Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

Fifth and final season starts Sunday night. From what I've read, its set in 1931. Seven years is skipping over alot of story. Like Capone's rise to boss of Chicago and the assassination of Rothstein (one of my favorite characters). Not to mention how Luciano earned the nickname "Lucky"

You may get your wish, at least the second part of it. 1931 was a big year for Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky. I'm kind of thinking that after Boardwalk Empire wraps up, a Luciano/Lansky spinoff may be in the works.

That 7 year gap is also enough time to squeeze in another spinoff based on Capone, Eli, and Van Alden

Great scene where Lucky does the blood bonding with the other family bosses .Start of the commission. To many flash backs though.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I really don't get the idea of a pre-programed end of a show. Gunsmoke lasted what, 20 years?

Gunsmoke was episodic, Empire is heavily serialized. That makes it much harder to write without knowing what your ending is, or when you're allowed to get there. It's creatively debilitating, and less satisfying for the audience as other shows have demonstrated over recent years, for creators to tackle a serialized story without an end in sight.

Not to mention the caliber of actors attached to the show can't, and wouldn't, do endless seasons of the show. They want to do other things.

Gunsmoke was episodic, Empire is heavily serialized. That makes it much harder to write without knowing what your ending is, or when you're allowed to get there. It's creatively debilitating, and less satisfying for the audience as other shows have demonstrated over recent years, for creators to tackle a serialized story without an end in sight.

Not to mention the caliber of actors attached to the show can't, and wouldn't, do endless seasons of the show. They want to do other things.

I understand what you mean, but unlike gun smoke this is based on real history. Capone has treasury after him. Joe Kennedy has been introduced. Lucky is involved in forming the 5 families, Lansky is moving into Cuba. This is not a made up story but real event's. It doesn't have to have a conclusion. We all Know the end right up to today. But it is interesting to see personality's put on these names.

I understand what you mean, but unlike gun smoke this is based on real history. Capone has treasury after him. Joe Kennedy has been introduced. Lucky is involved in forming the 5 families, Lansky is moving into Cuba. This is not a made up story but real event's. It doesn't have to have a conclusion. We all Know the end right up to today. But it is interesting to see personality's put on these names.

I hear you, I do. But dramatically speaking, you need a conclusion. More than that, in TV today you really need to stick the landing or else suffer the wrath of the fans (look at the reaction to virtually every show in the past decade outside of Breaking Bad and you'll see how irate fans can get if they feel shorted).

I hear you, I do. But dramatically speaking, you need a conclusion. More than that, in TV today you really need to stick the landing or else suffer the wrath of the fans (look at the reaction to virtually every show in the past decade outside of Breaking Bad and you'll see how irate fans can get if they feel shorted).

I understand what you are saying. I am not certain, however, why Boardwalk is ending right now though.

It almost feels like HBO wanted to pull the plug, and then just threw the producers a bone and gave them 8 hours to tie everything up. Like, I just wonder if, at the end of season four, they knew it was going to end. Just doesn't feel that way. I still enjoy it, but, for instance, the whole saga of Chalky, which had so brilliantly built up, seems to have just fizzled, as they jump 7 years into the future. I mean, it makes sense that they would have it end with the the alchohol ban lifted, but the slower, deliberate pace of the show just kind of makes this last season seem kind of forced. Like a different kind of story telling...I also find the flashback scenes a little incongrous to the style of the show. It's almost like they had to add this "young Nucky" story-line, just to speed up a heavy point that they had been building up to...namely, how Nucky became the way he was.

Mind you, I am still enjoying the show....it is so well made, it is hard not to enjoy it. Just makes me sad to see what I think of as a great show, getting the short shrift in the end.

I understand what you are saying. I am not certain, however, why Boardwalk is ending right now though.

It almost feels like HBO wanted to pull the plug, and then just threw the producers a bone and gave them 8 hours to tie everything up. Like, I just wonder if, at the end of season four, they knew it was going to end. Just doesn't feel that way. I still enjoy it, but, for instance, the whole saga of Chalky, which had so brilliantly built up, seems to have just fizzled, as they jump 7 years into the future. I mean, it makes sense that they would have it end with the the alchohol ban lifted, but the slower, deliberate pace of the show just kind of makes this last season seem kind of forced. Like a different kind of story telling...I also find the flashback scenes a little incongrous to the style of the show. It's almost like they had to add this "young Nucky" story-line, just to speed up a heavy point that they had been building up to...namely, how Nucky became the way he was.

