With the first pick in the 2011 draft the Bills select....

DC Grid

Even Criqui and Buerlein were cracking on Locker's accuracy and the notion that he's even considered a top prospect. That's bad juju.

PTR

I'm glad some are starting to realize that Jake's not first-round material - all the #1-overall pick nonsense is vaguely reminiscent of last year's 'Clausen-hype'.

(OK, not 'vaguely' at all.)

I love Carimi but I dont seem his a #1 overall, or really even a LT. At LT he will leave you a bit disappointed. RT is his home in the NFL if you want PB caliber production.

I have heard the BC Tackles Coztansa is good, I havent caught a BC game this year though. I dont think there is a top flight LT in this draft, which really stinks for us, there seems to have been 3-4 each in the last 5 drafts.

Robert Quinn- DE- North Carolina

6-5 270lbs Junior

Stats:

2008- 35 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles

2009- 52 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, 6 forced fumbles

Pros:

Robert Quinn is expected to be the next great pass rusher out of North Carolina since Julius Peppers. Quinn is a super athletic defensive end that possesses all the physical skills to take over games in the NFL. Quinn has a rare initial burst off the line which allows him to get into the opponents backfield. Quinn’s quick burst and overall speed makes him a target for double teams. However, he has developed several pass rush moves that allow him to get around those double teams. His 6 forced fumbles last season only enhance his playmaking ability. Quinn makes his living in the offensive backfield.

Cons:

There is some concern that Quinn is undersized at 270lbs. However, he is just entering his Junior season and will have time to fill out weight wise. Along with a few extra pounds teams would like to see Quinn get stronger. He has the speed rush down pat but needs to develop a power rush move. He also could stand to be stronger and improve his run stopping ability. Some scouts also feel that Quinn could move to OLB in a 3-4 defensive scheme but he would need to improve his coverage skills to do so.

Thoughts:

As of now we have Robert Quinn ranked #7 on our 2011 NFL Big Board. Quinn’s athletic ability and size separates him from the rest of the defensive end class. He has been incredibly productive at UNC and with another good year he will likely bolt to the NFL.

Projected Round:

Depending on team needs you could see Quinn go as high as #1 or #2. He has so much potential that certain teams will not be able to pass on him. Mario Williams was the last DE to go #1 overall.

Bell has started either his 10th or 11th game yesterday. I am not speaking for everyone, but I have personally seen improvement with him. I think he is steadily getting better. I will say it again, with our #1, where ever it may land - 1, 2, 3 overall, The Bills should draft the very best D Line man available. With our 2nd round choice, barring any decision to stick with or not with Ryan Fitzpatrick, we then target a QB. However, Fitz hasn't been playing bad either. With a more respectable Defense, the Bills could / should / would be maybe 3 - 3 this year.

One thing to note with regards to yesterday's game vs Baltimore - going in to the season, the weakest point of Baltimore's D was going to be Pass Rush and Pass D. Not trying to take away any positive's from how the Bills performed. Attacking the weakness of the Ravens D is a tribute to Gailey realizing an opponents weakness and going after it.

I spend time over the summer with plenty of Ravens fans in Ocean City, MD. After the Bills, Ravens are my #2 team. Going in to the season, I personally had the Ravens and Jets targeted as the two Super AFC teams. Not anymore. Jets, Steelers, Titans, Patriots now are the AFC (and NFL) Super teams. Ravens have a lot of cleaning up to do based on their performance vs the Bills if they want to hang with the AFC top 4.

I love Carimi but I dont seem his a #1 overall, or really even a LT. At LT he will leave you a bit disappointed. RT is his home in the NFL if you want PB caliber production.

I have heard the BC Tackles Coztansa is good, I havent caught a BC game this year though. I dont think there is a top flight LT in this draft, which really stinks for us, there seems to have been 3-4 each in the last 5 drafts.

Well after the Bills' fantastic showing and near-win yesterday, I have my doubts that they'll have the #1 over-all pick anyway. (I guess it's always a good idea to remember that so much can change between now and April, both from the perspective of where the Bills will be in the draft-order, as well as which draft prospects are going to rise or fall in perceived value - and how far.)

Also, if you can coach a guy like Demetrius Bell - who never played organized football until his second year of college - into a Left Tackle, I think a guy like Carimi - a 5th year player and starting left tackle for four seasons at 'Offensive Line Factory' University - can be coached thru any perceived deficiencies.

Vis-a-vis Carimi, here's how McShay has the OTs ranked (FWIW)...

1. C Rodney Hudson, Florida State

2. OT Nate Solder, Colorado

3. OT Orlando Franklin, Miami

4. OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin

5. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College

link

And, according to Kiper (again FWIW), Carimi's stock is rising...

Getting the feel for how good an offensive tackle can be isn't an easy science. Just asking who got beat isn't enough. From how physical a guy is, to his footwork, to his arm length, to his ability to make adjustments -- the list can go on and on.

But competition is key. A pair of new tackles join the Board this week after showing up big in big games. Fans in Wisconsin have been commenting for months about the absence of Gabe Carimi on this list, and while I liked Carimi enough to consistently keep him among the Top 5 players at his position, I really wanted to see him put together a more consistent stretch, and do it against big-time competition. After another solid week in a huge win, he gets the nod this week.

link

Carimi's performance two Saturdays ago against Ohio State DE Cameron Hayward, whom some legitimately opine that the Bills should draft, certainly caused an 'uptick' in Carimi's stock...

Position: Left tackle

Breakdown: When asked about Wisconsin’s offensive line, the first thing Ferentz said was “they’re gigantic.” Indeed, the Badgers’ five starters weigh an average of more than 320 pounds.

The group is highlighted by left tackle Gabe Carimi, who manhandled All-Big Ten performer Cameron Heyward last week. The Ohio State defensive end never touched quarterback Scott Tolzien and only recorded one tackle for loss.

The opponent will get a little tougher this week, though. Iowa features one of the most dynamic defensive lines in the country, starting with Clayborn, who will line up against Carimi.

And Gabe's stock has to have gone up even further after back-to-back weeks going up against Heyward and Iowa's Adrian Clayborn...

An NFL-sized challenge for Hawkeyes’ Clayborn

Gabe Carimi vs Adrian Clayborn

Next week, it’s Purdue’s Ryan Kerrigan - those would be 3 of the top-ranked DEs Carimi faced, in 3 consecutive weeks. If he shines against Kerrigan, The Bills just might need to finish very high in the draft order to have a shot at Carimi.