2011 draft - hypothetical

cmjoyce113

I am going to put what I think may happen and I would like to see what people have to say. Let's notmturn this into draft a rb, another cb, or something dumb about how the bills suck, nix sucks, Ralph is dumb.... I don't care about any of that.

So let's say the bills pick third behind Arizona and Cleveland which is completely possible. Sub whatever teams you would like but they both need a qb so I will use them.

Let's say mallet and luck get taken (if luck even come out) locker doesn't grade out as first round talent. Where do we go? To memthe line didn't seem like the worst in the league yesterday. I think bell is decent and green needs to be replaced. Do we use our first pick on a right tackle? Do we reach for a qb because the top 2 are gone? I think we go line backer for someone that will create hell for opponents.

What does everyone else think draft wise? Also where do we go for qb if this happens next year?

I am going to put what I think may happen and I would like to see what people have to say. Let's notmturn this into draft a rb, another cb, or something dumb about how the bills suck, nix sucks, Ralph is dumb.... I don't care about any of that.

So let's say the bills pick third behind Arizona and Cleveland which is completely possible. Sub whatever teams you would like but they both need a qb so I will use them.

Let's say mallet and luck get taken (if luck even come out) locker doesn't grade out as first round talent. Where do we go? To memthe line didn't seem like the worst in the league yesterday. I think bell is decent and green needs to be replaced. Do we use our first pick on a right tackle? Do we reach for a qb because the top 2 are gone? I think we go line backer for someone that will create hell for opponents.

What does everyone else think draft wise? Also where do we go for qb if this happens next year?

Here's a new list of QB's from Rick McGlothlin at DraftTek, updated today:

(Stat sequence left to right: attempts/completions-percentage, TD's-INT's, Total yards)

-- Top Ten --

New #1 - Consider: Brandon Weeden, Sr., 6-4, 224, Oklahoma St. 74/101-73.3%, 11-2, 975

Am I the only one to even consider this young man as a top pro prospect? He's 26 years old, former MLB pitcher (minor leagues) and has decided to return to college. He just so happens to be a pretty solid quarterback. Maybe the scouts/draft experts haven't realized who he is or know that he really isn't an exceptional prospect. However, when considering maturity, talent-level and leadership, you'd think he'd be in the discussion.

Christian Ponder, Sr., 6-3, 227, FSU 61/100-61%,7-3, 672

Ryan Mallett, Jr., 6-5, 238, Arkansas 95/138-68.8%, 10-5, 1,438

Nick Foles, Jr. 6-5, 245, Arizona102/137-74.5%, 6-4, 1,089

Jake Locker, Sr., 6-3, 230,Washington 46/90-51.1%, 6-2, 626

Greg McElroy, 6-3,225, Sr., Alabama 61/86-70.9%, 7-3, 899

Kevin Riley, Sr.,6-2, 223, Cal 52/81-64.2%, 8-3, 732

Colin Kaepernick, Sr., 6-6, 220, Nevada 73/106-68.9%, 6-1, 924

Ricky Stanzi, Sr.,6-4, 230, Iowa 66/99-66.7%, 9-1, 999

Blaine Gabbert, Jr., 6-5, 240 Missouri 101/151-68.2%, 5-3, 1,039

I like Foles, and my positional needs for the Bills has them still picking QB in RD#1, LT in RD#2.

I'd be happy to change this, but I'd like to see how the draft plays out on our October mock first.

I really do think this is th best QB class since Marino-Kelly-etc. Astro

Edited by Astrobot

Do you look at a guy like Robert Quinn, and hope he can play OLB? Or do you try and trade down and get a guy like Carini or Von Miller in the upper middle part of the draft?

Gabe Carimi will be our pick if we don't take a QB. He is top 10 right now. He is noted for run blocking, gets to the 2nd level like Wood has been doing, and is a Wisconsin lineman, and few of them have been busts. A nice safe pick. That said, I am liking what I'm seeing from Bell, and we could conceivably wait for RD#2 for the lineman (Wisniewski, Pouncey, Solder).

DraftTek's Consensus mock http://www.drafttek.com/round12011.asp has us taking Carimi first, then taking Pat Devlin from Delaware in RD#2, which is a reach when Wisniewski and TE's Kyle Rudolph and Westlye Saunders are there. Gailey's comments about the Pats' two TE's makes me think we're in line for two, too.