Mind you, I am still enjoying the show....it is so well made, it is hard not to enjoy it. Just makes me sad to see what I think of as a great show, getting the short shrift in the end.

I can't speak to the show itself because I'm behind (Season 2), I jumped in mainly to discuss the creative benefits to giving a show a defined ending more than to discuss the actual show (since I'm a know-nothing).

But in terms of your feeling that HBO wanted to pull the plug, that's more than likely the case since the show itself hasn't reached the critical acclaim and viewership that I'm sure they hoped for with a Marty / Terrance Winter show. HBO has a long development slate, I've heard it's 4 years deep and most of those have A+ list talent attached behind and in front of the camera. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the decision to pull the plug came from HBO rather than the creatives, but at least HBO is giving them a farewell season, which is why it's probably the number one place writers and show runners want to work.

I can't speak to the show itself because I'm behind (Season 2), I jumped in mainly to discuss the creative benefits to giving a show a defined ending more than to discuss the actual show (since I'm a know-nothing).

But in terms of your feeling that HBO wanted to pull the plug, that's more than likely the case since the show itself hasn't reached the critical acclaim and viewership that I'm sure they hoped for with a Marty / Terrance Winter show. HBO has a long development slate, I've heard it's 4 years deep and most of those have A+ list talent attached behind and in front of the camera. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the decision to pull the plug came from HBO rather than the creatives, but at least HBO is giving them a farewell season, which is why it's probably the number one place writers and show runners want to work.

:thumbsup: Yeah. I know, the show probalby isn't near the ratings grabber that they anticipated...but I still think it is excellent. I think it started out a bit slow, so it didn't retain a solid audience. I remember watching season one, a second time, in about a week and a half, and it seemed much more cohesive that way. I think seasons 2, 3 and 4 were really great.

Edited by Buftex

:thumbsup: Yeah. I know, the show probalby isn't near the ratings grabber that they anticipated...but I still think it is excellent. I think it started out a bit slow, so it didn't retain a solid audience. I remember watching season one, a second time, in about a week and a half, and it seemed much more cohesive that way. I think seasons 2, 3 and 4 were really great.

I wonder sometimes when I'm watching if the show is less appealing to others that don't have my long standing interest in 20's-30's gangsters. Everyone has heard of Capone but how many know Joe Masseria [One of my favorite characters- if he doesn't look and talk like a Sicilian gangster who does?] was real and killed just as depicted? I almost watch the show as a historical reenactment , fleshing out people and events I've read about for years, then as a pure made up story.

Personally I am one of the few that laughed at the breaking bad ending. A M60 mounted on a wind shield wiper motor? What? But I get your point though it may be difficult to retain this quality cast. I doubt Clint Eastwood would have liked to have spent his entire career on rawhide. Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Personally I am one of the few that laughed at the breaking bad ending. A M60 mounted on a wind shield wiper motor? What? But I get your point though it may be difficult to retain this quality cast. I doubt Clint Eastwood would have liked to have spent his entire career on rawhide.

Check this out Jim...

I wonder sometimes when I'm watching if the show is less appealing to others that don't have my long standing interest in 20's-30's gangsters. Everyone has heard of Capone but how many know Joe Masseria [One of my favorite characters- if he doesn't look and talk like a Sicilian gangster who does?] was real and killed just as depicted? I almost watch the show as a historical reenactment , fleshing out people and events I've read about for years, then as a pure made up story.

Masseria and Rothstein were my two favorites on the show as well...gonna see little, if anything from either the rest of the way.

I'm looking forward to the Luciano/Maranzano storyline. Luciano could be his own series

And Masseria, I dunno if you're watching Sons of Anarchy. But the actor who played Masseria showed up this season as one of the Mayans (Hispanic biker if you're not familiar with SoA)