jacksonsville not sold on TE

Albany, I can't stand your hate for Brohm. Your whole premise of him sucking is he cleared waivers and went on a practice squad and no qb has ever made it back from there. or something like that cuz I really can't even read your hate posts through anymore. If its good for the team for him to become good, why not just have a little hope that it'll happen. After all you are a Bills fan, right? Isn't it in the best interest for the team if our qb is already on the roster? But you insist he sucks when you really don't have much evidence that this is so. An honest judgement CAN'T be made until we see him play in a good 3,4,5 live games. Until then, can't you just temper your hate for the rest of us? You state he sucks like it's fact and it is just being ignorant.

You've got my premise correct, but I don't hate Brohm. I don't like to hope for something that statistically, has a virtual zero percent chance of success. There's a big difference between being a fan & hoping for something that has a decent chance of working & living in a dream world. The fans who thought we were a playoff contender before the season started weren't better fans than those of us who saw the team for what it is.

I'd love to see Brohm start some games, light it up & become the QB some think he is. I'd also like to see the Bills 3-0 at this point & a 10 point favorite this weekend. I try to be optimistic, but sometimes reality can dim that optimism. From what I've seen of Brohm on the field, last season's dreadful game vs Atlanta & 3 preseason games, I just don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly start throwing TDs.

fixed.

Broken f'in record, dude. Read it all before, multiple times, and if that's your reasoning for saying Brohm sucks without ever seeing him as a legitimate starter in more than one NFL game, you're a moron.

Then every coach who ever cut a QB without seeing him as a legitimate starter is a moron. That makes 32 current NFL coaching morons.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jacksonville media...jacksonville fan...so what? The point is that Jacksonville is not universally in love the thought of TE as the savior. That being said I wish him the best.

Wow someone other than Bills fans thought Edwards stunk ?

But the line, the LINE, the LINE !

Aha...so now that he's gone we're going to the playoffs? :wallbash::wallbash:

From what I've seen of Brohm on the field, last season's dreadful game vs Atlanta & 3 preseason games, I just don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly start throwing TDs.

So what exactaly were you expecting of him?

It was his first ever start for a team he had been with for about 3 weeks, and a dysfunctional team at that.

I didn't think he did all that great either, stat wise. What I did see though was a guy who recognized the defense at the line, dropped back made quick decisive decisions and threw the ball. He didn't get it right alot in that game but what can you expect, he looked the part.

Again I don't know what you were expecting of him but it sounds like you are basing your decision on him not producing in that one game instead of looking at his ability and moxie.

Guest dog14787

The link is to a fan website, and the post was written by a Jaguars season-ticket holder.

I'm so happy to see you posting Lori, maybe things are looking up, at least here on TSW :thumbsup:

Note: On a Jags forum poll TE has 99 votes to Garrards 18 votes as the predicted starter for next season.

Edited by dog14787

Im pretty sure Jack Kemp cleared the San Diego waivers when we claimed him...that worked out pretty well.

You mean he didn't clear waivers (because the Bills claimed him), I think ... but yes, Kemp may well have saved the Bills franchise. Team was lousy and ticket sales weren't exactly brisk before he got here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Trial period, Dog. We'll see. Appreciate the kind words, though.

You mean he didn't clear waivers (because the Bills claimed him), I think ... but yes, Kemp may well have saved the Bills franchise. Team was lousy and ticket sales weren't exactly brisk before he got here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Trial period, Dog. We'll see. Appreciate the kind words, though.

If memory serves right, they got him for $100.

So what exactaly were you expecting of him?

It was his first ever start for a team he had been with for about 3 weeks, and a dysfunctional team at that.

I didn't think he did all that great either, stat wise. What I did see though was a guy who recognized the defense at the line, dropped back made quick decisive decisions and threw the ball. He didn't get it right alot in that game but what can you expect, he looked the part.

Again I don't know what you were expecting of him but it sounds like you are basing your decision on him not producing in that one game instead of looking at his ability and moxie.

Here's the full statement you quoted, bolding added: From what I've seen of Brohm on the field, last season's dreadful game vs Atlanta & 3 preseason games, I just don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly start throwing TDs.

I expect a guy to get be able to get a TD drive some time in his career. So far Brohm in 3 preseasons & a real game has none. I'm not a stat boy when it comes to QBs, but a guy has to do more than look the part, he has to produce TDs.

As far as the Atlanta game I expected 2 things-1)Generating more than 3 points. 2)Play well enough to peak Fewell's curiosity enough to start him again the following week. Instead, Fewell who was trying to win in hopes of keeping his job, ran right back to Fitzpatrick to start the Indy game rather than give Brohm another chance of showing something in an otherwise meaningless game. The fact that Fewell didn't think he was a viable option against Indy speaks volumes into what a guy who is actually in the NFL thought of his Atlanta performance.

Here's the full statement you quoted, bolding added: From what I've seen of Brohm on the field, last season's dreadful game vs Atlanta & 3 preseason games, I just don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly start throwing TDs.

