Is Lee Evans a True #1 Receiver?

It is a simple fact in terms of contractual amount that like it or not Evans is our #1 WR. I generally agree with the original assessment in this thread that in general he ain't as good as we want but does have some talents that are #1 like.

We are not going to get a player capable of being the #1 (except the odd TO circumstance like last year or taking the good and downsides of a Randy Moss) so I think the real question is how to we find a #2 which accentuates the positive and minimizes the negatives of Evans.

Johnson is not it. He seems to have some OK fundamentals like good route running and size but alas he simply has not been the demonstrated threat that makes it difficult for the opposing DC to simply take Evans out of the game with a dt.

INHO, the Bills would have (and potentially still can) profit the most from using Spiller as the #2.

The downside is that he has not demonstrated yet he has the route running ability to be the standard possession WR of an NFL #2. I do not think this is a stopper in that the big advantage of having Spiller on the opposite wing to Evans is that it makes it a lot more difficult for the opposing DC to dt Evans or have his fastest or his best cover guy assigned to Evans.

Also, if we can do this, it allows us to routinely put Jax, Lynch and Spiller all on the field at the same time. It also allows us to give Jax and Lynch the number of RB touches they seem to need to most effective.

This maneuver also gets Spiller outside and in space immediately were he seems to be most effective (imagine Spiller lined up wide and the opposing DC decides to leave his CB on an island with Spiller (if he had decided to neurtalize Evans with an over and under dt). The CB on Spiller either had to try to sit on Spiller's route to cut off the quick pass and thus be vulnerable to the fly flag pattern or instead he gives Spiller cushion which makes the quick pass even easier and Spiller simply needs to make the one guy miss.

My sense is that a Evans Spiller duo actually forces the opposing DC into a zone. If we are running a 3 WR set with Parrish the dc almost must nickel (if not dime) up. Jax or Lynch would then have a field day running against a spread D rather than facing 8 guys in the box.

This approach would lessen the # of touches Spiller gets. but given our failed attempt to try to have Spiller carry us in a stadard RB role on Sunday I am willing to sacrifice this for using Spiller all the time to get the D we want and some of the time on quick passes, fly patterns (when TE and Spiller read the CB as cheating to the LOS) and sometime lining Spiller up as RB even though he is my #2WR in our base O.

I am confident that Spiller can learn the #2 WR role as he has run routes before as a receiving threat in motion from the RB slot. The work is different but not that different from what he is used to.

if you mean just using Spiller as a WR, i absolutely disagree. If you mean lining spiller up in the backfield and motioning him out, then i'd agree. Spiller as a WR = a DB is covering him. Spiller as a halfback split out = more than likely a linebacker is going to be covering him, unless they're playing nickel/dime.

Ive asked this 1,000 times. Name me a receiver that had a great stats year with a bad QB?

Last year Brandon Marshall had a good season (over 1000 yards and 10 TDs). Steve Smith and Santana Moss both almost hit 1000 yards last year - much better than Lee did. There will be guys on teams with bad QBs that outperform Lee this year as well.

---

I don't think trying to turn CJ Spiller into a wide receiver is a good idea, btw.

Edited by Benjamin Barker

Lee is what his stats say he is and that is about #60. He has been second to third tier for over two years now and showed no inclination to move up from that spot last week. He would be fighting for playing time as third WR on any decent team.

declaring that spiller should be the #2 wideout is absolutely, positively absurd. some people are just plain stupid.

boy this thread got stupid.

Lee is better that ANY receiver on the following teams:

Tennessee, Minn, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, Oakland, Cleveland, St.Louis, Denver

he is about as good as any receiver on these teams:

Tampa, Washington, New Orleans, KC, Philly, Indy, Balt, Pitts, NYJ

some are debatable, some are not... the point is not that other WR's with better stats last year have bad QB's too.. it's that they have QB's who throw the ball.

Edited by Brainiac72

Last year Brandon Marshall had a good season (over 1000 yards and 10 TDs). Steve Smith and Santana Moss both almost hit 1000 yards last year - much better than Lee did. There will be guys on teams with bad QBs that outperform Lee this year as well.

---

I don't think trying to turn CJ Spiller into a wide receiver is a good idea, btw.

Michael Crabtree sucks.

Also concerning Marshall, Kyle Orton is a better QB than people give him credit for and probably better than Trent.

Steve Smith is just better than Lee, but to say anyone almost had 1000 yards is quite arbitrary. If Lee doesn't get held on the deep throw against Miami he catches a touchdown and has 5 for 80 w/1TD and this thread never happens.

The stats dont make sense he with a good QB would make the pro bowl almost every year. If he had Peyton throwing him the ball he would put up better numbers than reggie wayne!!!

The stats dont make sense he with a good QB would make the pro bowl almost every year. If he had Peyton throwing him the ball he would put up better numbers than reggie wayne!!!

Lee is what his stats say he is and that is about #60. He has been second to third tier for over two years now and showed no inclination to move up from that spot last week. He would be fighting for playing time as third WR on any decent team.

declaring that spiller should be the #2 wideout is absolutely, positively absurd. some people are just plain stupid.

