suggestions for one day in Buffalo?

Just Jack

Unlike Chef Jim, I do want advice. My parents will be stopping overnight in Buffalo on their way back from Cleveland. What places would you suggest for them to check out? This would be a mid-week, during the day, and they are in the mid 60's, so getting around is not as easy.

What are their interests? I'll assume they're ambulatory, but won't suggest anything like walking Forest Lawn of climbing to the top of City Hall.

If they are at all interested in architecture, Buffalo has a shocking 5 Frank Llyod Wright homes (the most outside of Chicago), as well as a FLW-designed mausoleum at Forest Lawn, and a FLW-boat house that houses the West Side rowing club. The jewel in the crown is -

Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin D. Martin House Complex (Jewitt Parkway near the Zoo)

The cool thing about the Darwin Martin tour is that you get a lot of Buffalo history - Darwin Martin was president of the Larkin Soap Company, one of the largest mail-order companies in the US in the early 20th century, and one of FLW's most loyal patrons. You learn all about John Larkin (the huge mansions on Lincoln Parkway between Forest Ave and the Delaware Park rose garden were all part of a complex know as 'Lark-Land'), and the young salesman, Darwin Martin, that rose thru the ranks. At Martin's request, Wright also designed the Larkin Building - a visionary corporate HQ office building that was demolished in 1950 to make room for a parking lot ('the mindless destruction of a masterpiece') - which will be discussed on the tour, as well as a summer 'cottage' - for Martin's wife Isabelle...

Graycliff

...on the Lake Erie shore in nearby Derby, NY (a gorgeous 30-40 minute drive along the lake from downtown, right down Route 5 and Old Lakeshore Road) - also well worth the trip.

Combine those two with the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site...

National Park Service - Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural (Delaware Avenue)

...where you're learn all about the Pan American Exhibition of 1901, the assassination of President William McKinley, and stand in the very study where Vice President Theodore Roosevelt took the oath of office. TR was one of one of only 5 presidents to be sworn-in somewhere other than Washington DC. (I often wonder how many people pass by The Wilcox Mansion on Delware Ave. every day, without knowing or giving a thought to the tragic and historic events that took place inside it and around it in early September of 1901.)

If they do the Wright thing (sorry, bad pun) and the TR site, they'll know more about the history of Buffalo than most folks who've lived here all their lives!

And - if they have time for one more and your dad likes old cars - most people don't know that, before Henry Ford pioneered mass production in Detroit, BuffTown was was of the centers of automobile production. The Thomas Motor Company (1900-1919) was the largest producer in the world of single-cylinder air-cooled engines and, in 1908, won the only 'round-the-world' automobile race ever held with their 'Thomas Flyer'...

1908 New York to Paris Race

Piece-Arrow was one the the finest hand-built automobiles in the world and had as their factory and headquarters, a humongous facility on Elmwood Ave. near Hertel (still standing). You can learn all about the history of automobile manufacturing in Buffalo (and see some beautiful collectors cars of many makes) at

The Buffalo Transportation/Pierce-Arrow Museum (Downtown - Michigan Ave. & Seneca St. - near the ballpark)

Don't know if that kind of stuff floats their boat of not - there's also a fair amount of Underground Railroad stuff here in WNY, as this was the last stop before crossing the river to Canada and freedom. But the Wright stuff (another bad pun, sorry) and the car stuff are both really cool.

Edited by The Senator

For elders... I would recommend a stroll through Delaware Park (not at night, please...)

A trip to Niagara Falls is a must

Have lunch at a local Teds or maybe even Duffs :)

Visit downtown and check out all the crazy art decor buildings

:thumbsup:

Sundowner

Do all New Yorkers (see how JJ's parents are from Central New York) possess the ability to cross the border with just their New York License? Or do they need a passport or special stamp of some sort?

Of course I am not trying to discourage the 'Downer thing! :devil::ph34r:

Anyway... The Sen touched on a bunch of things. What else is there really to do in BFLO except maybe the Erie Basin Marina, Bird Island Pier, and the Canal District/Serviceman's Park?

On the way from CLEV they will be basically bypassing the city anyway... Why not hit say East Aurora... There is the F-P ToyTown (Fisher-Price Museum) and then there is this little gem if they like history and say the Roycrofter (Arts and Crafts) movement:

Roycrofters

The Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum

Yes that "Hubbard." A Message to Garcia And yes, the same Hubbard family as in:

"The Roycroft Shops, run by Hubbard's son, Elbert Hubbard II, operated until 1938. The American science fiction writer and founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, was a nephew of Elbert by the adoption of his father into the Hubbard family."

Elbert Hubbard

EDIT: :oops: I just noticed that the toy museum is looking for a new home. I wonder what happened there with F-P???

Hey thanks for the mention in your thread. I hope I'm not too late with my suggestion but I don't really think it matters. What's there to suggest to the smartest people in the world. One day in Buffalo is the perfect amount of time to spend there so they probably don't need our advice. Actually it's probably 23 hours too long. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Do all New Yorkers (see how JJ's parents are from Central New York) possess the ability to cross the border with just their New York License? Or do they need a passport or special stamp of some sort?

passport, NEXUS card, or enhanced driver's license