I expect a guy to get be able to get a TD drive some time in his career. So far Brohm in 3 preseasons & a real game has none. I'm not a stat boy when it comes to QBs, but a guy has to do more than look the part, he has to produce TDs.

As far as the Atlanta game I expected 2 things-1)Generating more than 3 points. 2)Play well enough to peak Fewell's curiosity enough to start him again the following week. Instead, Fewell who was trying to win in hopes of keeping his job, ran right back to Fitzpatrick to start the Indy game rather than give Brohm another chance of showing something in an otherwise meaningless game. The fact that Fewell didn't think he was a viable option against Indy speaks volumes into what a guy who is actually in the NFL thought of his Atlanta performance.

Again, what did you expect he was there for 3 weeks prior to the Atl game.

He obviously didn't meet your lofty expectations of throwing for 250 yards and 3 TDs and the Bills putting up 30 pts, so therefor in your eyes he is no good.

He plays one real game, on a horrific team and you crucify him. WOW just WOW! Nothing like being as unrealistic as one could be.

Oh and in those preseason games when has he had the opportunity to play with the 1's.

This also proves you only look at stats, not the potential. Therefor you are a statboy.

Edited by FreakPop

fixed.

Broken f'in record, dude. Read it all before, multiple times, and if that's your reasoning for saying Brohm sucks without ever seeing him as a legitimate starter in more than one NFL game, you're a moron.

Is it really necessary to see a QB as a legitimate starter for a bunch of games before you can say he sucks? I mean plenty of QB's have never played as a legitimate starter for a bunch of games, just because they suck. I'm not saying he sucks, but there must be a reason he has gone this long without playing? If this guy was a NY Jet, I have a feeling he would be called a total bust by many here who now defend him.

Again, what did you expect he was there for 3 weeks prior to the Atl game.

He obviously didn't meet your lofty expectations of throwing for 250 yards and 3 TDs and the Bills putting up 30 pts, so therefor in your eyes he is no good.

He plays one real game, on a horrific team and you crucify him. WOW just WOW! Nothing like being as unrealistic as one could be.

Oh and in those preseason games when has he had the opportunity to play with the 1's.

This also proves you only look at stats, not the potential. Therefor you are a statboy.

Again, it wasn't just the Atlanta game. (Why do you think I bolded the entire part of the sentence?) I didn't see him do anything Trent Edwards didn't do this preseason. I did see Edwards do something Brohm didn't -produce TDs. It's time for Brohm to stop looking pretty to his fans & actually put some points,other than a FG here and a FG there, on the board-something in PRESEASON he has never done. I watched him play in 4 games, didn't even look at the stats & have not seen much out of the guy. If I'm wrong & he plays lights out I'll gladly admit the error of my ways. I doubt I'm wrong.

Brohm is similar to a former Bill, Gary Marangi. For years we'd hear the chant "put in Maragi" whenever Ferguson had a rough moment. Eventually they put Marangi in when Fergy got hurt and he was out of the league the next season. The guy who isn't playing always looks good when the starter isn't playing well, but most of the time the coach's decision on whom to play is proven correct. Brohm has had 3 coaches who didn't think he was good enough to start. Eventually Gailey will give him his shot at being the next Marangi because he will be out of options when we're something like 1-10 or 2-10.

I stand corrected.

Why do you hate him so much?

Last year who would have you preferred be our 3rd QB? Hamdan?

The People rooting for Brohm to start are just reacting to poor QB performances. If the #2 QB were John McGillacuty they would be rooting for McGillacuty to start. It has very little to do with Brohm.

I love that guy. :thumbsup:

Is it really necessary to see a QB as a legitimate starter for a bunch of games before you can say he sucks? I mean plenty of QB's have never played as a legitimate starter for a bunch of games, just because they suck. I'm not saying he sucks, but there must be a reason he has gone this long without playing? If this guy was a NY Jet, I have a feeling he would be called a total bust by many here who now defend him.

A 'bunch of games'? How 'bout just more than one? Yeah, there's a reason Brohm's gone this long without playing - his name is Aaron Rogers, who had been groomed to replace Brett Favre since the Packers drafted him in the first round with the 24th overall pick just 3 years before they drafted Brohm!

But hey - Kurt Warner must have sucked, because he was cut by the Packers. Steve Young must have really sucked, because look how many years he sat on the bench behind Joe Montana. And this Colt McCoy kid...well, he must really, really suck, even though he's never started a game, because he's 3rd on Cleveland's depth chart. :wallbash:

I ask you, of all the QBs out there in late 2009 - either veterans that were free agents looking for a team, or young ones on the practice squads of all the teams in the NFL - why do you suppose Buddy Nix went after Brian Brohm? :unsure:

A 'bunch of games'? How 'bout just more than one? Yeah, there's a reason Brohm's gone this long without playing - his name is Aaron Rogers, who had been groomed to replace Brett Favre since the Packers drafted him in the first round with the 24th overall pick just 3 years before they drafted Brohm!

