Collinsworth just recommended Perry Fewell for the soon to be vacant C

Smiley Dear

Oh...Are you sold on the Buffalo D? or O?

I would not have been upset to see Fewell retained, but, I think you must not be watching the games, if you can't see that our offense, as many warts as it still has, has been better as a unit than it has since Drew Bledsoes' first year in Buffalo. The running game is not dominant, the offensive line is mediocre, at best...but they have been able to move the ball. A lot of that might be due to Fitzpatricks fearlessness, but I think you have to give Gailey some credit there. I wish he had not squandered a training camp, a pre-season, and the first two weeks of the season to come to the conclusion that Trent Edwards was unsalvadgable as a Bills QB, but he did make a pretty definitive move to resolve that situation. Since the bye week, IMO, Gailey has had very good offensive game plans, and we are finding out, thanks to him in large part, that guys like Roscoe Parrish and Steve Johnson are not merely names on a roster. After 5 years, it turns out, Roscoe can catch the ball, if it is thrown his way...

Now, the defense, I am not so crazy about, although it has made some minimal strides the last few weeks...Gailey is not the guy I would have picked either, but he is finally starting to make a positive imprint on this team. They may not be any better than 2-14, 1-15, or, god forbid 0-16, but you can be sure, he is going to maximize what talent is on the roster. I don't think you could be that sure about that under the previous regime...

I do know one thing. The Bills would not have any fewer wins with Fewell as its head coach this year, and I have to believe the defense wouldn't be atrocious as it is now.

Pick your poison. Instead of losing to Baltimore 37-34 the offense could have remained stuck and we could have lost the last 3 games games 20-0, 10-3, and 21-2. At least the team is watchable and progressing in some direction.

I do know one thing. The Bills would not have any fewer wins with Fewell as its head coach this year, and I have to believe the defense wouldn't be atrocious as it is now.

I liked Fewell as a head coach, more than I liked his defense. Lets' not kid ourselves, the defense wasn't really all that stellar under Fewell either. No. 2 against the pass, but No. 32 against the run! I hated the scheme he (Fewell) used (was it his or Jauron's), as we never really had the right players to run it effectively. We might find the same thing under Edwards...but give him as much time...and let them find the players they need.

fewell actually won a couple of games with this team...something that Gailey hasn't done. Gailey has had since the day he took the job the authority through drafting, free agency or trade to make significant improvements..and the team is worse than it was when he got here. Fewell given a chance would almost certainly have started Fitz, and I can't imagine he wouldn't have gotten an offensive or defensive line starter with picks one and two. Big mistake not going with him as head coach.

fewell actually won a couple of games with this team...something that Gailey hasn't done. Gailey has had since the day he took the job the authority through drafting, free agency or trade to make significant improvements..and the team is worse than it was when he got here. Fewell given a chance would almost certainly have started Fitz, and I can't imagine he wouldn't have gotten an offensive or defensive line starter with picks one and two. Big mistake not going with him as head coach.

And Gailey still might win a few. Like I said, I would have been very happy with Fewell, if given the option of he or Chan Gailey. That said, I think Gailey is making some difference. Like somebody else mentioned, I would rather watch a team lose 22-19, or 20-17, 35-32, than one lose 20-3 or 13-6. The truth is, the defense was bad under Fewell too. It could be as much a personal issue as anything. But, Fewell or Gailey, you are still going to have the same owner and GM. Let's face it, coaching the Bills, and perhaps managing, has unique challanges that wouldn't necessarily exist in other NFL franchises. I am sorry, as one who hated the Gailey choice at the begining, I am pleasently surpriesed so far. The Bills have been more entertaining to watch, over the last month or so, than they have been in ages. That is an improvement in my eyes. I am willing to give Gailey more time to right this ship, before writing him off. I have liked some of what I have seen, in recent weeks. And, despite the losses, the defense has shown slight improvement the last three weeks.

Oh...Are you sold on the Buffalo D? or O?

I never said that. If anyone is sold on the Buffalo defense, their head needs to be examined. It's clear that unit either doesn't have the talent or is in a bad scheme based on whatever personnel they have. I'm leaning towards the former, but it's probably a combination of the two.

I'm more sold on the offense than I was in Weeks 1-4, but I'm not exactly claiming this is the greatest show on turf. They have made huge strides since the bye week and as Buftex said, Gailey's imprint is all over this offense. Even though I still think Fitz is not a franchise/number 1 QB, the offensive players have to be more satisfied with their performances than when Edwards was QB.

I'm also not saying Fewell wouldn't have done a good job here. I just think Ralph wanted to cut his losses from the Jauron regime and keeping Fewell wouldn't have allowed him to do that. A fresh start is what this organization needed.

