2007 NFL Draft

lol...that is bad. Just 3 years ago! This draft set them back BIG TIME.

Very sad, indeed. The drafts from 3-4 years ago essentially DEFINE the team you are today. It takes about 3 years for a lot of draftees to become regular and solid contributors to their teams. Also, given that the average NFL career is 3.5 years, you could make the argument in ANY year that the drafts 3 and 4 years prior are what defines a team 3-4 years later. So, based on our 2007 draft, in addition to our relatively pathetic 2006 draft, it is easy to see why the team is winless 3-4 years later.

Rnd Name College Note

1 Marshawn Lynch California

2 Paul Posluszny Penn State

3 Trent Edwards Stanford

4 Dwayne Wright Fresno State

6 John Wendling Wyoming

7 Derek Schouman Boise State

7 C.J. Ah You Oklahoma

Nice Draft Marv, lots a keepers. I love Marv to death, but this just points to the fact that Ralph pinching pennies and medling continues to lead us down the path of the 1980's Bills.

Props to the OP for such an insightful post. (Depressing as hell, but still very insightful.) Good job! Not bad for a UDFA. :P

Very sad, indeed. The drafts from 3-4 years ago essentially DEFINE the team you are today. It takes about 3 years for a lot of draftees to become regular and solid contributors to their teams. Also, given that the average NFL career is 3.5 years, you could make the argument in ANY year that the drafts 3 and 4 years prior are what defines a team 3-4 years later. So, based on our 2007 draft, in addition to our relatively pathetic 2006 draft, it is easy to see why the team is winless 3-4 years later.

I need to revise my own post a bit. We do actually have 5 out of 9 players from the 2006 draft still on the roster, so it wasn't a horrid draft, but it also could have been better.

We still have Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Kyle Williams, and Keith Ellison on the squad from the 2006 draft. Brad Butler was also in that draft, but has retired, of course. Ko Simpson, Terrence Pennington, and Aaron Merz were also drafted in 2006. So, it wasn't quite as bad as 2007, but the top two picks that year were big-time REACHES and that's what hurts the team today from that draft.

The Bills have GOT to hit on their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. That is essential to building a winner.

Edited by ChasBB

Rnd Name College Note

1 Marshawn Lynch California

2 Paul Posluszny Penn State

3 Trent Edwards Stanford

4 Dwayne Wright Fresno State

6 John Wendling Wyoming

7 Derek Schouman Boise State

7 C.J. Ah You Oklahoma

Nice Draft Marv, lots a keepers. I love Marv to death, but this just points to the fact that Ralph pinching pennies and medling continues to lead us down the path of the 1980's Bills.

:worthy: Excellent observation

Marv Levy/Russ Brandon/Tom Modrak really set this franchise back in their two drafts! (And why is Modrak still here, by the way???) :censored::thumbdown:

There is a young man also drafted in 2007. He was drafted after Marv took Trent Edwards, and after Marv took Dwayne Wright. In fact, he was the 122nd player taken by Dallas in the '07 draft, an OL by the name of Doug Free. Today, I noticed he is listed first on the depth chart at LT of the Cowboys. Now I understand Alex Baron was signed to start ahead of him, and has since been benched. But my point is, the Cowboys drafted him late in the 4th round 3 years ago, and has now worked his way up to starting LT. He may not be the long term answer there for Dallas, but he's the '07 4th round pick of Dallas and he's made the team and remained on the team and is available to start in this pinch the Cowboys now find themselves in with Baron sucking so badly early in this year.

Compare that one fact, to the pathetic fact that Poz is the one and only player from the Bill's entire '07 draft still on the Bills' team. That's almost as bad as Mike Ditka trading his entire '99 draft to Washington for the rights to draft Ricky Williams :w00t: ....not that that trade did very much for the Redskins either. :doh:

:worthy: Excellent observation

Marv Levy/Russ Brandon/Tom Modrak really set this franchise back in their two drafts! (And why is Modrak still here, by the way???) :censored::thumbdown:

There is a young man also drafted in 2007. He was drafted after Marv took Trent Edwards, and after Marv took Dwayne Wright. In fact, he was the 122nd player taken by Dallas in the '07 draft, an OL by the name of Doug Free. Today, I noticed he is listed first on the depth chart at LT of the Cowboys. Now I understand Alex Baron was signed to start ahead of him, and has since been benched. But my point is, the Cowboys drafted him late in the 4th round 3 years ago, and has now worked his way up to starting LT. He may not be the long term answer there for Dallas, but he's the '07 4th round pick of Dallas and he's made the team and remained on the team and is available to start in this pinch the Cowboys now find themselves in with Baron sucking so badly early in this year.

Free is starting for Dallas because they need someone to start. The fact that Demetrius Bell is starting at LT for 2 years though he was drafted in the 7th round is a similar depth chart promotion of necessity rather than drafting genius. The Cowboys line is not very good, and it's arguable to what degree the Bills line is actually worse.

But I do get your point, however, when the Bills haven't been able to successfully hit on their 1st round picks the fact that they have also not hit on their 4th round picks is negligible.

Edited by Punch

Great points. :thumbsup:

Here's a question moving forward: what will the '10 draft - the first by the Nix/Modrak/Gailey era, define the horrible Buffalo Bills of this season, as? C.J. has the look of a super star in waiting, so barring serious injury, he should be a huge part of the 2013-2014 Buffalo Bills (or whatever name they may be playing under by then). But what can we expect from Troup, Carrington, Easley, Wang and Moats 3 - 4 years down the line?? None of them inspire much optimism for even being regular starters, much less Pro Bowlers or even good players, although we have no way of knowing this early on. I would get all of them on the field starting this week against the Jags as much as possible! (although Easley is on IR, too bad-he had a great chance of starting this season.)

And it looks like this year's draft is about the same .... besides Spiller, is anyone even contributing? On a bad team, draft picks should be able to contribute, not seeing it yet in this group.

I bet Spiller's contributions will not at all increase now that Lynch has been traded. I'm sure the move was not made with this in mind.