Best Cities to Move to in America

ricojes

I can't believe so many of you are talking about the Weather as to why/why not to live in Buffalo.

The deal breaker is the Economy, and a bug chunk of that is Taxes! NY Property and Sales Taxes are beyond belief! Despite that NYS is still broke!

Sure many WNY houses seem "inexpensive," compared to many other places, but they more than make up for that with outrageous Property Taxes.

Nobody should be moving anywhere without a J-O-B! If you're a Doctor or Medical professional you can write your own ticket in the Healthcare "industry." The banks are hiring but how much do they pay?

Buffalo lost half its population, since 1950, due to loss of Manufacturing! Healthcare and Banks are no real economic substitute for that.

I love Buffalo! I was born, raised and educated in WNY. I graduated from College in 1969, went in the Military in 70. I've lived in Virginia, Illinois, Texas and Washington State. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but, anytime I had the opportunity to return I couldn't justify the differences in the coast of living between Buffalo and the other places that I ended up choosing.

To all the people who still live in WNY, I envy you, but just can't justify the expense! Considering the population loss, I'm not alone.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe so many of you are talking about the Weather as to why/why not to live in Buffalo.

The deal breaker is the Economy, and a bug chunk of that is Taxes! NY Property and Sales Taxes are beyond belief! Despite that NYS is still broke!

Sure many WNY houses seem "inexpensive," compared to many other places, but they more than make up for that with outrageous Property Taxes.

Nobody should be moving anywhere without a J-O-B! If you're a Doctor or Medical professional you can write your own ticket in the Healthcare "industry." The banks are hiring but how much do they pay?

Buffalo lost half its population, since 1950, due to loss of Manufacturing! Healthcare and Banks are no real economic substitute for that.

I love Buffalo! I was born, raised and educated in WNY. I graduated from College in 1969, went in the Military in 70. I've lived in Virginia, Illinois, Texas and Washington State. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but, anytime I had the opportunity to return I couldn't justify the differences in the coast of living between Buffalo and the other places that I ended up choosing.

To all the people who still live in WNY, I envy you, but just can't justify the expense! Considering the population loss, I'm not alone.

Do property taxes really make up that difference? I find that hard to believe. My friend in Atlanta is always bragging about how little his property taxes are. But, the house he has costs three times what it would here. I don't see how the taxes can possibly make up the difference.

I don't know as much about real estate as I should. So, am I wrong on this?

Give me the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains, no income tax, golf all year with skiing less than an hour drive away, Nascar racing up the road, the Vols and the Hokies to the north and south, great health care..good property values, economically sound...East freakin Tennessee!

But I still love Buffalo...always did and always will.

Minneapolis/St. Paul are ranked #8 -- and I'd say it's a much better place to live than Buffalo/Niagara Falls. (plus, our unemployment is "only" 7% :lol: ).

I can't figure out why they put Bloomington in there with the Twin cities. Because of the Mall of America? Umm, ok... :unsure:

Apparently they didn't make it up... Although I've never heard of it before:

http://www.ci.buffal...NYforReforestat

http://en.wikipedia...._New_York#Parks

http://www.synacor.com/pages/jobs/buffalo/about/

Oh it's quite true - Buffalo was, literally,one of the 'greenest' cities in the country, at least until the dreaded

Dutch Elm Disease

claimed over 95,000 mature trees from the 1950's to the mid-'70s.

I'm surprised more Buffalonians aren't aware of this - but then, I'm also surprised there are people in Erie County, NY who have never been to Buffalo.

Do property taxes really make up that difference? I find that hard to believe. My friend in Atlanta is always bragging about how little his property taxes are. But, the house he has costs three times what it would here. I don't see how the taxes can possibly make up the difference.

I don't know as much about real estate as I should. So, am I wrong on this?

I would say, take you friend's house in Atlanta, with the low taxes, and put it in one of the better Eastern Buffalo suburbs.

Without knowing the particulars, I would bet that his low taxes would increase 3-4 times per year for the same house in WNY. If he's paying $3,000/250 per month, and he went up to $12,000/$1000 per month that's significant. I think $12,000 per year is close to typical for a decent house in WNY.

My point is, NOBODY likes to pay Taxes. A certain amount can be rationalized till the day comes when the area you live is constantly broke and their solution is to keep asking for more. If you don't have a good job, or lost a good job, you can't keep up and start looking at other options. I believe that's what happened to Buffalo over the past 40-50 years.

All this and I didn't even mention Sales Tax, and Gasoline Tax. It's all a big part of your disposable income.

I would say, take you friend's house in Atlanta, with the low taxes, and put it in one of the better Eastern Buffalo suburbs.

Without knowing the particulars, I would bet that his low taxes would increase 3-4 times per year for the same house in WNY. If he's paying $3,000/250 per month, and he went up to $12,000/$1000 per month that's significant. I think $12,000 per year is close to typical for a decent house in WNY.

In order to pay $12,000 in taxes in Amherst, the house would be about $450,000. But it would be huge and very nice, probably 4000 sq ft, with top of the line everything. I am about half that, the Williamsville school district is a where a big chunk of my taxes go.

As for jobs, it's really starting to pick up in the Buffalo area. I am in the computer field and for the first time in a long time, there are options. I have a good job with a good company now, but always looking...

Marv's Neighbor quote:

In order to pay $12,000 in taxes in Amherst, the house would be about $450,000. But it would be huge and very nice, probably 4000 sq ft, with top of the line everything. I am about half that, the Williamsville school district is a where a big chunk of my taxes go.

As for jobs, it's really starting to pick up in the Buffalo area. I am in the computer field and for the first time in a long time, there are options. I have a good job with a good company now, but always looking...

Like I said, I honestly don't know that much about real estate (I inherited my house and never had a mortgage, etc.).......So, in M's N example - my friend would be paying a difference of $9K per year in property taxes. But, how much less would he be paying in mortgage payments for the same house in a nice Atlanta suburb vs. Amherst?

It always baffled me how Chicago is always super cold in the winter and then people are dying in heat waves in the summer.

Because of the shear volume of people in the area... There are almost 10 million in the Chicago: IL, IN, WI area.

Heat is more oppressive... YET, most people like heat more than cold. The state of tolerating cold is more aquired and liveable. It is easier to heat a building than it is to cool it... ALWAYS has and ALWAYS will be.

Oh it's quite true - Buffalo was, literally,one of the 'greenest' cities in the country, at least until the dreaded

Dutch Elm Disease

claimed over 95,000 mature trees from the 1950's to the mid-'70s.

I'm surprised more Buffalonians aren't aware of this - but then, I'm also surprised there are people in Erie County, NY who have never been to Buffalo.

People know about this... Yet, even if the trees didn't die off all at once, they would have eventually went one-by-one... Trees don't last forever. My question is, given the state of economy and how BFLO was made geographically irrelevant... Would they has systematically replaced the trees even for routine dieoff?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois