Gailey messes up by not starting Fred Jackson

USABuffaloFan

Another reason why Spiller shouldn't be starting as a rookie. Here is Chan Gailey's comments about Spillers's running Sunday.

"He was trying so hard and he went so fast that he wasn't letting things develop in front of him," Gailey said of Spiller. "He's got to realize that he's got that gear, just let it develop and then hit that gear. He'll get better as time goes on"

That was in the Democrat and Chronicle in an article by Sal.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100914/SPORTS03/9140328/tbd

CJ is not ready yet!!!!

Another reason why Spiller shouldn't be starting as a rookie. Here is Chan Gailey's comments about Spillers's running Sunday.

"He was trying so hard and he went so fast that he wasn't letting things develop in front of him," Gailey said of Spiller. "He's got to realize that he's got that gear, just let it develop and then hit that gear. He'll get better as time goes on"

I hope Spiller does get better (and I think he will) but Gaileys quote is BS. I suspect he is trying to take some of the pressure off of Spiller. It is hard for any back, particularly a small one like Spiller, to do anything if as soon as you get the ball someone is hitting you. Gailey needs to find a way to get the ball to Spiller with a little room to maneuver. How, I have no idea. Nothing Sunday, for the limited time Spiller was in, seemed to be working and the defenses are only getting tougher in the upcoming weeks.

We should start Jackson and bring Spiller/Lynch in for situational work and/or as a decoy. We should not rotate the RB's like we did in game 1. They just stacked the box when spiller was in.

RANT: Also the screen passes were freaking horrible.. how about getting the RB 3-5 yards down the field before throwing them the ball.. END RANT

We should start Jackson and bring Spiller/Lynch in for situational work and/or as a decoy. We should not rotate the RB's like we did in game 1. They just stacked the box when spiller was in.

RANT: Also the screen passes were freaking horrible.. how about getting the RB 3-5 yards down the field before throwing them the ball.. END RANT

Enough already with the "he quit on the running game" criticism. You do not have a running game when the line can't open holes and when there are 8 men in the box daring you to throw (and you don't or can't). You can't run the ball effectively if you can't throw the ball effectively. And you can't throw the ball effectively if defenders are arriving with the snap. Gailey didn't "give up" on the running game; he tried to open up the running game by getting the passing game going. If Lee Evans is correct, deep throws were being called and Edwards wasn't throwing them. Once Miami saw that, they just hauled off on the RBs.

What was Chan Gailey thinking picking Trent Edwards and CJ Spiller to start. First off preseason stats mean nothing. Last years stats for the year mean everything. Fred Jackson after the first 3 starts last year was 4th in rushing and 1st in all purpose yards for running backs. By years end he had a record that put him 4th All Time in total yards gained by a NFL player. He started 8 or 9 games total and had these accomplishments. Trent Edwards was benched and out perfomed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, but not neccesarily by wins. CJ Spiller was in college.

So in his infinite wisdom Chan Gailey starts Trent and CJ. Is anyone really suprised what happened yesterday. Heck if we had rebuilt the offensive line I might understand. This line is minus RT Butler starting last years. It has alittle more experience but 2 players are coming back from major injuries. Two players last year (Jackson and Fitzpatrick) were effective despite all the O-line injuries, wouldn't they have faired better yesterday. We are not building for the future by playing CJ Spiller. If anything we may hamper his progress by hurting his confidence behind this line much like Trent Edwards. Fred Jackson doesn't have a confidence problem and wants the job, he is down right pissed at Bills management for seeing the bench. Yesterday all he did was run 4 times for 19 yards, thats over 4 yards a carry. He had two good runs out of the wildcat, one that got called back because of a hold by Levitre. Fred looked good in the wildcat, looked in control. Given more chances in a close game Fred would have come through, he always does. This is a no brainer decsion that lets me know this staff has no real clue were it's talent really is. Fred didn't play much for Chan to see, he needs to watch more game film of him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't afraid to sit in the pocket and can scramble. He is not the most accurate QB but is capable of the big play. Yesterday could have used that in a very close scoring game. Trent is opposite of Losman and Bledsoe, he gets rid of the ball too quick. Yesterday when there was no pressure on a few pass plays, he still checked down. He often rolls out of pressure the wrong way also. He has little feel in the pocket. The results were predictable and no different than last year, check the Cleveland game. Trent got very lucky he wasn't picked off 2-4 times. This came very close to being a blowout.

