Aaron Maybin is playing out of position

Got_Wood

At his current size, I have no idea why the Bills coaches want him at Defensive End in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. He's getting man handled by offensive tackles out there. And we don't know how to play him in a true 3-4 anyway.

He is 6'4" and he most likely weighs about 235-240. That puts him in the same category (size wise) as Keith Bulluck, Derrick Johnson (Chiefs), Brian Urlacher, Karlos Dansby, etc. I'm not saying he can play like these guys, but we should at least put him in a position to succeed.

If we're going to play a "heavy" 4-3 defense, I would line it up like this:

Kelsay - Stroud/Johnson - Williams/Troup - Edwards/Moats

Poz - Davis - Maybin

It's worth looking at the defense like this. Ayodele and Torbor don't seem to show up on Sundays anyway. I think we end up being better against the run with this lineup in the game. And we can take a look at whether Maybin has the skills to play in the open field at linebacker. Because he appears to have the athleticism to play football, I just don't know if he has the intangibles.

Edited by Got_Wood

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're going to play a "heavy" 4-3 defense, I would line it up like this:

Kelsay - Stroud/Johnson - Williams/Troup - Edwards/Moats

Poz - Davis - Maybin

Isn't Arthur Moats a bit light at 250lbs for DE, even in a 4-3?

Isn't Arthur Moats a bit light at 250lbs for DE, even in a 4-3?

He seems to be a bit heavier, and I watched him carefully this week at DE. He has some pretty nice pass rushing moves. He's more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE, but we don't seem to want to play the 3-4. I wouldn't mind seeing him play OLB in the 4-3 either. Him and Maybin both seem like an upgrade over Torbor and Ayodele.

I have no idea if he could do it but I was thinking the same thing when I heard he was a healthy scratch. He is supposed to be quick but is this relative to a DL? Can he play in space and cover guys, who knows. We do know that he is having problems playing in tight and playing with leverage. I have commented on other threads that something is wrong because he can't make the active roster playing special teams so he just may not be a good football player.

Your idea is not that crazy as defensive players change positions all the time (including a few from your examples), only it usually when they first get in the league. I am pulling for him, he isn't lazy and he seems to have a good attitude plus I don't think I can stomach another bust.

He seems to be a bit heavier, and I watched him carefully this week at DE. He has some pretty nice pass rushing moves. He's more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE, but we don't seem to want to play the 3-4. I wouldn't mind seeing him play OLB in the 4-3 either. Him and Maybin both seem like an upgrade over Torbor and Ayodele.

Maybe, he does look like a stout dude. To be honest, the few times Moats was disrupting things in the backfield against Baltimore I didn't notice what front they were in (tiny blurry online stream, and all)---- was he lining up at DE?

Ever heard of "denial"?

Need to accept the fact that "Maybe" can't play on this level... unless it's at ball boy. He won't even be on an NFL roster after this season.

If Maybin had been a 4th or 5th round pick, he'd have been gone by now. The only reason the Bills are even holding on to him is because of their investment as the 11th pick.

If he were worth a flying crap at all, he'd have shown some "flashes" by now. And, I don't mean "flashing" by an OT 10 yards beyond the QB. There is just nothing there to indicate he can play... even on special teams.

Accept the fact that he does not want to play this game. He does not have the toughness nor interest.

When Maybin was inactive on Sunday, that wasn't a message. That was his ticket out of town being punched.

Maybin's in the exact position he should be playing, PE (Pine End). Weight is irrelevant for this position.

Hi there, fellows. Meet Ken and Aaron.

Ken, Aaron, l'd like you to meet...

Mohammet...

Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton, Erik Flowers, Corey Moore.

Grab a seat and make yourselves at home.

Don't be shy about helping yourselves

to punch and cookies.

Edited by Pete

Can someone please help me understand something. It's my understanding that Maybin is supposed to be playing OLB. Why then, every time I see him on the field is he down on all fours in a DE position?

It seems to me that if he has any chance to succeed it's going to be taking advantage of his speed in open spaces, not playing crab on the D line.

Unfortunately, I believe he found his position this past Sunday. That would be in the press box. The kid was a one year wonder at Penn State. From what I've seen, (and I'm no expert) he just doesn't get it. If he can't even use his speed and athleticism to contribute to special teams, he's gone.

hahaha, ohhh, another "Maybin should be playing X" thread. I wish the people who said his skills would "shine" when we went to a 3-4 would man up on the Maybin front. Again, no accountability on this board at all. He is a bust. Many of us knew it before he was drafted. The question is, how did the front office, people that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars, not know what we knew??

Why is all the talk about height and weight? Its not about that. Its about being good at football. Some people are, and some people aren’t. there are a lot of 6’4’’ 240lb athletes out there that aren’t in the NFL – and its because they aren’t good at football. Maybin falls into that category, he just isn’t good at football. No matter which position he plays. No matter how much he weighs. He just is not good at football. He never was, and he never will be.

This team has continued to confound me this millenium. Why the hell was Maybin selected. At the very least, the staff should of realized that Maybin was a project. What the hell is a perenial loser doing selecting a project with a #11 pick? That is Al Davis type lunacy IMO

Why is all the talk about height and weight? Its not about that. Its about being good at football. Some people are, and some people aren’t. there are a lot of 6’4’’ 240lb athletes out there that aren’t in the NFL – and its because they aren’t good at football. Maybin falls into that category, he just isn’t good at football. No matter which position he plays. No matter how much he weighs. He just is not good at football. He never was, and he never will be.

That may be the single smartest thing you've ever said here.

Pretty much. The guy had one trick in college: get up the field from a sprinter's stance quickly and disrupt the play. It worked against Coastal Carolina. Against USC, he looked like a boy playing against men. In the NFL, he looks like a toddler in diapers playing against gorillas.

There is a lot more to playing LB in the NFL than being 6'4" and 230#.

I know! Make him the QB. He was drafted high in the first round and has a good first step. :rolleyes: