No hope for Maybin

Name one Buffalo Bill drafted in the first round that showed so little in the first 2 years that eventually became a productive player worthy of a number 1 selection? Excluding a season long injury. Example: Willis McGahee

Some played okay but made slow progress. Maybin has shown absolutely nothing.

Keep in mind the guy has a huge contract as well. NO PROGRESS, BIG PAYCHECK= BYE BYE :flirt:

Edited by Another Point of View

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McGahee was never worth a #1 ever. Maybe before his injury, but not after. He has never broken into a starting role. But for the sake of your thread, I'll say Eric Moulds, but I don't remember where he was drafted(position, rd), in 1996 he couldn't catch a cold from Jim Kelly.

Moulds was drafted number 1 but he did show signs of progress and he was open after he beat the coverage.

Nice guess though!

Name one Buffalo Bill drafted in the first round that showed so little in the first 2 years that evetually became a productive player worthy of a number 1 selection? Excluding a season long injury. Example: Willis McGahee

Perry Tuttle. He's in the Winnepeg Blue Bomber Hall of Fame.

McGahee was never worth a #1 ever. Maybe before his injury, but not after. He has never broken into a starting role. But for the sake of your thread, I'll say Eric Moulds, but I don't remember where he was drafted(position, rd), in 1996 he couldn't catch a cold from Jim Kelly.

We drafted Moulds in the first round in the #24 slot. Receivers are known to take a year or two for the most part to develope. RB's and defensive players usually have greater success right out of the box. Maybin is such a bust, he will not be on the team next year.

Listen, every team no matter the sport misses on draft picks and free agent's all the time, the difference is the better teams are right more than they are wrong. That's not the case here, as soon as Polian left we have been drafting below 50% on hit's and below 50% on free agent's so we just aren't getting it done.

I watched AM many times in summer camp and was impressed with his jump and speed off the line. That quickly got tempered by how easily our bad tackles manhandled him. He's a speciman but just not a football player. He tries but I don't think he gets the game. All in all, this could rank as one of the worst of our #1 picks. I cringed when they made the pick when there was so much talent on the board to choose from. But we can't look back and I have no idea how long we give the guy a chance to improve.

I watched AM many times in summer camp and was impressed with his jump and speed off the line. That quickly got tempered by how easily our bad tackles manhandled him. He's a speciman but just not a football player. He tries but I don't think he gets the game. All in all, this could rank as one of the worst of our #1 picks. I cringed when they made the pick when there was so much talent on the board to choose from. But we can't look back and I have no idea how long we give the guy a chance to improve.

I think everyone on the board was looking for Orakpo. I still can not believe we passed.

On Maybin, sometimes you just have to let them go! The money is the biggest problem. If he was a 6th rounder the Bills could live with that.

Moulds was drafted number 1 but he did show signs of progress and he was open after he beat the coverage.

Nice guess though!

Not a guess. Successful example. Moulds' first three years he had 279, 294 and 1368 yards.

Daryl Lamonica is another.

Stepping outside the Bills, because there's no reason to restrict it to them, Kurt Warner didn't even make the NFL till he was 28. Lots of other examples out there.

We drafted Moulds in the first round in the #24 slot. Receivers are known to take a year or two for the most part to develope. RB's and defensive players usually have greater success right out of the box. Maybin is such a bust, he will not be on the team next year.

Listen, every team no matter the sport misses on draft picks and free agent's all the time, the difference is the better teams are right more than they are wrong. That's not the case here, as soon as Polian left we have been drafting below 50% on hit's and below 50% on free agent's so we just aren't getting it done.

You're casting way too wide a net there, with "defensive players" having success out of the box. That's not true. LBs tend to develop quickly. CBs and DLs slowly. Safeties somewhere in the middle.

Too early to tell with Maybin. I'd bet against him, but I sure wouldn't drop him.

Cameron Wake's another one, by the way, and he plays DE. Didn't even make a roster the first time around.

Not a guess. Successful example. Moulds' first three years he had 279, 294 and 1368 yards.

Daryl Lamonica is another.

Stepping outside the Bills, because there's no reason to restrict it to them, Kurt Warner didn't even make the NFL till he was 28. Lots of other examples out there.

Lamonica was drafted in the 24th round by Buffalo in 1963.... :nana:

Moulds is wrong, he dropped the ball but continued to improve....period

Lamonica was drafted in the 24th round by Buffalo in 1963.... :nana:

Moulds is wrong, he dropped the ball but continued to improve....period

Your view on Moulds is skewed by hindsight. If this board existed in 2007, Moulds would have been subject to the same treatment as Maybin.

Your view on Moulds is skewed by hindsight. If this board existed in 2007, Moulds would have been subject to the same treatment as Maybin.

I remember Moulds the same as you, the board would have been unhappy with the pick but there was progress. He beat coverage almost every game and he didn't drop every pass.

In his rookie year he had 20 receptions,279 yards receiving, a 14.0 average, 2 TD's. Not exactly worthless

With a player like Maybin, it's a gamble either way. If you cut him, another team with more talent around him might allow him to develop, or he might develop here. It's a lot to gamble when the FO drafted the guy so high. There was no question in my mind he was 3rd round worthy, but that's just my view.

I am not sure ANY other team had this guy pegged for the 1st round. All I remember when pick was made i thought maybe I somehow missed the first 2 rounds of the draft :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

The Bils got something outa the likes of Tuttle, Moulds, Patulski, Dokes, Gant, Williams the first couple of years... a couple TDs, kickoff returns, a few sacks, pancakes. Erik Flowers gave nothing, but he was like the 26th or 28th pick in the first round on a team that had two very established DEs (Hanson,Wiley), so they could afford to take a high risk, high reward gamble at that slot.

In Maybin's case, it's just a flat out stupid pick. No other draft pick, that I can remember, started in college for a scant 1 and 1/2 seasons and yet got selected as high as #11. He's a huge bust and a perfect example of the ineptitude at OBD. They got a roster spot open... presumably one that will be filled by Shawn Nelson. They should clear out another spot by outright releasing Maybin and bringing in a player that will at least give them something in return. Maybin will not develop... ever. If he was gonna, he'd have shown flashes by now. The only flashes I see of him are sandwich meat between the turf and an opponent.

You're casting way too wide a net there, with "defensive players" having success out of the box. That's not true. LBs tend to develop quickly. CBs and DLs slowly. Safeties somewhere in the middle.

Too early to tell with Maybin. I'd bet against him, but I sure wouldn't drop him.

Cameron Wake's another one, by the way, and he plays DE. Didn't even make a roster the first time around.

Agreed with your comments on the defensive players, certain postions do lend themselves to more instant impact. Maybin has not showed anything

though so it's very disappointing/disturbing. I am still sickened by passing over Haloti Ngata and taking Whitner.