Im so dumbfounded by this, im not even sure how to respond. besides C'mon Man.

If the Bills had a real # 1, Evans would look a lot better. T.O. had better numbers than Evans last year, even with all his drops.

Evans completely disappears during entire games, and never seems to make much of a difference outside the occasional long bomb.

He IS also way overpaid: I would trade him now for a solid # 2 and a draft pick, and start rebuilding this Receiver unit

while the team waits for a QB.

Wes Welker is not better than Lee Evans. He was a glorifed punt returner in Miami. If you actually watch any Patriot games, he receives mostly swing passes and follows his blocks.

QB's make receivers good.

Ive asked this 1,000 times. Name me a receiver that had a great stats year with a bad QB?

2006: Andre Johnson: 103 receptions, 1147 yds, 5 TD's: David Carr his QB. Lead NFL in receptions.

Edited by SoggyHog

2006: Andre Johnson: 103 receptions, 1147 yds, 5 TD's: David Carr his QB. Lead NFL in receptions.

2006: Lee Evans, 82 receptions, 1292 yds, 8 TDs: JP Losman his QB. Beat Carr in both receiving yards and TDs.

I suppose you can put up decent #s even with a crappy QB...but it's REALLY tough when that QB is ascared to throw the ball downfield (I'm looking at YOU Trent).

2006: Lee Evans, 82 receptions, 1292 yds, 8 TDs: JP Losman his QB. Beat Carr in both receiving yards and TDs.

I suppose you can put up decent #s even with a crappy QB...but it's REALLY tough when that QB is ascared to throw the ball downfield (I'm looking at YOU Trent).

EDIT above.

Obviously, I meant Lee beat Andre Johnson in yds and TDs that year, with JP at the helm.

---

But again, back here in real life (or in the fantasy world of this board about the fantasy world of the NFL, do you advocate getting a specific better #1 WR? I do not see a Randy Moaa, Wes Welker or even a TO that is available? I am sure inquiring minds would love to know the suggestion or simply ignore this as a fantasy thread about a fantasy based on nothing.

On the other, hand there are those of us who see that the reality contractually that Evans is that our #1 WR for a few more years. He certainly has not put up #1 results and is by no means the perfect receiver, but he does have some undeniable talents and they can only be helped by having a serious #2 WR.

Looking at our roster I propose that even though Spiller would be not use to his greatest capacity as an athlete at #2 WR, the goal is not to do well for Spiller but to do best as possible for the team. Spiller demonstrated that at least in his first go round in our O he is not likely to get 15 touches per game at RB.

He is not schooled at running WR routes, but he has demonstrated he is an extraordinary talent who if plunked out in open space basically demands a double team to allow for pressure coverage or he will not even need to run a route if he steps back and catches the ball against a light covering CB he need only beat that one defender and its off to the races.

If you dt him it makes it harder to dt Evans and this allows him to be the best he can be even if you do not believe him to be a #1.

The other advantage of playing Spiller out wide is that not only do you get closer to getting him 15 touches (though I would use him as our #2 WR in our base O, I would also from time to time line him up at RB and hand him the ball and line him up in the backfield and then send him out for a pass in motion) but I also run the end around from time to time and force the D to guess how we might line up even when they see who is in the huddle.

By putting Spiller at WR you also get to run Jax and Lynch at RB where this duo proved effective in their appearances Sunday.

The basic question raised by your complaints about Evans which no one sees any real reason to dispute is whether it is easier to find a new #1 or to find a better #2WR than Srevie. If you do not like Spiller at #2 are there any real suggestions you have or is whining about Evans it?

Lee Evans is a decent NFL receiver, and would be a good complimentary receiver on a team with a solid stud #1 possession-type receiver.

He is overpaid for what he does, and he is screwed anyhow by having no quarterback.

Oh and the guy saying that Lee Evans is about as good as the receivers on these teams:

Tampa, Washington, New Orleans, KC, Philly, Indy, Balt, Pitts, NYJ

Marques Colston, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, and Anquan Boldin would like to have a word with you. Also Sidney Rice from Minnesota, a team that Lee Evans would _clearly_ be the #1 receiver on.

LOL.

He's a #20 receiver in the league. Not bad, but also really bad when your next best receiver is maybe the 100th best.

Also, seriously no, C.J. Spiller should not be turned into a wide receiver. That is a terrible idea. You generally want to take your high draft picks and play them at their actual position. Just saying.

he might be a number 1 receiver if we ever get an offensive line that would give the qb more than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, and assuming we get that, we have a qb who can deliver it. Let me reiterate...Evans looks bad because of the poor pass protection. Edwards looks bad because of poor pass protection. You won't know anything bout either one of them until the pass protection issue gets resolved. Nobody cared about this in free agency, nobody cared about it in the draft, nobody cared about it in trades and nobody cared about it on the waiver wire. Answer....everyone is going to suck until someone recognizes the problem and does something about it.