Christmas Football

Mediaman

Should the players/coaches have a bye week to spend with family and friends during the holidays  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should the players/coaches have a bye week to spend with family and friends during the holidays

• Yes
    • No

It only happens a couple times every handful of years that Christmas falls on a weekend, so I voted no to this. If this was the case, then there shouldn't be any games on Thanksgiving and New Years either. I can understand the religious side of it but hell, if malls and every store imaginable is now open Christmas Day, why not play football. Also, if it's a religious thing, then maybe the NFL should play on Saturdays so they don't interfere with Sunday's religious background, unless you're a Seventh Day Adventist, then it would be okay on Sundays but not Saturdays.

I would have mentioned that no games should be on Labor Day either but the "television executives" already took away that great football weekend from us.

If for nothing else, this is the one time of year the players are the "suckers". Every now and then fans get called suckers for following a team of players that don't care about you, don't know your name, and doesn't really effect you if they do fail.

We try to explain why we are fans, but some will still call us fools for watching overpayed althletes week in and week out even if they don't play well.

Well, let's turn the tables. On the 26th, I'll be sitting on my couch, with a belly full of leftover ham, turkey, etc ,etc, drinking a beer nice and warm, watching them playing a game, when they would probably rather be at home.

So, take THAT NFLPA!

:D

They can have the day off the same time our military, police, firemen, and other emergency services workers do.

153826[/snapback]

You forgot lock operators... :D:doh:

I voted yes because I gotta work. Christmas is the only holiday where I think everything non-essential should close.

Screw the double pay... If you got to work Christmas, make it triple time and you will never have a problem getting people to work it!

You forgot lock operators... :D  :doh:

I voted yes because I gotta work.  Christmas is the only holiday where I think everything non-essential should close.

Screw the double pay... If you got to work Christmas, make it triple time and you will never have a problem getting people to work it!

153955[/snapback]

Our Customer Service Dept is open 24/7/365 and they do pay triple. I don't think anyone would work otherwise.

It only happens a couple times every handful of years that Christmas falls on a weekend, so I voted no to this. If this was the case, then there shouldn't be any games on Thanksgiving and New Years either. I can understand the religious side of it but hell, if malls and every store imaginable is now open Christmas Day, why not play football. Also, if it's a religious thing, then maybe the NFL should play on Saturdays so they don't interfere with Sunday's religious background, unless you're a Seventh Day Adventist, then it would be okay on Sundays but not Saturdays.

I would have mentioned that no games should be on Labor Day either but the "television executives" already took away that great football weekend from us.

153825[/snapback]

Stores are now open on Christmas? You got to be kidding right?

Our Customer Service Dept is open 24/7/365 and they do pay triple. I don't think anyone would work otherwise.

153956[/snapback]

That is exactly my gripe. Every other holiday is no problem getting people to work except Christmas... There are always problems.

I know if they offered triple pay... People would fall over themselves to fill in for people who wanted off. My family is back in Buffalo... The local people would gladly fill in at that rate.

153825[/snapback]

amen

Stores are now open on Christmas?  You got to be kidding right?

153959[/snapback]

I'm not saying that all the Malls are open but I know of some grocery stores are open limited hours but regardless, they're still open. It's ridiculous. Why can't everything but the bare necessities like bars and fire stations, just close for one day a year?

I'm not saying that the Malls are open but I know of some grocery stores are open limited hours but regardless, they're still open. It's ridiculous. Why can't everything but the bare necessities like bars and fire stations, just close for one day a year?

153996[/snapback]

Ah ok, that's somewhat better. I know the CVS is opened but the supermarket is closed. I remember the diner was our meeting place after the holiday traditions were over with in the evening. Nothing like a twin burger deluxe and chocolate milk shake after a full day of eating....man to be 17 again.

As someone who's had to travel around the holiday, I'm glad there are businesses open. Nothing better than being in a hotel with nothing to eat except stale peanuts from the damn vending machine.

Christmas is nothing more than a giant commercial orgy anyway. Society lost sight of the meaning of it long ago.