A solution for the Bills Defense to help stop the run

Got_Wood

Since they seem to like experimenting with the defense so much, why not try something like this?

In a 4-3 defensive alignment, start this group:

LDE: Carrington (supposed strength is stopping the run)

LDT: Stroud

RDT: Troup

RDE: Williams (Athletic, strong pass rusher, quicker than most players his size)

WLB: Poz

MLB: Davis

SLB: Moats

This gives you a stout, strong, and athletic defensive front 7. Plus you have Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, John McCargo, and Chris Kelsay (last resort) as depth players. I would even try out Maybin at the SLB spot. We need to figure out if this guy has any value at this point.

Since they seem to like experimenting with the defense so much, why not try something like this?

RDE: Williams (Athletic, strong pass rusher, quicker than most players his size)

I like it. I'll email it to Chan. :thumbsup:

This gives you a stout, strong, and athletic defensive front 7. Plus you have Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, John McCargo, and Chris Kelsay (last resort) as depth players. I would even try out Maybin at the SLB spot. We need to figure out if this guy has any value at this point.

If you think the Bills had trouble "setting the edge" and defending stretch plays now, imagine if Carrington and Williams were playing DE! They would also have absolutely no pass rush, but I guess it would be no big loss since they don't have one now.

If you think the Bills had trouble "setting the edge" and defending stretch plays now, imagine if Carrington and Williams were playing DE! They would also have absolutely no pass rush, but I guess it would be no big loss since they don't have one now.

Exactly. What is the downside of this formation? It can't get any worse.

I actually think that Carrington and Williams will be better at holding the edge than Kelsay and Edwards. The front four I listed are the most talented lineman we have in my opinion. Would love to see them all out there at once.

I actually think that Carrington and Williams will be better at holding the edge than Kelsay and Edwards. The front four I listed are the most talented lineman we have in my opinion. Would love to see them all out there at once.

I agree that the guys you listed are probably our most talented. But we would have zero pass rush in this scenario. Not that we have much of one now, but this would likely eliminate the little bit we do have.

I agree that the guys you listed are probably our most talented. But we would have zero pass rush in this scenario. Not that we have much of one now, but this would likely eliminate the little bit we do have.

KC ran the ball for 274 yards on us. Getting the ball run your throat is the most frustrating football to watch. The only reason imo we were in the game was Charlie Weis choosing to not run.

I'm not sure how you can say that Carrington is one of our most talented linemen when he can't even get on the field.

:thumbsup: I like it. By the way, is Moats healthy, or still injured...I really want to see that kid play DE or OLB the rest of this lost season. Plus I agree 100% that Maybin should play every single down the rest of the year too.

As bad as this defense is with 7 losses already racked up, how on earth is Gailey justifying not playing his young vets and rookies on defense?? I understand that his offense is improving, so it makes more sense to keep playing Fitz instead of giving Brohm snaps of experience. I get that. But as we watch millionaire "defensive end" Chris Kelsay line up all over he field and continue to make zero plays, while the rest of his defense sucks almost as badly as he does, what difference could playing the young kids instead possibly make?? :doh:

KC ran the ball for 274 yards on us. Getting the ball run your throat is the most frustrating football to watch. The only reason imo we were in the game was Charlie Weis choosing to not run.

In the words of James Hetfield..."Sad but True"

I was thinking you were going to say allow them to play with 13 players on defense instead of 11...

I think we should go more like a 3-3 deffense with a rusher that jumps arond.

Johnson

Williams

Edwards

These are probably the three fastest big guys we have with experience the clog up the front I would also like to start seeing Carrington some.

Maybin-lets try to use his speed one last time by letting him read the offense and find the holes so he can just rush the passer or the running lane. He may not be big enough to tackle the running back but should slow him down enough for someone else to tackle him. If that doesn't work get rid of him but I figure what do we have to lose.

and

Moats

Poz

Davis

as LB in a rotation with the others

I don't see the need for a pass rush when teams can just run on you all day. It is a lose lose for this defense right now. If we load the box teams will put it in the air or take advantage of the glaring LB mismatches. If we don't teams run up and down the field. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I think at 0 and 7 what do we have to lose by switching it up and getting players in there to see what scenario works moving forward? Then again I guess if Fitz is going to lower his shoulder into LBs and DBs then it would only be right that Chan puts the best possible defense on the field to help give him a chance to win the game. Even if that defense isn't even on our roster :lol:

Unfortunately I think this is a purely academic exercise. A problem with no solution.

I watched the 30 minute 'shortcut' replay of the game last night. They show more or less every play. IMO, after watching that, there is no way to stop the run with this set of players. The Chiefs had 45 rushing attempts for an average of 6.1 yards per carry. I can count on one hand the number of plays where the Bills D held the point of attack of got any penetration on the play. On most plays they were blown off the ball, as a group, 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Unfortunately I think this is a purely academic exercise. A problem with no solution.

I watched the 30 minute 'shortcut' replay of the game last night. They show more or less every play. IMO, after watching that, there is no way to stop the run with this set of players. The Chiefs had 45 rushing attempts for an average of 6.1 yards per carry. I can count on one hand the number of plays where the Bills D held the point of attack of got any penetration on the play. On most plays they were blown off the ball, as a group, 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage.

We should absolutely play the Bear 52 and make people throw the ball on us when teams are doing that ****. We've supposedly got superstar DBs, lets make them lock somebody down over the top.

Williams on the end...yeah...let's do that...

:wallbash::wallbash::oops:

I don't see him being that much different than Justin Smith: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5451

He's a little shorter and stouter, but just as athletic. He's got the best pass rushing ability on the team, and he's probably our most athletic lineman.

I'll ask you this... what the hell do we have to lose here?