If CJ and Trent continue to start we will go 4-12 or less, not because CJ isn't any good, he is a rookie. We are not going to the playoffs but we could win 7-9 games with Fitzpatrick or Brohm handing off to Fred Jackson then Spiller. Fred has proven himself for a couple years and definetly last year, shame he was benched by Jauron. Gailey showed little confidence in the run game by running 4 out 12 plays to start game, 1st 2 series had no runs and were 3 and out. Also 4-5 WR sets at this point to start a game was not being tricky but truely stupid. Gailey truely hurt Trents confidence since he was sacked twice in 2 series. Lets hope Gailey is a fast learner, this could be a long season if he isn't!!!!! :wallbash:

First, let me tell you that I agree with you about Edwards. Unfortunately, he is a good practice player. He looks great when there is no pressure and that is the only setting that Gailey has had an opportunity to witness until Sunday. Hopefully he will recognize sooner, rather than later that this guy can't play when it counts.

As for Spiller starting, this one I can understand. Jackson was not 100%, practiced only a couple of times before this game and had some sort of plastic device on his thumb that limited his ability to hold the ball. I feel confident that he will see his fare share of snaps when healthy and may even be the starter. Spiller will do just fine when the opportunity presents itself. The problem in this game was Trent Edwards. Miami was stacking the box and challenging him to beat them with his arm and he just isn't capable of doing it. Look for more of the same from GB this Sunday and every other team until they switch QB's. Teams know that TE can't or won't throw the ball downfield, so they will continue to take away the run and challenge him to pass.

What was Chan Gailey thinking picking Trent Edwards and CJ Spiller to start. First off preseason stats mean nothing. Last years stats for the year mean everything. Fred Jackson after the first 3 starts last year was 4th in rushing and 1st in all purpose yards for running backs. By years end he had a record that put him 4th All Time in total yards gained by a NFL player. He started 8 or 9 games total and had these accomplishments. Trent Edwards was benched and out perfomed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, but not neccesarily by wins. CJ Spiller was in college.

So in his infinite wisdom Chan Gailey starts Trent and CJ. Is anyone really suprised what happened yesterday. Heck if we had rebuilt the offensive line I might understand. This line is minus RT Butler starting last years. It has alittle more experience but 2 players are coming back from major injuries. Two players last year (Jackson and Fitzpatrick) were effective despite all the O-line injuries, wouldn't they have faired better yesterday. We are not building for the future by playing CJ Spiller. If anything we may hamper his progress by hurting his confidence behind this line much like Trent Edwards. Fred Jackson doesn't have a confidence problem and wants the job, he is down right pissed at Bills management for seeing the bench. Yesterday all he did was run 4 times for 19 yards, thats over 4 yards a carry. He had two good runs out of the wildcat, one that got called back because of a hold by Levitre. Fred looked good in the wildcat, looked in control. Given more chances in a close game Fred would have come through, he always does. This is a no brainer decsion that lets me know this staff has no real clue were it's talent really is. Fred didn't play much for Chan to see, he needs to watch more game film of him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't afraid to sit in the pocket and can scramble. He is not the most accurate QB but is capable of the big play. Yesterday could have used that in a very close scoring game. Trent is opposite of Losman and Bledsoe, he gets rid of the ball too quick. Yesterday when there was no pressure on a few pass plays, he still checked down. He often rolls out of pressure the wrong way also. He has little feel in the pocket. The results were predictable and no different than last year, check the Cleveland game. Trent got very lucky he wasn't picked off 2-4 times. This came very close to being a blowout.

If CJ and Trent continue to start we will go 4-12 or less, not because CJ isn't any good, he is a rookie. We are not going to the playoffs but we could win 7-9 games with Fitzpatrick or Brohm handing off to Fred Jackson then Spiller. Fred has proven himself for a couple years and definetly last year, shame he was benched by Jauron. Gailey showed little confidence in the run game by running 4 out 12 plays to start game, 1st 2 series had no runs and were 3 and out. Also 4-5 WR sets at this point to start a game was not being tricky but truely stupid. Gailey truely hurt Trents confidence since he was sacked twice in 2 series. Lets hope Gailey is a fast learner, this could be a long season if he isn't!!!!! :wallbash:

Considering Fred Jackson was on the field and was involved in the very first play, which by any definition in football means he did indeed start the game, I have no flippin' idea what point you are trying to make. :blink:

PTR

Considering Fred Jackson was on the field and was involved in the very first play, which by any definition in football means he did indeed start the game, I have no flippin' idea what point you are trying to make. :blink:

PTR

Not to mention when RBs are swapped in frequently based on the situation, what !@#$ing difference does it make who is there for the first snap?