Who else it at the point of anger

Thoner7

God I hate when people say "it's just a game". If it was just a game, guys wouldn't get to demand millions of dollars to play it. If it was just a game, I wouldn't have to pay $350 to watch a crappy internet feed of it.

If we are paying to be entertained and are not getting entertained, then we have a right to be angry. And I don't want to hear how I should just watch and enjoy the game of football, because that is not all we are being sold. They sell us "The hope of winning" every year, not just the game of football.

ROTFL!

Guys get to demand millions of dollars to play it BECAUSE it's a game, entertainment, and people are willing to pay to be entertained.

Would you pay $350 to watch a scientist at the bench working on a drug to treat cancer or MS?

Didn't think so....it ain't an activity that lends itself to good watching.

If you're paying and not being entertained, vote with your feet and find other sources of entertainment.

It is JUST A GAME

In the mid-'80s, after years of mediocrity, two back to back 2-14 seasons caused massive fan "voting" and attendance at home games plummetted

Anyone think it's an accident at that juncture the franchise shelled out the $$$ to produce a higher-quality, more entertaining team in the late '80s - mid '90s?

I don't.

Not entertained? Don't like the product?

Cancel your tickets (or don't buy), cancel your NFL Sunday Ticket, and send a letter to Ralph Wilson and the Bills home office explaining why.

Express your dismay that more wasn't done to upgrade the team this off-season.

Vote with your $$ and your feet and learn to love soccer, or UB football, or go for a walk or something.

It's the American way.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFL!

Guys get to demand millions of dollars to play it BECAUSE it's a game, entertainment, and people are willing to pay to be entertained.

Would you pay $350 to watch a scientist at the bench working on a drug to treat cancer or MS?

Didn't think so....it ain't an activity that lends itself to good watching.

If you're paying and not being entertained, vote with your feet and find other sources of entertainment.

It is JUST A GAME

In the mid-'80s, after years of mediocrity, two back to back 2-14 seasons caused massive fan "voting" and attendance at home games plummetted

Anyone think it's an accident at that juncture the franchise shelled out the $$$ to produce a higher-quality, more entertaining team in the late '80s - mid '90s?

I don't.

Not entertained? Don't like the product?

Cancel your tickets (or don't buy), cancel your NFL Sunday Ticket, and send a letter to Ralph Wilson and the Bills home office explaining why.

Express your dismay that more wasn't done to upgrade the team this off-season.

Vote with your $$ and your feet and learn to love soccer, or UB football, or go for a walk or something.

It's the American way.

Like I said, I already stopped paying. And I know it's a game, but don't tell me it doesn't mean anything.

Maybe I made myself more clear in this post over on SabreSpace. I wrote it after last year's season opener.

Get a grip. It's a game for Pete's sake. If it doesn't entertain you stop watching and do something productive with your life.

True, but it sounds like he's in the early stages of despair. He'll recover from it, but there is an emotional adjustment to be made.

To the OP, just ask yourself why you were really a fan. If it was because you love the game, then there are other teams out there. Take it as a positive thing that you're a free agent now. Like SDS wrote, you can take up a different hobby entirely. Life is short.

So fans continually rip on Ralph for being cheap. But, the first time a player like Kelsay is resigned; its these same fans that are complaining about how much money is being spent on players.

I get it, no one thinks Kelsay is any good. But, ya know... at least he plays. Half the other defenders it seems can't stay healthy from week to week. I guess it would be better to cut everyone that we think can't play. Then they can just field about 6 guys the rest of the season. That would be a good plan.

IT IS NOT JUST A GAME

I see this argument used here all the time - "Geez it's just a game, if it makes you angry don't watch it".

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Fans become emotionally invested in the teams they root for. That's why when something good happens, you scream and jump and high five and cheer and celebrate - because you are feeling very happy in that moment. You could just as easily say, "Why get so happy, it's just a game?". The fact is that sport evokes emotion, and a dramatic last second win or loss can take you to the height or the bottom of the emotional roller coaster. That is the whole reason people love sports.

It's a billion dollar industry. Grown men line up just for a chance to dedicate their entire life to the sport. People are routinely moved to tears over the outcome of this silly "game". It's a big !@#$ing deal.

Cancer Research?! Give me a break. Is it as important to the human race as cancer research? I suppose not, but the bottom line is people care WAY more about the latest football news than the latest medical research news, and people spend WAY more money being a fan than they do funding research. They spend more time talking about it at the water cooler. The list goes on. So yes, the reality is football is much more important to most people in their daily lives than "big picture" type of topics.

