Why call 3 pass plays with 1:30 left in OT?

DFITZ1

As if Charlie Weiss coached a masterpiece? :blink:

PTR

That's not the point. Gailey should have mixed it up offensively, but every time the Bills got close to FG range, he passed on every down. Going with an empty backfield was not a good move. At least have one RB there to show the defense that you might run. Is that unreasonable?

I respect the fact that Gailey has a lot of trust in Fitz, but he's got to have some faith in Fred Jackson too.

Gailey said that the Bills were going to be a more run-oriented offense, and I have seen nothing that indicates that.

These last 2 losses are on Gailey's shoulders.

Edited by MarkVaderr50

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That deep ball to spiller was one of the best play calls of the game. Fitzy blew the throw. Spiller was WIIIIIIIDE open.

Sure, but then come back with a run or two.... But in OT, they also went pass happy when runs may have been more appropriate, especially with KC playing pass (as we were obviously committing to do).

Yet had Fitz thrown that pass to Spiller a tard and a half shorter, everyone would be singing praises of Fitz....

Edited by Spiderweb

I don't like the empty backfield and telling the other team "We're going to pass". I would have liked more running. However, Gailey's plan was perfect. Got us in range for a makeable FG.

Put the blame where it belongs. Ryan Lindell. He was in range obviously because he made the first one and the second one was long enough but doinked.

That deep ball to spiller was one of the best play calls of the game. Fitzy blew the throw. Spiller was WIIIIIIIDE open.

when Spiller split out and the LB followed, I turned to my wife & said "Spiller deep for the TD" ... franchise QBs don't miss that one ... usually.

WGR is right. Complaining about play-calling is for mouth-breathing losers. Poor play-calling every game, every year. Yah, that's why we've sucked for a decade.

What the !@#$ does someone criticizing the play calling in yesterday's game have to do with sucking for a decade?

It seems that, from reading your posts, you relish in playing the role of message board contrarian, but this post is a huge stretch.

He called a great game so he went with what was working which the running game was not. BTW what is up with Fred? Has he been hanging around with spiller because he was dancin around all day back there instead making the read and hitting it hard.

Gotta disagree with you here. They were at the 37 and if they could've just gotten inside the 30, Lindell would have nailed the game winner. If I'm the coach, you have to run the ball here. You have three downs to get six or seven yards and win the game. Throwing the deep ball on first down did them in. Once that was incomplete, you still had two more tries to get a few yards and they threw again on second down. The third down play, I don't think Fitzpatrick had any intention of throwing the ball. He was trying to run for the first down and he only got three. Bad play calling and it cost them. I like Chan Gailey for the most part, but this made no sense to me.

Remember Monday night against the Browns a couple years ago? The Bills ran three straight running plays at the end of the game and everyone was on the coaching staff saying they should have done something to get closer to make it a more makeable FG. Well, you can't have it both ways. This is the exact opposite of that. Lindell did make the FG...unfortunately TO was called. The only thing that matters if that you execute a play well they could have been stopped for losses three straight times on runs and gotten out of FG position.