Syracuse University 2010-11 Basketball

bills44

No, not really. How many wins differentiate "elite" teams from "mediocre" ones?

Bottom line, Dixon owns the 2-3. Tonight, the vaunted 2-3 let a 6-5 PF put up 21 points on 8-12 shooting

Pitt - 13-3, SU - 11-5 (1-1 vs. Pitt)

Pitt - 10-6, SU - 11-5 (0-2 vs. Pitt)

Pitt - 10-6, SU - 7-9 (1-1 vs. Pitt, neither game was in the Dome)

Pitt - 12-4, SU - 10-6 (0-1 vs. Pitt, SU was in the NIT)

Pitt - 10-8, SU - 9-9 (0-1 vs. Pitt, SU was in the NIT)

Pitt - 15-3, SU - 11-7 (0-1 vs. Pitt)

Pitt - 13-5, SU - 15-3 (0-1 vs. Pitt)

So basically we beat them twice when we shouldn't have, and lost 3-4 we shouldn't have (and that's including the infamous '08 double digit Paul Harris collapse when we weren't really "better"). We have also beaten West Virginia a disproportionate % of the time (under both Beiline and Huggins)...but who cares? You want to find another coach who designs a program that's built to beat Pitt? Why?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird game.

Surprised we were in it late. Key play to me wasn't the Zanna stuff on Waiters/Brown jam-- but the Triche missed lay-up right around that time. We had a chance to go up when Triche missed a gimme around the rim. Also, the fact that we couldn't finish on the few fastbreaks we had was a real factor.

I was disappointed that we went away from the two-man Rick Jackson/Southerland offensive game late. That was working very well, and then they just abandoned it.

Unclear why Triche wasn't on the court for a lot of the second half. Perhaps defensive lapses?

Couldn't get over the hump to take the lead. As JR mentioned, the Triche miss on the gimme was a huge momentum swing. I believe Pitt followed that play up with a dunk on the other end that electrified the crowd.

I think you're right; either a dunk or a three. It was a huge momentum swing.

Oh, well; let's get things together for Villanova on Sat!

another disappointing performance against quality opposition.

I wouldn't be so down on this team yet. Nova has always been tough against our zone. You can't beat a team that hits 50% of their 3's--a ton of which were contested or past the NBA line--and then hits 90% of their FT's.

What was a little disappointing today was the many unforced turnovers by the Orange-- balls just sailing out of bounds, through guys hands, missed dunks, etc. Very weird and costly.

I wouldn't be so down on this team yet. Nova has always been tough against our zone. You can't beat a team that hits 50% of their 3's--a ton of which were contested or past the NBA line--and then hits 90% of their FT's.

What was a little disappointing today was the many unforced turnovers by the Orange-- balls just sailing out of bounds, through guys hands, missed dunks, etc. Very weird and costly.

the turnovers were terrible....no doubt about it. But it's become the norm, rather than the exception.

I thought that Nova hit a number of open threes, and even missed a number of really good looks. They lead the BE in FT shooting, so their performance at the line should have been no surprise (although, as an SU fan, I am a bit jealous of a team that can hit its FT consistently).

that's the thing, though -- you said "Nova has always been tough against our zone". you could say the same about Pitt, UL and UConn. Would it kill Boeheim to at least mix in some man-to-man?

the turnovers were terrible....no doubt about it. But it's become the norm, rather than the exception.

I thought that Nova hit a number of open threes, and even missed a number of really good looks. They lead the BE in FT shooting, so their performance at the line should have been no surprise (although, as an SU fan, I am a bit jealous of a team that can hit its FT consistently).

that's the thing, though -- you said "Nova has always been tough against our zone". you could say the same about Pitt, UL and UConn. Would it kill Boeheim to at least mix in some man-to-man?

I was thinking he'd go man late, when we were pressing. Some of our players--like Waiters and Southerland--probably would be a lot better in man.

Interesting to hear JB's presser--he called out Scoop and Waiters for poor play. Hopefully, these guys can turn it around when we head back to Philly.

Agreed. The zone is kinda like playcalling in football - fans only complain about it when the other team makes ridiculous shots (or our QB sucks). My biggest concern going forward after this game is the lack of upside on this team since, I didn't think we played all that terrible - we shot pretty well from 3 too, Joseph looked 100%, and we're still never really in the game in our building. I sorta felt that way before the game too - it's a deeper team than we're used to, but I don't think we have the star-power to win the whole thing. We certainly can't beat a good team when Scoop doesn't play well, as JB said.

:bag: That was the worst game I've ever seen (at least the Depaul massacre a few years ago was a road game).

Time to gear up for 2012. Hopefully this Christmas/Cooney/Carter-Williams class is the real deal.

I was debating whether this was the year to make the big trip to NYC for the BE Tourney; now, I'm thinking 2012.

If we beat UCONN away next week, then I'm back in.

Maybe this team isn't a #1 seed; and more like a #5 or #6 (or dare I say bubble??)

I heard about this. Not buying it. I'm sure there were words b/w JB and Waiters, but I think Waiters made some comment after the game about how the coach is in charge and he's going to listen to him. Not too worried.

Now reporting that Waiters practiced today; no worries.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/01/syracuse_basketball_player_dio.html

kind of odd though that during the game in question...mookie jones suddenly appears on the court....granted mired in a 3 game losing streak could be a reason for a shake up...still a bit coincidental.....hopefully if it did happen...dion learned his lesson....

Four game losing streak--panic time!!

I actually thought Syracuse played well, esp in second half. Game was tied and I believe Marquette drained two really hard 3's to win it basically. Hats off to them--they made the shots at the end.

Also, what was up with the officiating? Horrible!! Our guys were getting mauled on drives and rebounds and no calls? The Fab flagrant was a good example; he swung his elbow because the defender fouled him and had locked up his arm. Not the best crew out there...