Favorite announcers

DBilz2500

I generally don't notice much unless an announcer is either exceptionally good or bad.

I always found Madden to be very interesting and clearly knew what he was talking about.

Tasker is just so much of a mega-homer that I actually had to mute the sound in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game.

That plus his constant mistakes makes it too much to bear.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like brent musburger who does the ABC sat. night college football games... also I was very impressed by Mike Mayock's performance being the color guy for NBC during the Notre Dame game

As a football diehard, I also like Mayock. But last Saturday, I could see how an average fan who might have not played football could get lost in his X's and O's style. He's machine-like in that way, and doesn't have the same down-to-earth analysis style that Haden had. That being said, I loved it. It was his first Notre Dame game, so I think he'll grow into it.

i like phil simms. instead of him, he says im (which sounds like eem)

he says stuff like this:

he really got eem.

wow, he hit eem so hard.

i dont know why i love that word. i dont even say him anymore. i now used the word eem.

just because of that, PHIL SIMMS RULES FOR LIFE!!!! he's pretty funny on inside the nfl on showtime too.

Well just because no one else is saying it, Al Micheals has been at the top of the mountain for a long time, and deservedly so.

Michaels/Madden perhaps all time greatest.

i agree with you about michaels. madden can be annoying at times.

Props for the Keith Jackson reference - "Whoa nellie!".

I like Gus Johnson, bit over the top sometimes, but he really has the chance of saying something memorable.

As much as I hate to admit it, Troy Aikman does a very solid job as an analyst.

I agree with the original comment about Fox. Can't listen to Joe Buck, though Aikman is solid.

Gus Johnson is decent and excitable, but he's still rough around the edges. He sounds like a really, really good college student announcer, if that makes any sense. Tasker isn't good.

The best play-by-play guy out there, and it's a shame he isn't used more often, is Sean McDonough. He does mainly college football stuff for ESPN, but made his name doing the World Series for CBS in the early '90s. Even then he was in his mid-20s and was one of the best.

Yea I forgot about Sean McDonough he is a very good announcer and just seems to have one of those classic voices that brings out the best in the sport. I wish CBS would sign him on to do NFL play by play. Does anybody know anything about that new guy CBS got i think his name is Spero Dedes or something like that??

my rankings for play-by play guys...

Football: dick enberg, mike tirico, al michaels (he is easily the sharpest though), gus johnson, ian eagle (ya ya...maybe its cuz he's done so many bills games lately, but he's grown on me)

Hockey: bob cole (piss on anyone who hates him), mike emrick, pre-2000 joe bowen (before he became a caricature of himself)

the all-time best have to be the soccer announcers during the world cup though...

i could go on, but no other sport really matters enough now, does it?? ;)

Edited by QB Bills

The best play-by-play guy out there, and it's a shame he isn't used more often, is Sean McDonough. He does mainly college football stuff for ESPN, but made his name doing the World Series for CBS in the early '90s. Even then he was in his mid-20s and was one of the best.

McDonough, Jay Bilas, and Bill Rafftery for college hoops is my favorite announcing team in all of sports and it's not close.

Edited by BuffOrange

Enberg has been, and continues to be, solid, with perhaps a little slippage in recent years. And how about a shout-out for Buffalo native Don Criqui? Always money in the bank.

The hall of shame: Bill Maas, Randy Cross, Tony Siragusa, Solomon Wilcots.

Gus Johnson rules! His call of the Evans TD in the Jets game from two seasons ago is probably my favorite. I miss Paul Maguire and Mike Patrick. Those guys were first class.

youtube.com/watch?v=crfYXejxYfI&feature=fvst

Love Gus as well..know a lot of people don't like Bill Simmons( i think he's great), but this from his picks column today

(FYI: I planned on betting the Dolphins before finding out that Gus Johnson was calling this game. If you had a line for "amazing September endings Gus has called" versus "rock stars Kate Hudson has known in the biblical sense," I'd have Gus as a minus-3.5 favorite. And that's saying something. If you're a singer and you haven't made out with Kate Hudson yet, you need to re-evaluate things. Anyway, even the thought of C.J. Spiller scampering 78 yards for an overtime TD as Gus screams, "C.J. Spiller says SEE YOU LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" puts the fear of God in me. I'm staying away.)

Now, how many times have you seen the announcer sway your betting opinion..but you just know on opening day Gus is gunna have a big game and a great call :worthy::thumbsup:

I think Marv Albert is great. He just has a broadcasters voice. He is good on the radio, does a good job painting the scene. He is also mean to hookers. :blush:

As far as the TV guys, I like Tirico. Before he went to ESPN he was the weekend sports guy in Syracuse. If memory serves, he never even made the varsity squad at Channel 5 in Syracuse. He leapfrogged straight to ESPN. He sat next to me at the Spaghetti Warehouse once, we talked SYR hoops, nice guy.

He had a great line on the MNF game against Dallas a few years ago. "It's not delivery... it's DeGiorgio."

Gus Johnson is FAN-tastic.....I don't mind the MNF crew.....but if you really want a voice that is soothing, listening to a Dodger game with Vin Scully is pure heaven....

OK we're wandering off the gridiron... but Vin is the best baseball play-by-play guy of all time, hands down.

http://www.vinscullyismyhomeboy.com/2010/08/1988-dodgers-vs-as-world-series-rbi.html

"In a year that has been so improbable, the IMPOSSIBLE has happened!"

Can any football announcing moment touch this? Sadly, no. Van Miller's call of the end of The Comeback was pretty sweet, but it's not in this category.

I think where announcers start to suck... they look to insert themselves into moments. The great ones do this without effort.