Rooting for Injuries

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel happy if Brady got hurt?

• Hell yah!
    • Nope

When Mike Stratton rocked Keith Lincoln and broke his ribs everyone cheered the hit. Back then it was the hit heard round the world. It was not a cheapshot, just a hard nose play, no on cheered Keith Lincoln getting broken ribs. We all felt sorry for the guy. But boy did he get hammered. That is what you cheer for, not some freak leg injury to a player.

It seems like a fine line. That is probably the most celebrated play in Bills history.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, most people here must not really frequent other message boards across the Internet if you think this is trolling. Must not be a super web-savvy crowd here or something.

But yeah, I too was in the stands when news of Tom Brady's injury spread across the crowd. It was a very, very tangible thing, and was pretty awesome to experience. The place was electric. Old ladies high-fiving drunken youngsters and general pandemonium.

The whole, "I don't want another human being to suffer pain!" is such a disingenuous thing to say. Frankly, that is what people say who don't really give a lot of deep thought to issues of morality.

Football is a violent game. There is a weekly injury report. All players freely and openly acknowledge these risks each and every time they step on the field. Pop Warner players acknowledge this. High school players acknowledge this. College players acknowledge this. Only the professional athlete is actually compensated for this risk of injury. It is as much a part of the game as the referees and the goalposts. To liken it to a "regular Joe" getting hit by a car or assaulted by another person merely shows a lack of understanding and common sense.

Teams constantly look for a competitive edge. Coaches ABSOLUTELY preach the value of hitting the opposing players in such a way that they are rendered unable to continue in the game. Players don't sell out their own bodies for the hard hit because it makes you on the couch hoot and holler - they do it to prevent their opponent from being able to continue.

Everyone here will cheer when Chad Henne gets crushed by Aaron Maybin (LOL) on Sunday. You'll want him to blast that clown into next week.

But noooooooo, we don't want anyone to get hurt playing football. It's just a game!

We want to beat them at full strength! But yet anyone who knows a lick about football will preach the value of winning the physical battles. The value of physically dominating your opponent. To lay the big hits. To make them FEAR coming over the middle for fear of being carted off. But in a totally non-violent, never-injure-them kind of way.

Come on now, come to grips with the reality of the situation and stop spouting that tired rhetoric.

I want the Bills players to pound the Dolphins into the ground. I want Marcus Stroud to pick up Ricky Williams and pile-drive him into next week. I want to see the little Tweety Birds flying around his head. I want him out of there. I want them to ALL have to sit in an ice bath after the game for a month.

Do I want Chad Henne to be paralyzed for life? Of course not. Comparing this discussion to that is a Godwin's Law moment.

These guys are playing a violent game of their own free will and volition, and might I say are compensated quite nicely for the physical risk. I want my team to win the physical battles. I want the opposing players sitting on the sidelines, unable to continue, knowing that they just got trucked by a Buffalo Bill.

Man, most people here must not really frequent other message boards across the Internet if you think this is trolling. Must not be a super web-savvy crowd here or something.

But yeah, I too was in the stands when news of Tom Brady's injury spread across the crowd. It was a very, very tangible thing, and was pretty awesome to experience. The place was electric. Old ladies high-fiving drunken youngsters and general pandemonium.

The whole, "I don't want another human being to suffer pain!" is such a disingenuous thing to say. Frankly, that is what people say who don't really give a lot of deep thought to issues of morality.

Football is a violent game. There is a weekly injury report. All players freely and openly acknowledge these risks each and every time they step on the field. Pop Warner players acknowledge this. High school players acknowledge this. College players acknowledge this. Only the professional athlete is actually compensated for this risk of injury. It is as much a part of the game as the referees and the goalposts. To liken it to a "regular Joe" getting hit by a car or assaulted by another person merely shows a lack of understanding and common sense.

Teams constantly look for a competitive edge. Coaches ABSOLUTELY preach the value of hitting the opposing players in such a way that they are rendered unable to continue in the game. Players don't sell out their own bodies for the hard hit because it makes you on the couch hoot and holler - they do it to prevent their opponent from being able to continue.

Everyone here will cheer when Chad Henne gets crushed by Aaron Maybin (LOL) on Sunday. You'll want him to blast that clown into next week.

But noooooooo, we don't want anyone to get hurt playing football. It's just a game!

