally, if you're actually looking for a reason why many people have a strong dislike of her, I'd offer that all you need to do is turn your own question around. Why are so many people infatuated by her? I'd bet a lot of the people that don't like her have the same reasons I do (and probably many more stronger ones as well). If you don't like someone, but no one really seems to disagree, then emotions tend to stay cool. It's when you don't like someone whom a lot of people love that your dislike is fueled further because you can't figure out why. No one really cares about the girl who can't sing. It's when the girl who can't sing has 10 million fans and puts out platinum records that you go "WTF?"

I could ramble on and make this even more boring than it already was if you managed to reach this sentence. But maybe that will shed some light if you were actually looking for an answer.

~Mace Windu

This is my much closer to the truth than what most people believe. I have said all along that she is too polarizing, a perennial bomb thrower and lacks sophistication but by no means is she a dummy.

~Mace Windu

Thanks for this. It's a fairly comprehensive, and wishful thinking free, description of "the way things are" regarding Palin, Obama, politicians in general and our political discourse in general.

A few responses:

1. MOST politicians are pragmatic. If the behavior you have been describing is happening, it's only because it tends to work. However, I don't see the TEA party being swayed by rhetoric as much as results. And, they are more educated than any other political block. So perhaps there is hope on this front.

2. Many ARE annoyed that the "girl who can't sing" has a fan base. Have you considered: that she exposes the crazy, and the hypocrisy of leftists is just as good a reason to be her fan as any other? :lol: Look at this board. There is no single faster way to prove that the Palin haters are irrational, than to use their Palin posts as evidence. If we can do this on a message board, what can the professionals do?

The fun part is: apparently the Palin haters are too stupid to realize they are getting played, and that is hysterical. :lol: Yes, I do think that no serious GOP power broker will suffer Palin as the candidate in 2012. That doesn't mean they won't use her, as I said above, as a Howard Dean and draw out Democrat $$$ to waste chasing her down an idiot's rabbit hole.

Edited by OCinBuffalo