Why the opening game is the most crucial of the season...

beggar13

I consider myself a pretty clear headed, realistic Bills fan - if that isn't an oxymoron these days - and I think the Bills Match up pretty nicely against our Division rivals this year. We've been close to beating New England in recent games, and I think they're worse this year and we're better. We beat the Jets last year and I think we can handle Sanchez and their running game, so we could concievably out-score them. Miami - I think we're pretty even with them on offense - it's a wash, and on special teams I think we have the edge. On defense, I like our secondary over theirs, their linebackers over ours, and I think the D-lines are pretty even. So, it should be close.

That said, the games outside our division are brutal this year. Our whole division has tough schedules, though, so I'm not ready to concede to our finishing last this year. Sure, it could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if any team in this division finished in first, or last, for that matter. I see it as a very tight division.

I'm hoping we have more talent that will show up on Sundays than people are giving us credit for, and that Gailey will keep us alive in some games by keeping our players playing hard, and with some good game planning. The season's here - it's exciting, and the games are still to be played, and stranger things have happened.

They only play 16 games. Every game is crucial. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised about the Bills knocking down GB in Lambeau.

Abssolutely. Every single game is crucial, but I'd also have to agree with the OP - winning the opener is absolutely critical to going...

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

If we don't win, I think we are starting the season 0-3, and possibly 0-4. Any confidence that was gained during the preseason will have completely dissipated after that losing streak. People will be calling for Brohm to play QB, players will have lost faith in Gailey, and I think the whole situation will just be beyond ugly. I can't even imagine all the negative posts here if that's the case.

If we DO win (and I think we will), the confidence will build. The players will be all in, as well as most of the fans. I really think Sunday's game is going to lay the foundation and shape our team to what it ultimately going to become by week 17. The question is, will it be a team with the first pick overall, or a team that has shocked the rest of the league and finished with a record of at least eight and eight. With all that being said, I am as psyched and nervous about this game as I ever have been in recent memory. Let's hope our team ultimately gets off on the right foot!

----------------------------------------------------------------==========================================================-

I have always thought that opening day - especially at home is the biggest and most important game of the season- it sets the tone for the whole season, especially the 2010 Bills. The Bills may start the season 1-3 but I think they win tomorrow.

:beer:

Edited by sabres...yawn

I totally agree this team needs a confidence boosting win to follow up on the solid pre-season showing. What makes the Bills opener so critical is that they have a murders row opening schedule. We have 3 really tough games after the opener. I think that if we win the opener it takes a lot of pressure off the team going into that three game stretch.

If we win the opener all we have to do is steal 1 of the next 3 and we go 2-2 into a very winnable game against Jacksonville. Even if we go 0-3 after winning against Miami then we go 1-3 into a very winnable game against Jacksonville. However we go 0-4 its not going be easy and we might be looking at a 4-5 win season.

Its so big for this team to survive the first 4 games. And winning the opener sets it up so that this team gets some positive momentum early. We need to beat Miami if we want this season to go anywhere.

If we don't win, I think we are starting the season 0-3, and possibly 0-4. Any confidence that was gained during the preseason will have completely dissipated after that losing streak. People will be calling for Brohm to play QB, players will have lost faith in Gailey, and I think the whole situation will just be beyond ugly. I can't even imagine all the negative posts here if that's the case.

If we DO win (and I think we will), the confidence will build. The players will be all in, as well as most of the fans. I really think Sunday's game is going to lay the foundation and shape our team to what it ultimately going to become by week 17. The question is, will it be a team with the first pick overall, or a team that has shocked the rest of the league and finished with a record of at least eight and eight. With all that being said, I am as psyched and nervous about this game as I ever have been in recent memory. Let's hope our team ultimately gets off on the right foot!

GO BILLS!!

I think we'll win too beggar. But if for some reason we don't win, I hope you won't overreact and might anticipate a slow start.. A season is not made or lost with a victory or loss in the first game. Sure it helps to win but if we lose, your confidence might be dissipated, but mine won't be and neither will the confidence of the players.

We are on the right path. If we win or lose this game we are moving in the right direction. Our very young players will gain good xp and will get better. If we win this game (which I think we will) then we'll get some valuable xp and also be 1-0.

Even if we lose the first two games, it is possible for our players to get valuable playing experience and progress from there. There is no need to look for and hit the panic button. With quality coaching patience is the key. Everyone chill and let our team grow.

Who knows we might even beat the fish by a decent margin.

Go Bills!!!

They are a young team even if they lose the first 4 they can (and unless they are hit by key injuries,) will finish stronger the more they learn and play in the system. That is why I think 9 wins is possible, time will tell.

GO BILLS !!!!!! Rip the fins off the fish!!!

One thing I like about Chan - he places a premium on winning divisional games.

He knows the importance of divisional rivalries.

I think Wade was the last coach here who had a clue about how important those games are.

Here's to Chan winning his first game as HC of The Bills!

Kick those !@#$ers back to Florida!

I think if we hit the Patriots game at 1-1, with less than 6 guys on the injured reserve list, we have a shot at taking New England.

The key word being "6". :D

That'd be some funny sh*t if it weren't so true. Imagine, we actually have to add IR counts to our predictions:blink: