Gailey messes up by not starting Fred Jackson

USABuffaloFan

What was Chan Gailey thinking picking Trent Edwards and CJ Spiller to start. First off preseason stats mean nothing. Last years stats for the year mean everything. Fred Jackson after the first 3 starts last year was 4th in rushing and 1st in all purpose yards for running backs. By years end he had a record that put him 4th All Time in total yards gained by a NFL player. He started 8 or 9 games total and had these accomplishments. Trent Edwards was benched and out perfomed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, but not neccesarily by wins. CJ Spiller was in college.

So in his infinite wisdom Chan Gailey starts Trent and CJ. Is anyone really suprised what happened yesterday. Heck if we had rebuilt the offensive line I might understand. This line is minus RT Butler starting last years. It has alittle more experience but 2 players are coming back from major injuries. Two players last year (Jackson and Fitzpatrick) were effective despite all the O-line injuries, wouldn't they have faired better yesterday. We are not building for the future by playing CJ Spiller. If anything we may hamper his progress by hurting his confidence behind this line much like Trent Edwards. Fred Jackson doesn't have a confidence problem and wants the job, he is down right pissed at Bills management for seeing the bench. Yesterday all he did was run 4 times for 19 yards, thats over 4 yards a carry. He had two good runs out of the wildcat, one that got called back because of a hold by Levitre. Fred looked good in the wildcat, looked in control. Given more chances in a close game Fred would have come through, he always does. This is a no brainer decsion that lets me know this staff has no real clue were it's talent really is. Fred didn't play much for Chan to see, he needs to watch more game film of him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't afraid to sit in the pocket and can scramble. He is not the most accurate QB but is capable of the big play. Yesterday could have used that in a very close scoring game. Trent is opposite of Losman and Bledsoe, he gets rid of the ball too quick. Yesterday when there was no pressure on a few pass plays, he still checked down. He often rolls out of pressure the wrong way also. He has little feel in the pocket. The results were predictable and no different than last year, check the Cleveland game. Trent got very lucky he wasn't picked off 2-4 times. This came very close to being a blowout.

If CJ and Trent continue to start we will go 4-12 or less, not because CJ isn't any good, he is a rookie. We are not going to the playoffs but we could win 7-9 games with Fitzpatrick or Brohm handing off to Fred Jackson then Spiller. Fred has proven himself for a couple years and definetly last year, shame he was benched by Jauron. Gailey showed little confidence in the run game by running 4 out 12 plays to start game, 1st 2 series had no runs and were 3 and out. Also 4-5 WR sets at this point to start a game was not being tricky but truely stupid. Gailey truely hurt Trents confidence since he was sacked twice in 2 series. Lets hope Gailey is a fast learner, this could be a long season if he isn't!!!!! :wallbash:

Guest dog14787

What was Chan Gailey thinking picking Trent Edwards and CJ Spiller to start. First off preseason stats mean nothing. Last years stats for the year mean everything. Fred Jackson after the first 3 starts last year was 4th in rushing and 1st in all purpose yards for running backs. By years end he had a record that put him 4th All Time in total yards gained by a NFL player. He started 8 or 9 games total and had these accomplishments. Trent Edwards was benched and out perfomed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, but not neccesarily by wins. CJ Spiller was in college.

So in his infinite wisdom Chan Gailey starts Trent and CJ. Is anyone really suprised what happened yesterday. Heck if we had rebuilt the offensive line I might understand. This line is minus RT Butler starting last years. It has alittle more experience but 2 players are coming back from major injuries. Two players last year (Jackson and Fitzpatrick) were effective despite all the O-line injuries, wouldn't they have faired better yesterday. We are not building for the future by playing CJ Spiller. If anything we may hamper his progress by hurting his confidence behind this line much like Trent Edwards. Fred Jackson doesn't have a confidence problem and wants the job, he is down right pissed at Bills management for seeing the bench. Yesterday all he did was run 4 times for 19 yards, thats over 4 yards a carry. He had two good runs out of the wildcat, one that got called back because of a hold by Levitre. Fred looked good in the wildcat, looked in control. Given more chances in a close game Fred would have come through, he always does. This is a no brainer decsion that lets me know this staff has no real clue were it's talent really is. Fred didn't play much for Chan to see, he needs to watch more game film of him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't afraid to sit in the pocket and can scramble. He is not the most accurate QB but is capable of the big play. Yesterday could have used that in a very close scoring game. Trent is opposite of Losman and Bledsoe, he gets rid of the ball too quick. Yesterday when there was no pressure on a few pass plays, he still checked down. He often rolls out of pressure the wrong way also. He has little feel in the pocket. The results were predictable and no different than last year, check the Cleveland game. Trent got very lucky he wasn't picked off 2-4 times. This came very close to being a blowout.

If CJ and Trent continue to start we will go 4-12 or less, not because CJ isn't any good, he is a rookie. We are not going to the playoffs but we could win 7-9 games with Fitzpatrick or Brohm handing off to Fred Jackson then Spiller. Fred has proven himself for a couple years and definetly last year, shame he was benched by Jauron. Gailey showed little confidence in the run game by running 4 out 12 plays to start game, 1st 2 series had no runs and were 3 and out. Also 4-5 WR sets at this point to start a game was not being tricky but truely stupid. Gailey truely hurt Trents confidence since he was sacked twice in 2 series. Lets hope Gailey is a fast learner, this could be a long season if he isn't!!!!! :wallbash:

Gailey messed up by not allowing CJ enough plays to get into any kind of groove in my opinion.

I stopped reading your post a couple of sentences in.

Gailey messed up by not allowing CJ enough plays to get into any kind of groove in my opinion.

I stopped reading your post a couple of sentences in.

I see, so you think 6 yards on 7 carries for 1.27 yard average is better than 4 carries for 19 yards for a 4.75 yard average and this warrants Spiller more carries in a game. Maybe if you finished reading my post you wouldn't have put up such a ridiculous comment. You would than have realized how good Fred Jackson is and stopped salivating on the fact Spiller was a 1st round pick, 9th over, all making 5 million a year. It doesn't matter one bit if the Bills are losing football games.

Do you care to say how many TDs did Jackson have last season. 2 Rushing and 2 Passing TDs. That is not good enough from your starting RB. Also, the record for most yards in the history is a pathetic use of evidence. It does not get you anything with regards to running the ball effectively. Our 3rd down conversion was still the lowest in Bills history.

I see, so you think 6 yards on 7 carries for 1.27 yard average is better than 4 carries for 19 yards for a 4.75 yard average and this warrants Spiller more carries in a game. Maybe if you finished reading my post you wouldn't have put up such a ridiculous comment. You would than have realized how good Fred Jackson is and stopped salivating on the fact Spiller was a 1st round pick, 9th over, all making 5 million a year. It doesn't matter one bit if the Bills are losing football games.

CJ was our top pick for a reason, and he needs touches in order to shine, just like any other starting RB in the NFL.

I stopped reading your post 1.5 sentences in.

Do you care to say how many TDs did Jackson have last season. 2 Rushing and 2 Passing TDs. That is not good enough from your starting RB. Also, the record for most yards in the history is a pathetic use of evidence. It does not get you anything with regards to running the ball effectively. Our 3rd down conversion was still the lowest in Bills history.

So a 1000 yard rusher in 9 starts with a 4.6 yard average means nothing. How is it his fault Lynch came in on short yardage situations. I don't remember Jackson missing TD's. He wasn't given the chance. The Bills often went to the pass in goal line situations. That was what everyone was upset with. I am not saying Spiller won't be good some day but even Thurman Thomas today said he would rely on Jackson before Spiller! You know best, have more blog replies than me. :worthy:

Fail... um fred jackson was on the field for the first play. Hence he started. In fact the ball was thrown to FJ on the FIRST play...evidentally he dropped it... it hit him in his still injured hand. If he would of caught it there was room to run. Got anything else?

Oh yeah, Spiller made alot of great plays. That pass could have been caught but wasn't well thrown. So one missed pass and Freddy is worth nothing. The guy did break his hand 5 weeks ago. Bet you wouldn't man up after that and play that game. :worthy:

Oh yeah, Spiller made alot of great plays. That pass could have been caught but wasn't well thrown. So one missed pass and Freddy is worth nothing. The guy did break his hand 5 weeks ago. Bet you wouldn't man up after that and play that game. :worthy:

Dude, try doing a search before starting a new topic on something that's already been discussed. Wasn't thrown well? It hit Jackson in his hands. All we know is this rotation of running backs will not work.

Fred Jackson starting

Ur kidding me right? Ur making this too easy. It was thrown right to him. Go back and watch the play. And who said anything about CJ, i certainly didnt. Way to try and avoid the fact that u were wrong. Fact is FJ was hurt, u even said it urself. Why take a risk in loosing him for the entire season by hurting his hand more. Not to mention his bum hand makes him no use on pass plays as seen by that first play. Nice try to make something out of nothing. Time to move along.

If you think which RB started the game had any impact on the final result you are clueless. All the RB's had chances and Lynch did as well or better than Jackson. It doesn't matter which RB starts or plays when the line can't open a hole, McIntyre gets a holding penalty on a good Jackson run, and there is no NFL level TE on the roster. Add in Trent at QB and the offense is ****. It will be until they fix the line and get a QB with more hair on his scrotum than his face.