We want to beat them at full strength! But yet anyone who knows a lick about football will preach the value of winning the physical battles. The value of physically dominating your opponent. To lay the big hits. To make them FEAR coming over the middle for fear of being carted off. But in a totally non-violent, never-injure-them kind of way.

Come on now, come to grips with the reality of the situation and stop spouting that tired rhetoric.

I want the Bills players to pound the Dolphins into the ground. I want Marcus Stroud to pick up Ricky Williams and pile-drive him into next week. I want to see the little Tweety Birds flying around his head. I want him out of there. I want them to ALL have to sit in an ice bath after the game for a month.

Do I want Chad Henne to be paralyzed for life? Of course not. Comparing this discussion to that is a Godwin's Law moment.

These guys are playing a violent game of their own free will and volition, and might I say are compensated quite nicely for the physical risk. I want my team to win the physical battles. I want the opposing players sitting on the sidelines, unable to continue, knowing that they just got trucked by a Buffalo Bill.

I'm web savvy enough to know I don't have time to read all that.

I'm web savvy enough to know I don't have time to read all that.

But I even used paragraphs and spaced things out for your comfort :(

It really isn't all that many words, I promise.

Edit: Not sure I buy the "not enough time to read" thing when you are on the Bills Message Board in the first place ;)

Edited by akm0404

But I even used paragraphs and spaced things out for your comfort :(

It really isn't all that many words, I promise.

Edit: Not sure I buy the "not enough time to read" thing when you are on the Bills Message Board in the first place ;)

I think I have ADHD on message boards. I only can do like a regular paragraph or so of reading.......You did do a good job of spacing it out. The one huge paragraph thing wouldn't even get me to read a few lines........But, I got to the thing about old ladies high fiving teenagers and it being pandemonium and I was there and didn't see that, so I couldn't go any further when I saw how much more I had to read.

Edited by bbb

i do root for brady to get sacked, a lot! if he breaks his little pinky or his right thumb, not really praying for his swift recovery.

i broke my thumb once. big deal. had a cast and in a month, it was all better.

everyone knows their own heart. to wish malice is lame. if it happens during the game and its not too serious, that just how it goes in this game.

Not out of line at all. There's no moral dilemma either. These players are involved in a sport with a high incidence of injury, and they get paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. They know the risks. I loved it when Brady was injured a couple seasons back. There are rivalries in this game, and players you simply love to hate, like Brady. Do I wish for a player to never walk again? Of course not. Do I want him to get knocked into next week and be out for the rest of the game, or the season? Sure. There's nothing wrong with it, and since when does everyone have to be so PC when it comes to admitting it? Go on, admit it. You love the big hits,and anyone in enemy cloth can be on the receiving end. Some more than others. It's the nature of the sport. I do not go into a game thinking " I hope someone gets hurt today". But when the game starts, yeah. I want to see my favorite players obliterate another guy. None of these guys are out there against their will. It's not really a big deal to want your team to knock out the other teams best player.

Anyone who voted yes should be ashamed of themselves. Rooting for injuries to your opponent is moronic on so many levels it's not worth going into. It's classless and shows a complete and utter lack of sportsmanship and the nature of athletic competition.

It's also extremely cowardly. "Ooh, Tom Brady is so good it's better to not have to play against him. He might beat us. Wah!" Nobody but a huge PU**Y would want to play a team when they are not at their best. Where's the honor in that?

When we whip the Pats* WITH Tom Brady at QB, I'll say we beat the Pats* at their best. Otherwise it's nothing but another asterisk.

GO BILLS!!!

Not out of line at all. There's no moral dilemma either. These players are involved in a sport with a high incidence of injury, and they get paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. They know the risks. I loved it when Brady was injured a couple seasons back. There are rivalries in this game, and players you simply love to hate, like Brady. Do I wish for a player to never walk again? Of course not. Do I want him to get knocked into next week and be out for the rest of the game, or the season? Sure. There's nothing wrong with it, and since when does everyone have to be so PC when it comes to admitting it? Go on, admit it. You love the big hits,and anyone in enemy cloth can be on the receiving end. Some more than others. It's the nature of the sport. I do not go into a game thinking " I hope someone gets hurt today". But when the game starts, yeah. I want to see my favorite players obliterate another guy. None of these guys are out there against their will. It's not really a big deal to want your team to knock out the other teams best player.

+1

great post :)