But hey - Kurt Warner must have sucked, because he was cut by the Packers. Steve Young must have really sucked, because look how many years he sat on the bench behind Joe Montana. And this Colt McCoy kid...well, he must really, really suck, even though he's never started a game, because he's 3rd on Cleveland's depth chart. :wallbash:

I ask you, of all the QBs out there in late 2009 - either veterans that were free agents looking for a team, or young ones on the practice squads of all the teams in the NFL - why do you suppose Buddy Nix went after Brian Brohm? :unsure:

I'm not saying it's not possible for a player to slip through the cracks and make it later, but for every example you have given, there are hundreds who have never made it because they really do suck.

My guess is Nix went after him because of his college resume. So what?

If you're saying he hasn't played and there is no tape on him in game situations, then what has Buddy seen to make him want him so much?

Nix wasn't the GM when Brohm was signed, it was Brandon with Guy as the pro personnel man. So unless you have evidence that Nix was involved, since at the time he was scouting college guys, that's a conjecture on your part, not an actual statement of fact.

It could be as simple as Gibran Hamdan was a Jauron guy, Jauron got fired & whoever was in charge decided they would rather take a flyer on bringing in Brohm than wasting any more time with Gibran Hamdan. Since Hamdan couldn't even make it in the CFL this year, they weren't exactly saying a lot by getting rid of Hamdan.

Why would a team out of contention ever bring in a veteran in November unless everyone else was hurt? It would have made no sense to have someone like Garcia ride the bench the last month & a half. If you're going to bring in a guy off a practice squad at that point in the season, why not go after the guy picked the highest in the draft? Can't make things any worse having that guy as 3rd stringer over Hamdan.

It really didn't say anything except they thought Hamdan was a total waste of time & they decided to bring in a guy who might end up better than Hamdan.

I'm not saying it's not possible for a player to slip through the cracks and make it later, but for every example you have given, there are hundreds who have never made it because they really do suck.

My guess is Nix went after him because of his college resume. So what?

If you're saying he hasn't played and there is no tape on him in game situations, then what has Buddy seen to make him want him so much?

Hundreds? Try thousands!

But a guy that was a Heisman candidate and at one point a projected #1 overall pick by at least one scouting combine? If he sucks so bad, why did Green Bay re-sign him to their practice squad after he cleared waivers? (They likely would have kept him on the active roster, but opted to keep 6 RBs for some odd reason) Why did they try to keep him by matching the Bills offer?

What has Buddy seen? I don't know - I don't have 1/1 millionth the football knowledge that Nix has. Nix was the Bills National Scout in 2009 - I wasn't - so you'll have to ask Buddy why, of all the QBs he could have gone after, he chose Brohm.

While your at it, ask him why Brohm's still here - now at #2 on the depth chart and moving up - and Trent Edwards is gone.

Edited by The Senator

Hundreds? Try thousands!

But a guy that was a Heisman candidate and at one point a projected #1 overall pick by at least one scouting combine? If he sucks so bad, why did Green Bay re-sign him to their practice squad after he cleared waivers? (They likely would have kept him on the active roster, but opted to keep 6 RBs for some odd reason) Why did they try to keep him by matching the Bills offer?

What has Buddy seen? I don't know - I don't have 1/1 millionth the football knowledge that Nix has. Nix was the Bills National Scout in 2009 - I wasn't - so you'll have to ask Buddy why, of all the QBs he could have gone after, he chose Brohm.

While your at it, ask him why Brohm's still here and Trent Edwards is gone.

Sure, then I will ask him how come he hasn't picked up Harrell.

Sure, then I will ask him how come he hasn't picked up Harrell.

Please do - if I ever have the chance to exchange a few words with Buddy, I certainly would.

But I can see that all you're doing now is throwing out red herrings, and apparently have no legitimate response to my previous post.

Don't forget the "Brohm hasn't thrown a TD in preseason" argument.

There's also the, "Why would anyone in Buffalo want to go through yet another experiment at Quarterback that's likelihood of failure is far greater than its likelihood of success." argument. Which is a fairly pragmatic one.

Please do - if I ever have the chance to exchange a few words with Buddy, I certainly would.

But I can see that all you're doing now is throwing out red herrings, and apparently have no legitimate response to my previous post.

They resign a quarterback to the practice squad because he is expendable, but servicable, having practiced in their system and studied the playbook. In the event of an emergency, he could have been signed to the team and already known the playbook. If he was a valuable commodity, or even a reasonable project, he would have been on the active roster running the scout team.

Whenever this notion in Billsland came about that being on a practice squad suddenly gives a player some sort of tremendous potential is nonsense.. Brohm was the 46th best player (at best) in a league that keeps 45.

Edited by wardigital

OK 1)How come they re-signed him after he cleared waivers? I would respond with; Why did they cut him in the first place if he was so good?

2)Why did they match Buffalo? I would respond with; If they wanted him so bad, they could have had him on the 53 man roster and not have had to worry about it.

Just because both GB and Buffalo wanted him doesn't mean anything. Does it mean anything that 30 teams didn't?