You can take a nihilist approach and try to say "Oh, it doesn't matter what happens." You could say that about anything, though. Religion - who cares? Why get mad? But that is a far far cry from real life.

Lastly, when a fan stops spending money and supporting his team because they are not doing well, he is characterized as a "fairweather" or "bandwagon" fan, and looked down upon. He is not a true supporter of the team, he was not their for the hard times, etc. If everyone spent their football dollars around here with their heads instead of their hearts, the team would have been gone a long time ago.

So, yes, get angry! Give a damn about something in this world, and don't just be a lifeless robot.

Edited by NaPolian8693

Who else here is so horribly fed up with how poorly this franchise is run, that they are actually starting to loathe them and enjoy their demise? I think I have actually gotten to that stage this week.

I think it really started-started during the 2006 off season. It all started when one of the worst players on the team(starters at least) - Chris Kelsy - was signed to a then enormous deal for any defensive end. This was dumbfounding to me, how could anyone actively want Kelsay on their team so much that they would horribly overpay for this man? But I got on, and looked to the draft. Our pick came and I was screaming for Ngata. Then, later in the draft, when I saw we traded up back into the first round I jumped off the couch screaming MANGOLD! Fast forward 4 years to this week and I have to relive that agony. As wee all know, this team resigned Chris Kelsay AGAIN! That has to be the lowest of all lows for me as a Bills fan. I watch this team piss away chances at winning that honestly, aren't even difficult. Like I dont blame the Bills for not drafting Clay Mathews - no one talked about him during the draft. But Maybin over Orakpo was the obvious choice - Thats why Orakpo was AT THE DRAFT, and Maybin was at home.

Ive gone on a tangent. I didn't want to start another "look what should have been" thread. I wanted to say that all week, with no conscious decision on my part, I just began to root against the Bills. I want them to lose, and lose bad. I cant explain it really, but ever since they resigned Kelsay, that normal un-dying desire to win has 180ed and now I hope they lose. I dont even care about the high draft pick (one I know hole-heartedly they will blow), I really think I just want the Bills to get what they have coming, get what they deserve. I just cant stand the thought of them winning when they make idiotic, truly unexplainable decisions with their roster.

Maybe its because I am a cold person, but the Bills deserve what they have coming, and I hope its as bad as it possibly can be. Has anyone else reached that point yet, or do I stand alone?

PS I know the above is no fault of the players themselves, but the ora of the team in its entity.

you stand alone - it's a game not life and death - not what's important in life - i kmow something about life and death - it's a game for entertainment purposes - put it in perspective.

and btw when the world was young as a little boy i was at the rockpile watching kemp throw to dubbie - i have been and always will be a hard-nosed bills fan (from the beginning of their existence) - i was born in buffalo and grew up on the west side and yes i cried when that lick went wide-right - i have been to over 35 countries and have worn my bills colors in every one of them - it hurts when they lose - but it's just a game - not like and death - not what's important in life.

IT IS NOT JUST A GAME

I see this argument used here all the time - "Geez it's just a game, if it makes you angry don't watch it".

Fans become emotionally invested in the teams they root for. That's why when something good happens, you scream and jump and high five and cheer and celebrate - because you are feeling very happy in that moment. You could just as easily say, "Why get so happy, it's just a game?". The fact is that sport evokes emotion, and a dramatic last second win or loss can take you to the height or the bottom of the emotional roller coaster. That is the whole reason people love sports.

It's a billion dollar industry. Grown men line up just for a chance to dedicate their entire life to the sport. People are routinely moved to tears over the outcome of this silly "game". It's a big !@#$ing deal.

Cancer Research?! Give me a break. Is it as important to the human race as cancer research? I suppose not, but the bottom line is people care WAY more about the latest football news than the latest medical research news, and people spend WAY more money being a fan than they do funding research. They spend more time talking about it at the water cooler. The list goes on. So yes, the reality is football is much more important to most people in their daily lives than "big picture" type of topics.

You can take a nihilist approach and try to say "Oh, it doesn't matter what happens." You could say that about anything, though. Religion - who cares? Why get mad? But that is a far far cry from real life.

Lastly, when a fan stops spending money and supporting his team because they are not doing well, he is characterized as a "fairweather" or "bandwagon" fan, and looked down upon. He is not a true supporter of the team, he was not their for the hard times, etc. If everyone spent their football dollars around here with their heads instead of their hearts, the team would have been gone a long time ago.

