Officals!!!

nmocdr

none of this was as bad as the blown call in the SteAlers-Dolphins game earlier. If you haven't seen it, Big Dumb Rapelisburger dives for the goal line. The defender hits his elbow causing a CLEAR fumble which goes into the endzone. The Dolphins are shown coming out of the mad scramble with the ball. The side judge cannot see the fumble and calls TD because he thinks he made it over the goal line and that the ground caused the fumble.

So on to the review. It was clearly a fumble. So the Dolphins get a touchback? No way. Since the refs were standing around, thumbs in asses, they apparently claim that they don't know who recovered the fumble. Even though there is actual film of the Dolphins coming out of the pile holding up the ball, which the official clearly sees, since he's looking right at him. NOPE. The ruling is: SteAlers ball on the two yard line.

That, my friends, is just plain negligence on the part of the officials. Incompetent boobs...

Review footage.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two feet = one elbow or knee.

Except you dont know if his elbow was in or not, you can only see the FRONT of his elbow, there is no back side shot to see if its on the line or not and it was right on the very edge of the endzone.

The issue is not whether or not the elbow was in, its was there indisputable evidence to over turn the ruling on the field of him being out of bounds. And under this rule, the refs made the right call. If they ruled an INT, then this would be a different discussion.

This is the point people are not taking into consideration when discussing this play. Think about it this way, if a WR comes down with a sideline catch, even if his toe is barely on the line, he is out of bounds. In this play, his elbow is so close to the line that its impossible to tell if he is all the way in or not, so the elbow is inconclusive, meaning it can not be used to overturn a call made on the field.

As much as I hated it, the refs made the correct decision not overturning the INT under the rules they are bound to. The forward progress play was a terrible miss call though and the one they should get the most heat for. I mean Nelson wasnt even standing on the ground anymore and was clearly had his forward progress stopped.

Except you dont know if his elbow was in or not, you can only see the FRONT of his elbow, there is no back side shot to see if its on the line or not and it was right on the very edge of the endzone.

The issue is not whether or not the elbow was in, its was there indisputable evidence to over turn the ruling on the field of him being out of bounds. And under this rule, the refs made the right call. If they ruled an INT, then this would be a different discussion.

This is the point people are not taking into consideration when discussing this play. Think about it this way, if a WR comes down with a sideline catch, even if his toe is barely on the line, he is out of bounds. In this play, his elbow is so close to the line that its impossible to tell if he is all the way in or not, so the elbow is inconclusive, meaning it can not be used to overturn a call made on the field.

As much as I hated it, the refs made the correct decision not overturning the INT under the rules they are bound to. The forward progress play was a terrible miss call though and the one they should get the most heat for. I mean Nelson wasnt even standing on the ground anymore and was clearly had his forward progress stopped.

I couldn't tell in that picture whether his elbow was in or not. I was only trying to clarify the rules on what part(s) of the body need(s) to be down in-bounds for a catch to be ruled complete. I believe that one hip and the head count as well.

I couldn't tell in that picture whether his elbow was in or not. I was only trying to clarify the rules on what part(s) of the body need(s) to be down in-bounds for a catch to be ruled complete. I believe that one hip and the head count as well.

Gotcha...wasnt just replying to you though, really that whole string of his elbow was in posts.

And yes you are correct...its pretty much any part of your body thats not your hands, wrist, ankle or feet. Anything else and you are down.

No feet down. No body down. A bizzarre technicality cost them the INT. I was imagining that if you caught the ball at the hash in the air, a strong LB could carry the WR out of bounds for an incomplete. Just a variation of the push-out rule. It was the right call...but strange.

Watch the replay and look at Corner's elbow: clearly down in the endzone. The refs muffed this game badly.

Watch the replay and look at Corner's elbow: clearly down in the endzone. The refs muffed this game badly.

Today's game is yet another example of the inadequacies of nfl reffing. Perhaps the NFL will one day cease to recruit its officiating staff from AARP meetings and will get qualtiy football people who actually understand the rules of the game and are physically and mentally capable with keeping up with the action. Today's Bill's game was an abomination. The league should be ashamed.

Was I the only one today that thought the Refs were from Baltimore? Every call went the Ravens way.

I don't know that every call went the Ravens way but there were two key calls (the Reggie Corner pick at the end of the first half, and Shawn Nelson's forward progress probably should have stopped the play before he fumbled). I will also say though that the Ravens could argue that, when we recovered the fumble on the kickoff return in the first quarter, Josh Wilson's arm was down at the time he got hit and therefore it maybe should have been considered down instead of a fumble.