Gabe Carimi will be our pick if we don't take a QB. He is top 10 right now. He is noted for run blocking, gets to the 2nd level like Wood has been doing, and is a Wisconsin lineman, and few of them have been busts. A nice safe pick. That said, I am liking what I'm seeing from Bell, and we could conceivably wait for RD#2 for the lineman (Wisniewski, Pouncey, Solder).

DraftTek's Consensus mock http://www.drafttek.com/round12011.asp has us taking Carimi first, then taking Pat Devlin from Delaware in RD#2, which is a reach when Wisniewski and TE's Kyle Rudolph and Westlye Saunders are there. Gailey's comments about the Pats' two TE's makes me think we're in line for two, too.

This is really sad. You guys are talking draft picks even earlier than last year. When the planets line up and lightning strikes and the ball bounces our way and we steal a game, the kool aid drinkers will announce that the team is improving and the future is bright. After the following game, when they go down in flames again, is the time to start talking about next year's draft.

This is really sad. You guys are talking draft picks even earlier than last year. When the planets line up and lightning strikes and the ball bounces our way and we steal a game, the kool aid drinkers will announce that the team is improving and the future is bright. After the following game, when they go down in flames again, is the time to start talking about next year's draft.

I cheer for the Bills to win all the time, it's just that I like talking draft all year long as well. And since we're likely to have a very high draft pick, this year your going to see a ton of draft talk.

If there isn't a QB that we want in rd 1, I think you have to get the best pass rusher available. I am starting to think Bell could be a better than average LT and then you take a top RT in the 2nd. Go after Vick or Kolb and see where it goes. All that said, if Luck or Mallett or if someone else emerges, then you gotta grab him.

Best available player with a tie going to LT

If Luck and Mallet are both gone you got to think a blue chip LT. Which I'm assuming there is a tacke that is worthy of the a top 3 pick in 2011.

You can move Bell to RT. With wood and Levitre you now can't cry about O-line anymore. Sign a vet and draft the best available player in the second with a tie going to QB.

Best available player, leaning towards a lineman on either side of the ball.

We really don't need a DL. I really don't understand those who keep complaining that our front 3 aren't getting enough pass-rush. It's a 3-4 now people - it's not their job to rush the passer - we need better OLB's.

Our current starters have been very sound, and we have a 2nd (Troup) and a 3rd (Carrington) round rookie backing them up. Why the heck would we draft another before those two have had a chance to develop?

If a very promising QB is there, you take him, but with the depth at the position and not a clear sure thing, I'd lean towards waiting for the 2nd and taking the best QB then.

A stud OLB is the most pressing need after QB.

If Luck and Mallet are both gone you got to think a blue chip LT. Which I'm assuming there is a tacke that is worthy of the a top 3 pick in 2011.

You can move Bell to RT. With wood and Levitre you now can't cry about O-line anymore. Sign a vet and draft the best available player in the second with a tie going to QB.

I think (hope) by the end of the season we may be OK with Bell at OLT. Then we get an ORT later or as a better FA than Green.

That is why I wouldn't care if we go 0-16 this year. I will be pissed if we miss out on another franchise QB by winning 2-3 games.

We really don't need a DL. I really don't understand those who keep complaining that our front 3 aren't getting enough pass-rush. It's a 3-4 now people - it's not their job to rush the passer - we need better OLB's.

I'd guess most Bills fans are thinking about Bruce Smith when they feel the DE should be pressuring the QB, which as you point out, is not the norm in a 3-4 D. Bruce was almost supernaturally gifted at getting to the QB off of a 3 man line, and whenever I point this out to football fans here in Virginia that are not as familiar with the style of defense the Bills played during that era they are always absolutely blown away by the sack numbers.

For Bruce to accomplish what he did in a 3-4 while constantly drawing double teams and successfully beating them... just unbelievable, really.

Even if a light goes on in Aaron Maybin's head and he suddenly figures out how to use his quickness and speed we still need a pass rushing OLB to take advantage of the strengths on this D, namely the secondary and the line.

Edited by Punch