Trent Edwards & Passing against Miami

boyst

Trent Edwards  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many yards must Edwards throw to win the game?

2. 2. Will Trent be able to pass for that many yards?

I have been looking at some stats from 2009, not that they mean much. The Fins had a pretty decent pass defense last year but I do not think we can win this game without the passing game opening up some plays, even if they are screens and boots/dumps. That being said, the above poll is pretty self explainitory, how many yards does Trent need to throw for us to win? Will he be able to throw that many?

My thought is that the Fins will be most vulnerable in the passing game. With Parcells stepping down, their DB's in fluxuation and being on the road it will spell a hard win to earn. Also, they have played without enthusiasm and soul this year and coming in to another opening season they will stay true to themselves and start slowly. However, if they can win it oculd be some great momentum to carry them to a good start.

That being said, I think Trent may only need 180 yards to lead us to victory. Our 3 backs may only need 150 yards collectively, as well, since I think the defense will be the strongest unit on the field. So, 180 passing yards and 150 rushing yards and we can win this game. There will definately be a TD scored by the defense.

It's not about how much Trent throws for, because if our running game is firing he won't have to do much except pick up some third downs and not turn the ball over.

It's really about whether or not our suspect linebacking corps can stop the Dolphins rushing attack.

I don't think they can :(

How exactly is Miami's gameday performance affected by Bill Parcells going from VP of football operations, with a GM underneath him, to a consultant, with that same GM now more empowered? Even if Parcells is some kind of football sorcerer, shouldn't his magic spells be about equally effective, since he's still employed by the team?

It will be about a balanced attack. Both running and throwing. More throwing against this team because that is their weakness. Look for Trent to throw a lot this game to RBs, Roscoe, Edwards and maybe even our new TE. There will be some play action because the Dolphin's will blitx a lot to hide their weak secondary.

I don't think this is a game that is going to be a shootout... so I can't imagine the need for Trent to throw for big yards.

I say 200+ yards, and he can easily do that.

The Bills will need 150+ yards on the ground though, I think that is more important.

Guest dog14787

I really like the public polls, its nice to see who agrees with you.

Some posters browse allot more then they post so its a great way for them to be heard.

Trent is going to need to pass for 225. If he doesn't it will mean he is playing checkdown ball. If he plays checkdown ball we are likely doomed. When the defense doesn't have to worry about anything beyond 15 yards from the line of scrimmage they will pack it in on you and get stingy REAL quick.

If you project Trent's stats from each of the individual preseason games for entire games, he would have thrown for 225+ yards each contest. That kind of production HAS to continue to see the same success on offense hence my number above needed to beat Miami.

I believe we will be a running team that will pass when it is to our advantage to keep the defense honest. Play action. Slant routes. Quick screens. Shallow crossing routes. Throwing deep and letting your #1 WR make a play for you!!! Now we are calling some big boy plays.

The run game and the threat of Spiller will afford us those opportunities in the pass game and we HAVE to capitalize on them.

Edited by PDaDdy

225/yes. Something tells me passing yards will be easier to come by for TE this season with defenses needing to focus more on Spiller. Obviously this is based on what we saw in preseason, but if it continues, play action will be there all day long. As previously stated by Mr Barker, the bigger concern is just how many yards their rushing attack rolls up on us!

Edited by transient

I think it will start off slow with a few screens to keep the fins from blitzing everydown. I think we run heavily and try or if not hit Evans deep after the second or third drive. We show many different run formations with a few screens to bring the secondary up and cheat a little and smack them in the mouth on deep route. I think Spiller will have many negative yards to start because they will push him out, and he will have a big break for about 30+ yards and take it to the house. Parrish will have a great day with about 100+ yards because he will be picked up by the LB's who won't be able to run with him. Out TE's will have a small part because they will be held in to help the line and give way to a run package. We will pick apart Henne and show he is the one who sucks not Trent. Trent will get sacked a few times, but has a great day running the offense to a 180 yds passing and 3 tds, (parrish with 2 and Evans 1) Spiller has 1 TD and our Defense generates a pick and Lynch drives home a td in short yardage.Miami has a good run and gets 120+ yds running with 3 tds and a play action pass with a td on a slant. Final

Buffalo 35 Miami 28......

The bottom line this year, is that the fate of the game(s) doesn't live and die in Trents hands. We are going to be a run heavy offense that will rely on Trent to play within a system that he is very capable of. Our success lies within our play calling and gameday adjustments which have been lacking the last few years. I billeve that at the very least we can expect our playmakers on offense (Lee, C.J., Roscoe, Freddy, Beast Mode) to get the ball in their hands a lot, and at tht point the stats should take care of themselves. The new coaching staff has finally given me some optimism. I'm not saying we're going to win the division, but I do think we're gonna smash the dolphins come Sunday and finally gain some respect.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!

I think if we run for 125+ yards, and Edwards is something like 14 of 21 for 180, we will be in the game at the end. But we have to win the turnover battle and play better special teams than we saw in the pre-season. This team will live and die on ball control and field position.

I voted for 200+ but I do think Trent can do better. I can't wait for his 1st 300+ game, he should be able to do it this year if the Oline can stay healthy and keep him healthy. If he would have played 4quarters in the Cinncy game (I know preseason but still) he would have had it.

Just last season Derek Anderson beat us with 27 yards.

So, he needs at least that.

I highly doubt that this coaching staff will lose if the opposing team passes for 27 yards...Only a Dickless Jauron coached team is capable of that pathetic feat.

Edited by Azucho98

Guest dog14787

I voted for 200+ but I do think Trent can do better. I can't wait for his 1st 300+ game, he should be able to do it this year if the Oline can stay healthy and keep him healthy. If he would have played 4quarters in the Cinncy game (I know preseason but still) he would have had it.

With our RB situation and a proven play caller in Chan Gailey,little dump offs and screen plays are going to wrack up huge yardage in my opinion. Passing yardage can be misleading, Brady throws for over 300 yards chances are he's hitting Moss for huge chunks of yardage. TE could accumulate the same totals with the talented legs of CJ Spiller

I expect TE to break the 300 yard mark within the first four games if preseason is any indication.

Edited by dog14787