Why is Fitzpatrick doomed to fail?

Try no offensive line. :rolleyes:

That is certainly true. Fitz will QB until the Bye week and then Brohm will take over. They might win 2 games with Brohm. They will control the ball longer and the games will be more interesting. Fitz is a backup and he will always be a backup I really don't get it at all. I do sense the non football people at work here trying to get a win before they play in Toronto again.

1. He couldn't even beat out Trent Edwards.

I hate this argument. Kurt Warner couldn't beat out Trent Green, who didn't look like anything special during his early Rams tenure. Fred Jackson couldn't beat out Anthony freaking Thomas.

Coaches' stubbornness to admit they're wrong or preference for "their guys" goes a long way in this league, and it has held back some good players from contributing even earlier in their careers.

I hate this argument. Kurt Warner couldn't beat out Trent Green, who didn't look like anything special during his early Rams tenure. Fred Jackson couldn't beat out Anthony freaking Thomas.

Coaches' stubbornness to admit they're wrong or preference for "their guys" goes a long way in this league, and it has held back some good players from contributing even earlier in their careers.

Well said. And while I think Edwards deserved to start out of camp, Fitz did have a 110 QB rating in preseason.

Fitz plays an ugly style of football. He probably looks terrible in practice. But as limited as he may be, the guy is a gamer and lays it all on the line. After defining Edwards and seeing he quit on that last 4th down, Fitz will be a refreshing change.

+1

I find it frustrating, as well. For years, I was complaining about how Jabari Greer--who played lights out every preseason--never got a chance since we was an UDA, not a 1st round pick. When the Bills were basically forced to give him playing time, he became a star.

We've had a lot of guys come through this organization that just sat on the bench, even though they were better than the starters-- several of whom now are playing for other, better teams.

OK, he needs to work on that.

Some people claim one can't teach accuracy, a QB either has it or he doesn't

I'm not saying that's my POV -- most things one does improve with practice, why shouldn't accuracy?

Maybe what they're really meaning is, by the time a guy gets to the pro's, if he can't get the football to go where he aims it's too late?

On the other hand, maybe Hahvahd doesn't have the same caliber of QB coach found at football powerhouse programs so maybe there's hope

Hahvahd Guy's "got Game" and I wish him well

And ACCURACY is the NUMBER ONE qualifier for an NFL QB.

I have to disagree with this. Leadership and good decision making are more important. Granted you can't have horrible accuracy and I don't think Fitz does. He's not the best at it, but I agree with the other poster that he can work on it. He had a 65% completion percentage in pre season. If ACCURACY was so important, how come Trent didn't succeed? No leadership and poor decision making.

He may do well if he's better at audibling out of bad plays - something it seemed (though hard to tell from our position as fans) like Trent wasn't doing well enough in pre-snap reads to get out of bad situations - or hang tough when the blitz wasn't on, for that matter.

The video that a poster put up here earlier in the thread, the 98 yard TD to TO (longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills history) was off of an audible. Fitz saw single coverage on TO and went for it. The 51 yard TD pass to TO in the Fish game at the Ralph last year was an audible too. His 31 yard run for a TD in that game too (longest TD run from scrimmage by a Bills QB in Buffalo Bills history) was also an on the fly big play.

The man's football smart and a competitor that other players want to play with. He will raise the level of play on the rest of the team like he did last year.

Yeah the OLine will make it tough, but not impossible.

Plus he can play in a blizzard.

Terrible accuracy.

Last season he threw at 56% (his worst season) Trent threw at 60%. They were almost the same in YPA 6.3/6.4 which suggests that he checks down less/throws it for longer gains since his completions must be a bit further on average than Trent's to equal around the same YPA. Not that inaccurate via stats :unsure: