Best Cities to Move to in America

ricojes

Yeah, WNY isn't cold at all compared to Minneapolis... But because it gets so cold here, it doesn't snow as much either... So less need to be outside which is nice. :)

Downtown was built with the weather in mind, as well -- as they have the Skyway system -- bridges that connect all of the buildings so you can go pretty much anywhere without having to go outside. Very handy. :)

I love being outside in the winter....But, the best reason to be outside in the winter is to ski.......And, I don't think you have anywhere to ski in MN, do you?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldest Ive seen here in 15 years was -38 but that was a freak, only saw it that cold once or twice.

That was some winter-I think it was 98 or so-just missed by one day the record for most consecutive days that didn't get above zero-not days that went below zero, but days that didn't get above zero. It never snowed, but the world was white-a inch of Hoar frost on everything.

It doesn't usually get that cold here either --- don't know the coldest it's been, but probably higher than -38. Windchill, on the other hand, can be ruthless. We had around -70F windchills here in '95. I was stupid and went to class because I had an exam and the professor said he never allows make-up exams, and since the University specifically said classes were open... I went. Turns out he made an exception that day. :wallbash:

Normal lows are probably around -10, -20F tops, and the windchills usually don't go below -50F or so. But at least it's usually sunny those days, since there's usually no clouds (back to that "dry cold" comment ;) ).

I love being outside in the winter....But, the best reason to be outside in the winter is to ski.......And, I don't think you have anywhere to ski in MN, do you?

Lots of people like snow mobiling, ice fishing, etc in winter. I like to hibernate, but lots of people enjoy the weather for some reason... ;)

We have skiing here. I've never done it, so I don't know how good it is, but I know people who go to Afton Alps all the time:

http://www.aftonalps.com/

I've hiked their trails during fall, but never done the skiing or anything.

Pics? That I'd like to see.

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but there is a bridge just north of here that has seen its share of wind tipped over trucks. It is right in the line of sight of a glacial valley that drops from 10,000 ft to sea level[where the bridge is] and the wind builds up quite a head of steam.,

South 30 miles, bear valley[which is populated]gusts to 130 MPH have been recorded.

hmmmmmphh...how can Buffalo not be the BEST city to live in in the United States! In all seriousness it is nice to get some recognition. The points made are quite valid and well-deserved...now if the Bills would only make the playoffs, we'll probably be the best city in the world, if not the freakin' solar system.

I would move my family back to Buffalo in a second if I could get a transfer there. We have a small office there, but everyone is happy (in the Buffalo office) so I don't see it happending anytime soon. There is one guy who is going to retire in 4 or 5 years though.

Pray for me!

Yeah, WNY isn't cold at all compared to Minneapolis... But because it gets so cold here, it doesn't snow as much either... So less need to be outside which is nice. :)

Downtown was built with the weather in mind, as well -- as they have the Skyway system -- bridges that connect all of the buildings so you can go pretty much anywhere without having to go outside. Very handy. :)

Exactly! Yet, people equate snow with cold. Totally wrong. I never felt it as cold as when I moved to the upper midwest. Here the summers are hot and the winters brutally cold.

BFLO and places like DET are "tempered."

Exactly! Yet, people equate snow with cold. Totally wrong. I never felt it as cold as when I moved to the upper midwest. Here the summers are hot and the winters brutally cold.

BFLO and places like DET are "tempered."

When you live in a part of the country for nearly 30 years and have never seen it snow (other than in the mountains) you equate snow with cold.

When you live in a part of the country for nearly 30 years and have never seen it snow (other than in the mountains) you equate snow with cold.

Can't argue with that... So true.

Yet, tolerating cold is aquired... Just as with heat. Heck, it is 53 degrees F out today... In January with a 53 degree reading... I am running around in a t-shirt and shorts. Today, that 53 is semi-cold... :D

Just had a petrol tow coming up from New Orleans... The deck hands were dressed to the hilt... Parkas and balaclavas( :ph34r: )... The whole nine yards... 53 degrees?:blink: :blink:

Of course I put the fear of God in them: "Just wait till you get around the corner and the air from the lake hits you!" :D

• 2 weeks later...

So much for that theory. I think it was 60 and sunny in Buffalo today:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

Exactly... Fez's theory holds water. BFLO is a tempered climate: not as cold (and VERY snowy: that can happen) in the winter and cool/mild in the summer. Unlike the midwest and upper midwest like MN... Which is brutally hot in the summer and brutally cold in the winter.

Snow doesn't equate to just cold. Snow can be very heavy in tempered climates... Which BFLO has being situated alee (protected: believe it or not... BFLO is protected by Lake Erie) of (by) the lake. It is not uncommon for temps to be in the 50's and 60's in BFLO in JANUARY. Yet, you can also expect that in August! :nana:

So much for that theory. I think it was 60 and sunny in Buffalo today:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

I didn't say that it NEVER snows here... Just that it doesn't snow anywhere near as much as WNY.

Also, guess what? It was 60 in MN a few days ago too -- so WNY will probably get hit with this storm in a day or two..

According to Wikipedia:

The average annual snowfall in the Twin Cities is 45.3 inches (115.1 cm), with an average of 100 days per year with at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of snow cover. The most snow was the Twin Cities has officially seen during one winter was in 1983–1984 with 98.4 inches (250 cm), and the least was in 1930–1931 with 14.2 inches (36.1 cm).

Compare that to Buffalo:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/climate/buf_snow00s.php

I'd say the Twin Cities gets quite a bit less, considering our highest snowfall all-time is lower than seven of the last nine years in Buffalo. ;)

I didn't say that it NEVER snows here... Just that it doesn't snow anywhere near as much as WNY.

Also, guess what? It was 60 in MN a few days ago too -- so WNY will probably get hit with this storm in a day or two..

According to Wikipedia:

The average annual snowfall in the Twin Cities is 45.3 inches (115.1 cm), with an average of 100 days per year with at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of snow cover. The most snow was the Twin Cities has officially seen during one winter was in 1983–1984 with 98.4 inches (250 cm), and the least was in 1930–1931 with 14.2 inches (36.1 cm).

Compare that to Buffalo:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/climate/buf_snow00s.php

I'd say the Twin Cities gets quite a bit less, considering our highest snowfall all-time is lower than seven of the last nine years in Buffalo. ;)

I have to get a shot in when I can!

I love snow, so it's actually a positive for me. But, since most people don't, it annoys me how a city like Denver gets April/May and September/October storms on a regular basis and I never hear anything negative said about that. But, Buffalo is the big bad snow capital.

I love snow in Dec. thru Feb, but not before or after.

Exactly... Fez's theory holds water. BFLO is a tempered climate: not as cold (and VERY snowy: that can happen) in the winter and cool/mild in the summer. Unlike the midwest and upper midwest like MN... Which is brutally hot in the summer and brutally cold in the winter.

Snow doesn't equate to just cold. Snow can be very heavy in tempered climates... Which BFLO has being situated alee (protected: believe it or not... BFLO is protected by Lake Erie) of (by) the lake. It is not uncommon for temps to be in the 50's and 60's in BFLO in JANUARY. Yet, you can also expect that in August! :nana:

It always baffled me how Chicago is always super cold in the winter and then people are dying in heat waves in the summer.