Ur kidding me right? Ur making this too easy. It was thrown right to him. Go back and watch the play. And who said anything about CJ, i certainly didnt. Way to try and avoid the fact that u were wrong. Fact is FJ was hurt, u even said it urself. Why take a risk in loosing him for the entire season by hurting his hand more. Not to mention his bum hand makes him no use on pass plays as seen by that first play. Nice try to make something out of nothing. Time to move along.

He took two long snaps from center in the Wildcat formation and made good plays. On his rushing carries he averaged 4.75 yards per carry and had a 6 yard called back. You want to insist he was hurt still and couldn't play because he dropped "One" pass. Try it was the first play of the game for him and he had seen little game action since last year. Were does the play for him show he wasn't healthy enough to be out there. I am thinking maybe your a tade byassed and have a love affection for fantasy football. I will take Jackson over Spiller any day of the week THIS YEAR. I will be proven right. I have been giving good stats to prove my point for Jackson. You keep bring up one dropped pass.

If you think which RB started the game had any impact on the final result you are clueless. All the RB's had chances and Lynch did as well or better than Jackson. It doesn't matter which RB starts or plays when the line can't open a hole, McIntyre gets a holding penalty on a good Jackson run, and there is no NFL level TE on the roster. Add in Trent at QB and the offense is ****. It will be until they fix the line and get a QB with more hair on his scrotum than his face.

Ah, so 3 carries for 13 yards adds up to 4.3 yards a carry. Yeah I see your point that is better than 4 carries for 19 yards at 4.75 yards a carry. How did I miss that much impact!!!!!! :wallbash:

He took two long snaps from center in the Wildcat formation and made good plays. On his rushing carries he averaged 4.75 yards per carry and had a 6 yard called back. You want to insist he was hurt still and couldn't play because he dropped "One" pass. Try it was the first play of the game for him and he had seen little game action since last year. Were does the play for him show he wasn't healthy enough to be out there. I am thinking maybe your a tade byassed and have a love affection for fantasy football. I will take Jackson over Spiller any day of the week THIS YEAR. I will be proven right. I have been giving good stats to prove my point for Jackson. You keep bring up one dropped pass.

Ah, so 3 carries for 13 yards adds up to 4.3 yards a carry. Yeah I see your point that is better than 4 carries for 19 yards at 4.75 yards a carry. How did I miss that much impact!!!!!! :wallbash:

You made the point that it was a poor first pass. Again, it hit Jackson in the hands. You're proven wrong there.

You want stats, Lynch had the best run of the day (15 yards). WOW! Jackson had the most yards (19). WOW! Trent Edwards had the best yards per carry average (6.0). Maybe we should put him at running back!!! When it comes down to it, our offensive numbers totally sucked. Only an idiot would try to make a point of saying a guy who gained 19 yards on 4 carries is the man. No one will do well in this rotation. More than likely, the running game will struggle against the Packers, no matter who is back there. No defense respects Trent Edwards. Fix the line, fix the QB and we'll have something to talk about with our RBs. Until then, the Bills will continue to struggle.

Oh yes, Gailey messed up by rotating running backs, Gailey messed up by putting the Bills in a 2nd and 10 hole by trying to throw to a guy getting over a hand injury. Gailey did not mess up by not starting Jackson. As someone else pointed out, Fred Jackson did start. You're proven wrong there. Seems like you can't admit when you're wrong and you just choose to change the argument.

+1

I really don't think that the starter at RB made any difference in the outcome.

There were a lot more things to kill Gailey on than that.

You made the point that it was a poor first pass. Again, it hit Jackson in the hands. You're proven wrong there.

You want stats, Lynch had the best run of the day (15 yards). WOW! Jackson had the most yards (19). WOW! Trent Edwards had the best yards per carry average (6.0). Maybe we should put him at running back!!! When it comes down to it, our offensive numbers totally sucked. Only an idiot would try to make a point of saying a guy who gained 19 yards on 4 carries is the man. No one will do well in this rotation. More than likely, the running game will struggle against the Packers, no matter who is back there. No defense respects Trent Edwards. Fix the line, fix the QB and we'll have something to talk about with our RBs. Until then, the Bills will continue to struggle.

Oh yes, Gailey messed up by rotating running backs, Gailey messed up by putting the Bills in a 2nd and 10 hole by trying to throw to a guy getting over a hand injury. Gailey did not mess up by not starting Jackson. As someone else pointed out, Fred Jackson did start. You're proven wrong there. Seems like you can't admit when you're wrong and you just choose to change the argument.