So, yes, get angry! Give a damn about something in this world, and don't just be a lifeless robot.

that is a pathetic reach of "getting angry and giving a damn about something in the world and if someone doesn't agree with you on that point then they are a lifeless robot" to realizing that it is just a game and not what is truly important in life. pathetic reach.

you can, and i do, get angry over many things associated with the bills (some posters included), i do give a damn about the bills (more than you could possibly ever guess) - but i also realize that it is only a game and not what is important in life - i am sorry for you because you cannot.

Guest dog14787

Get a grip. It's a game for Pete's sake. If it doesn't entertain you stop watching and do something productive with your life.

When TE was first cut and resigned in Jacksonville I actually found myself wishing Trent Edwards would come back into Buffalo and kick our ass.(I no longer feel that way)

Sure its a game, its a game that can flip someones world upside down, its a game some folks spend a lot of money to see live and deserve a better product. Its a game that can lift a whole region up like the New Orleans Saints and give them hope for a better tomorrow.

With all due respect SDS, football here in the United States is not just a game, its a way of life.

Edited by dog14787

When TE was first cut and resigned in Jacksonville I actually found myself wishing Trent Edwards would come back into Buffalo and kick our ass.(I no longer feel that way)

Sure its a game, its a game that can flip someones world upside down, its a game some folks spend a lot of money to see live and deserve a better product. Its a game that can lift a whole region up like the New Orleans Saints and give them hope for a better tomorrow.

With all due respect SDS football here in the United States is not just a game, its a way of life.

So, you'd rather see Trent succeed than the Bills? I know we all sometimes get behind a player and want to have our loyalty and prognostications about the guy proven right; but shouldn't your loyalty be to the Bills first and player second. I guess I just don't get it.

Guest dog14787

So, you'd rather see Trent succeed than the Bills? I know we all sometimes get behind a player and want to have our loyalty and prognostications about the guy proven right; but shouldn't your loyalty be to the Bills first and player second. I guess I just don't get it.

Yes, and I did eventually come to that conclusion. (love my team first and foremost)

Maybe not to the degree of Thoner, but I also understand why some folks could feel the same way. Shouldn't we have already hit rock bottom a long time ago...

Edited by dog14787

So wait, you do get very angry and you do care so very much - but then you say you don't care because it's only a game. You are contradicting yourself.

And turn your font size down for Christ's sake, it makes you come across as extremely pretentious.

i am sorry your understanding is so limited to "either or" - one can get angry AND one can care very much AND one can realize that it is only a game - all that is possible - not contratictive - in fact it is enlightingly congruent.

also i will state again, the font size is for me - i have a slight visual impairment - and it allows me to preview my post so i am sure of what is being typed in my post. - so no i will not turn down the font size and no i am not pretentious (neither minorly nor to the extreme).

One time I cheered so hard at a game that I lost my voice for a couple days. How foolish to get so worked up over a silly game. I mean, there are more important things in life!

your lack of depth of insight, coupled with your inability to grasp this simple concept is frightful. however i will try again, the two are not mutually exclusive. they are not "either or" scenarios.

IT IS NOT JUST A GAME

Thanks for this post, it really made me laugh out loud. Particularly the cancer research part. You "suppose not"? :lol:

Dude, at the end of the day it is only a game. Yes it is big business. Yes it involves obscene amounts of money. Yes people get (far too) invested emotionally. But a game it is, and always will be (unless it fully implodes and goes out of business).

Edited by CodeMonkey

uforesircher -

So you can read everyone else's posts just fine in normal sized font? :) How does that make any sense? You can just make everything bigger.

I'm sorry you have a visual impairment, but I would think you would want to be able to easily read all posts and all text on your computer, not just the things you write. You should google "increasing windows font size" or "windows visual impairment" to help you with your disability.

Edited by NaPolian8693

i am sorry your understanding is so limited to "either or" - one can get angry AND one can care very much AND one can realize that it is only a game - all that is possible - not contratictive - in fact it is enlightingly congruent.

also i will state again, the font size is for me - i have a slight visual impairment - and it allows me to preview my post so i am sure of what is being typed in my post. - so no i will not turn down the font size and no i am not pretentious (neither minorly nor to the extreme).

your lack of depth of insight, coupled with your inability to grasp this simple concept is frightful. however i will try again, the two are not mutually exclusive. they are not "either or" scenarios.

I completely disagree, and I bet every sports team owner and sports writer disagrees, no matter what they say. The opposite of cheering for my team is not cursing my team, it's apathy. No owner or writer wants that, because no-one is shelling out their money for that.