And Gailey still might win a few. Like I said, I would have been very happy with Fewell, if given the option of he or Chan Gailey. That said, I think Gailey is making some difference. Like somebody else mentioned, I would rather watch a team lose 22-19, or 20-17, 35-32, than one lose 20-3 or 13-6. The truth is, the defense was bad under Fewell too. It could be as much a personal issue as anything. But, Fewell or Gailey, you are still going to have the same owner and GM. Let's face it, coaching the Bills, and perhaps managing, has unique challanges that wouldn't necessarily exist in other NFL franchises. I am sorry, as one who hated the Gailey choice at the begining, I am pleasently surpriesed so far. The Bills have been more entertaining to watch, over the last month or so, than they have been in ages. That is an improvement in my eyes. I am willing to give Gailey more time to right this ship, before writing him off. I have liked some of what I have seen, in recent weeks. And, despite the losses, the defense has shown slight improvement the last three weeks.

I'd just plain rather watch a team actually win a few games and maybe even (gasp!) go to the playoffs. The team we had the day Jauron was fired was a player or two from going to the playoffs. Unfortunately those players were quarterback and offensive tackle, two critical players. We didn't address those issues in draft, trade or free agency and we crazily changed our defensive scheme without a significant change in personnel. Going from a middling team (with a lot of defensive injuries) to the worst team in football took a lot of poor coaching, gm and owner choices.

I'd just plain rather watch a team actually win a few games and maybe even (gasp!) go to the playoffs. The team we had the day Jauron was fired was a player or two from going to the playoffs. Unfortunately those players were quarterback and offensive tackle, two critical players. We didn't address those issues in draft, trade or free agency and we crazily changed our defensive scheme without a significant change in personnel. Going from a middling team (with a lot of defensive injuries) to the worst team in football took a lot of poor coaching, gm and owner choices.

Don't forget, a coach...I think you are overestimating that Bills talent...

All Fewell has to do in an interview is point out his record as Bills coach in 2009, compare it to the 2010 team and just let the team interviewing him say "You're hired!" Every week the Bills are looking dumber & dumber for not realizing they already had the best coaching candidate available already coaching the team. What was Gailey's selling point? That he was going to turn Trent Edwards into a quality QB? Fewell already knew Fitzpatrick was better than Edwards. This team would be better off with Fewell as head coach and last year's staff than what they have now. All they needed was to get an offensive coordinator and for Fewell to tweak the D away from what Jauron ordered him to do. Now I must admit that I wanted Fewell gone because I blamed him for the Tampa defense, but I was dead wrong-Perry Fewell should be coaching the Bills.

Probably that he was personally recommended by the almighty "Saint Cowher" when he turned down the Bills asking if he would interview

The Bills were 2-4 under him, not counting the season ender against the Colts' backups.

So now that Indy game counts against Fewell because the former interim HC is looking better than the current winless HC?

You can't have it both ways. Either Buffalo is 6-10 last year and he was 3-4 or you're selectively pulling W-L totals to illustrate a weak point that it wasn't all Fewell.

Edited by BillsVet

So now that Indy game counts against Fewell because the former interim HC is looking better than the current winless HC?

You can't have it both ways. Either Buffalo is 6-10 last year and he was 3-4 or you're selectively pulling W-L totals to illustrate a weak point that it wasn't all Fewell.

I'm not saying that game counts against him, BV. I'm saying it doesn't count at all. The Bills' starters played the Colts' backups. Had it been starters against starters, we all know what the outcome would have been. So in reality Fewell was 2-4 and Jauron was 2-7, and the Bills overall were 5-10 and would have been 5-11 if the Colts had played their starters.

But I'm curious to see what Fewell can do with him own team. The Giants had a lot of injuries on defense last year and all the players are back and healthy (except Kiwi, who is out).

im sorry but even though you make sense and know your stuff, you havent been on the board long enough to be right.

really? from the guy that signed up 2 months ago?

Good posts are good posts. It doesn't matter if it is a noob or Lori, if it is sensible, well thought out, and reasonable, then it has a place here. Yours is a crap post. So, zip it.

Don't forget, a coach...I think you are overestimating that Bills talent...

I really don't think so...Evans, Owens, Johnson and Parrish at receiver, Fitz at QB (under Fewell) Wood Hamgartner and Levitre (two tackles needed) Lynch, Jackson at running back, McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Byrd, Wilson, Poz, Schobel Williams Kelsay Stroud, Lindell and Moorman...we had some real talent there.

Since then we didn't get the tackles we needed, let Owens go, fooled around with

Trent Edwards, avoided Free Agency (except the brilliant move to get Cornell Green, which was laughable from the moment it happened.) and drafted another freakin running back.

You are right though in that Jauron probably wouldn't have taken us to the playoff..but then Gailey is only taking us to the cellar.