Fred Jackson started out in the slot as the 4th reciever, not the featured running back. Gailey named Spiller the starting running back, are you really trying to argue this point. Fred only came in to run the ball when Spiller was putting up 6 yards in 7 carries rushing. For 4 carries that count, Fred averaged 4.75 yards a carry, he had one 6 yarder called back from holding. Fred averages 4.6 yards a carry for his NFL career. Are you trying to argue if Fred had more carries he wouldn't have kept that average up. Gailey screwed up by not staying with the running game. He screwed up by not running Fred and Marshawn more. As the game went on he could give Spiller a few more touches to see if he could get going.

The point I was making from this post in the beginning is Fred Jackson was the Bills MVP and 1000 yard rusher with a 4.5 yard per carry average last year. Most fans in this post act like he is a bum on this team. Fred deserves alot more respect than most people on the Bills boards are giving him. He deserved to be the featured back and if Spiller plays better as the year goes on the change can be made. Fred has been around for a while and is a successful NFL running back. He would out perform Spiller this year and 80% of the backs in the league with 16 games starting.

We lost the game because we quit on the run. We lost the game because Trent, once he gets hit, loses confidence and checks down to short throws on every play. We lost the game because Spiller couldn't knock off a run in 7 tries and went to the bench. This all falls on Gailey because of the choices he made on offense.

No one commenting on Fred's missed pass or any other comment gets the big picture. Fred did nothing but run for 1000 yards last year in 9 starts, was the 2nd leading reciever with 46 catches for 8 yards a carry and had 1000 kickoff yards for 24.5 yard average. That is a pretty good year. Running backs counted for 6 of 19 total TD's scored, Jackson had 4 of them. When Fred started last year we won five games. The head coach/offensive coordinator failed last year to put the Bills in a good place and start the proper people (ie.. Lynch), hence our record. Gailey did the same thing this year not utilizing his best players. Same results, we didn't win!!!!!!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

Fred Jackson started out in the slot as the 4th reciever, not the featured running back. Gailey named Spiller the starting running back, are you really trying to argue this point. Fred only came in to run the ball when Spiller was putting up 6 yards in 7 carries rushing. For 4 carries that count, Fred averaged 4.75 yards a carry, he had one 6 yarder called back from holding. Fred averages 4.6 yards a carry for his NFL career. Are you trying to argue if Fred had more carries he wouldn't have kept that average up. Gailey screwed up by not staying with the running game. He screwed up by not running Fred and Marshawn more. As the game went on he could give Spiller a few more touches to see if he could get going.

The point I was making from this post in the beginning is Fred Jackson was the Bills MVP and 1000 yard rusher with a 4.5 yard per carry average last year. Most fans in this post act like he is a bum on this team. Fred deserves alot more respect than most people on the Bills boards are giving him. He deserved to be the featured back and if Spiller plays better as the year goes on the change can be made. Fred has been around for a while and is a successful NFL running back. He would out perform Spiller this year and 80% of the backs in the league with 16 games starting.

We lost the game because we quit on the run. We lost the game because Trent, once he gets hit, loses confidence and checks down to short throws on every play. We lost the game because Spiller couldn't knock off a run in 7 tries and went to the bench. This all falls on Gailey because of the choices he made on offense.

No one commenting on Fred's missed pass or any other comment gets the big picture. Fred did nothing but run for 1000 yards last year in 9 starts, was the 2nd leading reciever with 46 catches for 8 yards a carry and had 1000 kickoff yards for 24.5 yard average. That is a pretty good year. Running backs counted for 6 of 19 total TD's scored, Jackson had 4 of them. When Fred started last year we won five games. The head coach/offensive coordinator failed last year to put the Bills in a good place and start the proper people (ie.. Lynch), hence our record. Gailey did the same thing this year not utilizing his best players. Same results, we didn't win!!!!!!

We lost because our OL and QB are terrible

The point I was making from this post in the beginning is Fred Jackson was the Bills MVP and 1000 yard rusher with a 4.5 yard per carry average last year. Most fans in this post act like he is a bum on this team. Fred deserves alot more respect than most people on the Bills boards are giving him.

The Bills did not think that way when they picked Spiller at #9. The Bills believe Fred is a good change up back, but is not necessarily the play maker. When I mentioned that Fred had only 2 rushing TD the whole year, what I meant is that he was not a playmaker. You don't have to score a TD only from the 1 yard line (which is what you adhered to when you wrote that the Bills put Lynch in those situations). Scoring TDs wins in this league. Fred did not do that. I think he had a wonderful season amidst all the crap that happened last year. However, he is not the long term solution.