Sparano expecting Bills Wildcat

I read this great quote about Gailey earlier this week in comparison to another highly respected offensive minded coach in Norv Turner: "Turner dares you to stop him. Gailey challenges you to outthink him."

This is why the spread is always screwed up the first week. Every team builds in a few surprises :flirt:

Edited by Another Point of View

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But of course Sparano knows that Gailey knows that Sparano is expecting the Wildcat.

Fortunately, Gailey has anticipated this.

Sounds like Sparano has fallen victim to one of the classic blunders.

All he has to do is divine what he knows about Gailey, is the the type of coach to run the wildcat.

I read this great quote about Gailey earlier this week in comparison to another highly respected offensive minded coach in Norv Turner: "Turner dares you to stop him. Gailey challenges you to outthink him."

That article was a bit dated... was this the one?

http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/off1024.html

Regardless, some good stuff in here :thumbsup:

The Bills showed some Wildcat in Preseason and I doubt Chan Gailey would show the Dolphins anything.

It is one big poker game.

With Gailey one big poker game sounds great. With, Jauron, it was more like one big game of Wack-A-Mole, except the

moles didn't jump up and down: they just stood there getting wacked.

He got involved in a land war in Asia?

I think he was referring to never going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line. You had a 50/50 shot.

EDIT: Iceman! Only you and Maverick are faster than me.

Edited by The Wiz

Sounds like a backhanded knock on our players, like he's doing whatever he can with what he has to work with...which is true I suppose.

PTR

Well he went on to say the same of himself. I prefer to think what we are hearing is that Gailey is expected to bring a diverse playbook, which means the number of things the Phins need to study is larger.

For my own curiousity. I would be interested to know how they compare preparing for the Bills offense past compares to what they anticipate now. Sure the playbook will be different, but i wonder how predictable the team was then and is now.

That could be, but I prefer to interpret the comments as Chan knows how to coach, unlike (fill in the name of your favorite whipping-boy coach here).

Totally agree. This is the way that I interpret it as well. Especially since this is his first year here in Buffalo, so he's stating Chan's abilities on past performance. Nothing to do with our guys.

I wonder if we'll run a wildcat at all vs the Dolphins. (Or more than one play) They practice against it more than any other team in the league. They _know_ how to defend against it and will pounce on any mistake we would make. I suspect that we're not that good at it yet, so why run it against the very experienced players of it?

Edited by Mark Long Beach

For my own curiousity. I would be interested to know how they compare preparing for the Bills offense past compares to what they anticipate now. Sure the playbook will be different, but i wonder how predictable the team was then and is now.

One of the things the Bills have been terrible with for years is tipping plays via formation or personnel on the field. That they've been like that for so long is indicative of poor self-scouting, they had poor awareness of their own tendencies. My favorite example, that mercifully stopped last year, was a run play the Bills had. We lineup in the off-set I, Josh Reed lines up outside the numbers and comes in motion toward the tight end. If Reed did not continue all the way through the formation the play was a run 100% of the time. If they ran the same play and action with a different player split wide, say a TE, it was a pass 100% of the time. They did it CONSTANTLY. If I could sit home and call out plays from the couch without hours and hours of film study do you think the Belicheck's of the world saw it too? Hell, the Pats told you - they ALWAYS knew what we were going to do. That should not happen. Ever. Chan's challenge will be to break his own tendencies throughout the year and counter his "money plays" to keep the defense off balance. People run slower and are more tentative when they are thinking and diagnosing. When they know what they are doing before the snap they are more decisive and aggressive. Don't discount the effect of that over the course of a game.

What'd they say about Dick Jauron? :devil:

It's NOT hard to beat Dick Jauron? :rolleyes:

One of the things the Bills have been terrible with for years is tipping plays via formation or personnel on the field. That they've been like that for so long is indicative of poor self-scouting, they had poor awareness of their own tendencies. My favorite example, that mercifully stopped last year, was a run play the Bills had. We lineup in the off-set I, Josh Reed lines up outside the numbers and comes in motion toward the tight end. If Reed did not continue all the way through the formation the play was a run 100% of the time. If they ran the same play and action with a different player split wide, say a TE, it was a pass 100% of the time. They did it CONSTANTLY. If I could sit home and call out plays from the couch without hours and hours of film study do you think the Belicheck's of the world saw it too? Hell, the Pats told you - they ALWAYS knew what we were going to do. That should not happen. Ever. Chan's challenge will be to break his own tendencies throughout the year and counter his "money plays" to keep the defense off balance. People run slower and are more tentative when they are thinking and diagnosing. When they know what they are doing before the snap they are more decisive and aggressive. Don't discount the effect of that over the course of a game.

Nice observations, K. Regarding your statement about money plays, there were some notable exceptions: Lombardi's Packers had their power sweep and later Joe Gibbs' counter-trey. In both cases, the offense said "here it is, stop us if you can." Of course both teams had the personnel to back it up. Otherwise I agree, especially with Belicheat. He always had his defenses ready to read the offense.

Guest dog14787

Totally agree. This is the way that I interpret it as well. Especially since this is his first year here in Buffalo, so he's stating Chan's abilities on past performance. Nothing to do with our guys.

I wonder if we'll run a wildcat at all vs the Dolphins. (Or more than one play) They practice against it more than any other team in the league. They _know_ how to defend against it and will pounce on any mistake we would make. I suspect that we're not that good at it yet, so why run it against the very experienced players of it?

My thoughts also...

Teams that wear teal call their offense the Wildcat, so we ain't running no !@#$ing Wildcat. It's the Buffalo Wing.

I like the name "Buffalo Wing"! It's so good that we have to come up with the play that best matches the name.

How about this setup?

5 Men on the OL, Lynch as FB, Jackson as RB, and Spiller out "on the wing" with Evans, and Parrish in the slot on the same side.

It's NOT hard to beat Dick Jauron? :rolleyes:

Nice observations, K. Regarding your statement about money plays, there were some notable exceptions: Lombardi's Packers had their power sweep and later Joe Gibbs' counter-trey. In both cases, the offense said "here it is, stop us if you can." Of course both teams had the personnel to back it up. Otherwise I agree, especially with Belicheat. He always had his defenses ready to read the offense.

I'm not going to pretend to have enough 60's Packer knowledge to know if they ever countered the sweep with say an end-around or halfback pass (though I'd suspect they did some HB passing with Hornung in there) but I do know the Redskins ran their share of play-action passes to keep you off the counter-trey. I hear what you're saying though. You don't need 1,000 plays but you do need at least one distinct counter (that changes regularly) to every play you do have and that's where the deception and keeping people off balance comes in. Are they gonna run the counter trey for the 20th time today or is <insert Redskin QB here> gonna pull it back and throw it over my head. We have been BRUTAL at that and it needs to improve now.

Edited by Special_K

I'm not going to pretend to have enough 60's Packer knowledge to know if they ever countered the sweep with say an end-around or halfback pass (though I'd suspect they did some HB passing with Hornung in there) but I do know the Redskins ran their share of play-action passes to keep you off the counter-trey. I hear what you're saying though. You don't need 1,000 plays but you do need at least one distinct counter (that changes regularly) to every play you do have and that's where the deception and keeping people off balance comes in. Are they gonna run the counter trey for the 20th time today or is <insert Redskinthe NFL franchise with the racist nickname QB here> gonna pull it back and throw it over my head. We have been BRUTAL at that and it needs to improve now.

That's the key, and I think Chan is (finally) the coach who can do that for the Bills (I hope).