With the Jackson to Minnesota deal dead

JM57

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't baseball or even the NHL. Teams that are struggling in the NFL don't start trading their best players to contenders for future prospects and draft choices. Whether it would be good or bad to do this, it is not how the NFL works.

As a general observation there are more trade possibilities thrown out onto this board in a week than actually happen in a year for the whole NFL. In fact many teams in the NFL don't do a single trade in any given year (not counting moving up or down on draft day).

So forget about trades.

This isn't baseball or even the NHL. Teams that are struggling in the NFL don't start trading their best players to contenders for future prospects and draft choices. Whether it would be good or bad to do this, it is not how the NFL works.

As a general observation there are more trade possibilities thrown out onto this board in a week than actually happen in a year for the whole NFL. In fact many teams in the NFL don't do a single trade in any given year (not counting moving up or down on draft day).

So forget about trades.

I hear what you are saying saying about the illiquidity of the NFL trade market but they do happen. The last precedent involving a good WR ( in my shaky memory ) was the Dallas trade for Williams. If that was the sort of compensation coming back to the Bills would anyone not take it.

The Lions traded their receiver Roy Williams for the Cowboys' 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks. The Lions also threw in their own 7th round pick in the big trade.

Once again, it's supply and demand folks. Minnesota has a big need at WR. Evans is a borderline #1 WR, especially on a team with a good QB. There aren't guys like Evans available on the market. Therefore the demand for Evans goes UP. Regardless of the inferiority complex most Bills fans have, our players have value. We should get a 1st rounder for Evans, or at the least a 2nd AND 3rd or 4th. Remember guys, James Hardy and Malcolm Kelly were 2nd rounders. Is that the risk you want to take in giving up Evans? I think not. You either get quality players in return, or you get high draft picks for proven players in this league. And that is a fact.

No one is going to give up a first rounder for Evans. Currently "on the market" is Jackson---a much better WR than Evans.

Your other point I don't understand--you would take a 2nd and 3rd for Evans, yet you mention how crappy the 2nd round WRs have been.

And high draft picks just haven't helped this team much---no more than they have Detroit. It's meaningless to say "we need more high picks to keep rebuilding the team" if it is repeated every year.

Once again, it's supply and demand folks. Minnesota has a big need at WR. Evans is a borderline #1 WR, especially on a team with a good QB. There aren't guys like Evans available on the market. Therefore the demand for Evans goes UP. Regardless of the inferiority complex most Bills fans have, our players have value. We should get a 1st rounder for Evans, or at the least a 2nd AND 3rd or 4th. Remember guys, James Hardy and Malcolm Kelly were 2nd rounders. Is that the risk you want to take in giving up Evans? I think not. You either get quality players in return, or you get high draft picks for proven players in this league. And that is a fact.

Evans is certainly a #1 WR and if he went to Minnesota you would see that.

Trading him would be a bad deal for us, we would have to use a #1 or 32 to replace him. We already have a huge list if needs.

Evans is one of the few good players on the team. Don't trade good players for draft choices.

No one is going to give up a first rounder for Evans. Currently "on the market" is Jackson---a much better WR than Evans.

Your other point I don't understand--you would take a 2nd and 3rd for Evans, yet you mention how crappy the 2nd round WRs have been.

And high draft picks just haven't helped this team much---no more than they have Detroit. It's meaningless to say "we need more high picks to keep rebuilding the team" if it is repeated every year.

Evans is a team first guy who doesn't hold out. Jackson is. Evans has a clean record. Jackson has had several off the field issues. Evans also produces with crappy QB's, and I can only imagine what he would do with a good quarterback throwing to him every week. Yes, he should be worth a 1st, or two later picks.

What don't you understand about the second part? A 2nd and a 3rd is better than just a second. Wrap that around your head for a minute.

Evans is a team first guy who doesn't hold out. Jackson is. Evans has a clean record. Jackson has had several off the field issues. Evans also produces with crappy QB's, and I can only imagine what he would do with a good quarterback throwing to him every week. Yes, he should be worth a 1st, or two later picks.

What don't you understand about the second part? A 2nd and a 3rd is better than just a second. Wrap that around your head for a minute.

Contenders have shwon that they aren't worried about troubled pasts. Marshall, another young WR who is better than Evans, only was worth a 2nd.

No team will ever offer a 1st for Evans.

So you would replace Evans with a 2nd or 3rd pick WR?

they wouldnt do more than a 3rd for Jackson, they sure as hell wont do better for Evans.

Evan though I have sokme doubts about Evans as the complete package, he sure as heck is worth more than a 3rd ... many 3rds aren't even in the league after a few years

The Vikings offered a lot more than a 3rd for Vincent Jackson. They offered a 2nd and a conditional pick this morning. They were shot down. Shortly before the 4pm deadline they made a last ditch effort to acquire him. It obviously must have been an even better offer. AJ Smith again turned them down. He was demanding a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

Vincent Jackson would've been an 11 game rental. The Vikings were willing to give up a 2nd and more picks for an 11 game rental that is one strike away from another suspension. Favre doesn't look like he'll last past this season. The Vikings are all in for this year. Lee Evans is under contract for two more years. I think they'd give more than a 3rd for Evans. That said, the Bills don't seem like they have any inclination to move their players.

Edited by earthtobrint

The Vikings offered a lot more than a 3rd for Vincent Jackson. They offered a 2nd and a conditional pick this morning. They were shot down. Shortly before the 4pm deadline they made a last ditch effort to acquire him. It obviously must have been an even better offer. AJ Smith again turned them down. He was demanding a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

Vincent Jackson would've been an 11 game rental. The Vikings were willing to give up a 2nd and more picks for an 11 game rental that is one strike away from another suspension. Lee Evans is under contract for two more years. I think they'd give more than a 3rd for Evans. That said, the Bills don't seem like they have any inclination to move their players.

It's my understanding they offered a 3rd, and the 2nd was conditional on Jackson being signed to a long term deal in Minnesota. Given Jackson's history, I think the 2nd was highly discounted and viewed it mostly as a 3rd. Could be wrong

Contenders have shwon that they aren't worried about troubled pasts. Marshall, another young WR who is better than Evans, only was worth a 2nd.

No team will ever offer a 1st for Evans.

So you would replace Evans with a 2nd or 3rd pick WR?

First of all, Marshall was worth TWO 2nd round picks, not one. Second, I would replace Evans for a 2nd round offensive tackle for sure.

It's my understanding they offered a 3rd, and the 2nd was conditional on Jackson being signed to a long term deal in Minnesota. Given Jackson's history, I think the 2nd was highly discounted and viewed it mostly as a 3rd. Could be wrong

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

I suppose we'll never know for sure, though.

I know we are just spitballing here and having some fun but.....Harvin is complaining of migraines again. At least that is what I heard on NFL radio on sirius on the ride home from work. Not sure how bad but that would put even more heat on the Vickings. If there was ever a team that has a short superbowl window it is them. Not to mention the owner is trying to rangle a new stadium out of the state. A playoff run for them is imperative.

PS- I am not entirely sure it is a good idea, I guess it all depends on what the Bills get back. It is likely that we will be drafting a rookie Qb next year thus prolonging Evans lack of production.

Edited by agardin

First of all, Marshall was worth TWO 2nd round picks, not one. Second, I would replace Evans for a 2nd round offensive tackle for sure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

I suppose we'll never know for sure, though.

Interesting the article said SD received several offers. I wonder who the other teams were?

I know we are just spitballing here and having some fun but.....Harvin is complaining of migraines again. At least that is what I heard on NFL radio on sirius on the ride home from work. Not sure how bad but that would put even more heat on the Vickings. If there was ever a team that has a short superbowl window it is them. Not to mention the owner is trying to rangle a new stadium out of the state. A playoff run for them is imperative.

PS- I am not entirely sure it is a good idea, I guess it all depends on what the Bills get back. It is likely that we will be drafting a rookie Qb next year thus prolonging Evans lack of production.

Link for the migraines

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/2010/9/22/1704557/percy-harvins-migraines-are-back

Interesting the article said SD received several offers. I wonder who the other teams were?

Other teams kicked the tires but were sent running by AJ's demand. Reportedly, the Rams were involved. It was mostly just the Vikings that wanted to get the deal done.

Edited by earthtobrint

I understand that Lee is pretty much a waste on this roster, but a 3rd round pick is not proper compensation. Its damn hard to fill the hole we create with a 3rd rounder.

Barring a trade or unlikely cut of a top QB, we are going to be drafting one. It is hard to develop a new QB if he has no valid options to throw to.

I understand that Lee is pretty much a waste on this roster, but a 3rd round pick is not proper compensation. Its damn hard to fill the hole we create with a 3rd rounder.

Barring a trade or unlikely cut of a top QB, we are going to be drafting one. It is hard to develop a new QB if he has no valid options to throw to.

Problem being that by the time we FILL said holes, Lee will most definitely be on the downside of his career, and we'll still have to draft a WR to fill that hole, along with the hole we already have at #2 WR.

maybe we should be starting your avatar, he had a heck of an arm, maybe he got that time machine working