Bill Simmons article

milehiLou

You gotta read this excerpt from a recent Bill Simmons article on ESPN.

(Quick Tebow tangent: After watching football for 35 years, I now believe the QB Success Pie Chart is something like 65 percent confidence/leadership/poise/coolness/intelligence, 20 percent accuracy/arm strength, 5 percent athletic ability and 10 percent toughness/balls/heart. That means Tebow is already 80 percent home. Throw in his marquee value and I believe Jacksonville fans and Buffalo fans will be very bitter by December. Of course, at least one Buffalo fan just read that and said: "Wait a second, I'm bitter every December. Are you saying I'm going to be more bitter than usual? Last December I sucker-punched a Jets fan outside Ralph Wilson Stadium just because he seemed a little too proud of his Sanchez jersey, then I ripped off the jersey and repeatedly drove over it with my snowplow as 150 Buffalo fans cheered me on. I'm going to be more bitter than that?" Yes.)

for an "expert" to think that tim tebow will be better than any of the qbs on buffalos current roster, is a joke....and i believe we beat the jets, and most of us know sanchez sucks (again no better than our qb situation, probably replaced by brunnell by mid season)

i was bitter for a while, when the front office extended jaurons contract after three consecutive seasons of losing, but disappointed would surely be a better word for the teams success.

finally, bills fans dont sucker punch, we square up and say "hey arsehole, nice jersey....how bout them jersey jets?....then we would punch. at least thats how i would do it, but bill simmons, i might sucker punch you.

for an "expert" to think that tim tebow will be better than any of the qbs on buffalos current roster, is a joke....and i believe we beat the jets, and most of us know sanchez sucks (again no better than our qb situation, probably replaced by brunnell by mid season)

Can we just quit with the whole "expert" thing? Bill Simmons doesn't call himself an expert. He's a fan who writes a column for the purposes of entertainment, and he has never represented himself as anything else. Okay?

for an "expert" to think that tim tebow will be better than any of the qbs on buffalos current roster, is a joke....

First, IMO a guy who primarily writes about the NBA and reality TV is far from an 'expert' on QBs. I notice his formula doesn't include "ability to read a pro defense". The reason why Manning and Brady are cool and poised is because they know exactly what they are seeing when they look downfield.

Second, Tebow may very well end up better than our current crop of QBs, but that's only because we don't have a good one and it doesn't mean we should made a very risky pick on Tebow when we had so many other holes on the team that needed to be addressed.

Can we just quit with the whole "expert" thing? Bill Simmons doesn't call himself an expert. He's a fan who writes a column for the purposes of entertainment, and he has never represented himself as anything else. Okay?

but its ok for him to misrepresent you and i though Okaaay.

First, IMO a guy who primarily writes about the NBA and reality TV is far from an 'expert' on QBs. I notice his formula doesn't include "ability to read a pro defense". The reason why Manning and Brady are cool and poised is because they know exactly what they are seeing when they look downfield.

Second, Tebow may very well end up better than our current crop of QBs, but that's only because we don't have a good one and it doesn't mean we should made a very risky pick on Tebow when we had so many other holes on the team that needed to be addressed.

Simmons is like GBeck, but with a MUCH smaller audience. You can like him or hate him, but to give him any credence as an expert on any topic is putting undue pressure on the guy. He's entertainment and that's all. Sometimes you'll agree, sometimes you'll disagree, sometimes you'll laugh, sometimes you'll see a grander truth behind his ravings, sometimes you'll think he's an idiot - or just plain crazy . . .

Believe what you believe, but don't stress over BS!

:devil:

See what I did there? ;) ;) nudge, nudge

all of the qbs on buffalos roster are better this year, which is the point i was making, however being in denver and seeing tebow alot, he wont be better than brian brohm is right now.

i never called him an expert on qbs, as you tried to say that for me, i called him an "expert".....if your page on espn is called the sports guy, you can be considered an expert, IMO

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index'>http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index

what he says about our qb situation means nothing to me, however he insinuates that bills fans are felons because of bitterness due to lack of good football, that is not something you write since "sarcasm" does not translate to print.

and finally i will refrain from putting you and one of the holes needing to be addressed on the team in the joke i had for all of us. im sure you know what i meant to say (you always do!)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index

thats "expert" status, sorry.

Edited by milehiLou

(Quick Tebow tangent: After watching football for 35 years, I now believe the QB Success Pie Chart is something like 65 percent confidence/leadership/poise/coolness/intelligence, 20 percent accuracy/arm strength, 5 percent athletic ability and 10 percent toughness/balls/heart. That means Tebow is already 80 percent home. Throw in his marquee value and I believe Jacksonville fans and Buffalo fans will be very bitter by December. Of course, at least one Buffalo fan just read that and said: "Wait a second, I'm bitter every December. Are you saying I'm going to be more bitter than usual? Last December I sucker-punched a Jets fan outside Ralph Wilson Stadium just because he seemed a little too proud of his Sanchez jersey, then I ripped off the jersey and repeatedly drove over it with my snowplow as 150 Buffalo fans cheered me on. I'm going to be more bitter than that?" Yes.)

i was bitter for a while, when the front office extended jaurons contract after three consecutive seasons of losing, but disappointed would surely be a better word for the teams success.

finally, bills fans dont sucker punch, we square up and say "hey arsehole, nice jersey....how bout them jersey jets?....then we would punch. at least thats how i would do it, but bill simmons, i might sucker punch you.

That made me laugh.

First of all, we did--about 4 days ago, right here on TBD. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118447-espns-bill-simmons-on-trent-edwards/

Second, Simmons doesn't offer himself as a football expert, just a commentator.

Third, if reading the popular press's accounts of the Bills disturbs you so easily, I suggest you stop reading.

IMO Simmons is jumping the gun on Tebow. The media should let Tebow get a few snaps in a live NFL game before giving him a happy ending the Farve Treatment.

His hypothetical comments about Bills fans don't bother me. He's made his living being a smartass so I don't take it personally.

BTW, if anyone is likely to get drunk and sucker punch people, it's his fellow chowderheads after they watch that Patriots' defense this year.

First of all, we did--about 4 days ago, right here on TBD. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118447-espns-bill-simmons-on-trent-edwards/

Second, Simmons doesn't offer himself as a football expert, just a commentator.

Third, if reading the popular press's accounts of the Bills disturbs you so easily, I suggest you stop reading.

gee whiz, sorry if i dont stay here on two bills drive and geek out all day everyday.....

and actually a friend who works on a cruise line sent me an email that had just read it. (merely copied and pasted the whole email he sent me)

and what disturbs me is not what he said about the bills, they all say that crap, i was stating that i dont like to be called a felonious jerk because my team didnt do well again this year, saying you or i would purposefully suckerpunch a jets fan because of his jersey choice. please dont comment until you have read the OP. and if my posts disturb you so much, dont read them.

also never called him a football expert, just an "expert" with his own espn website, so if i called him a "sportswriter" would you STFU?

Edited by milehiLou

gee whiz, sorry if i dont stay here on two bills drive and geek out all day everyday.....

and actually a friend who works on a cruise line sent me an email that had just read it.

and what disturbs me is not what he said about the bills, they all say that crap, i was stating that i dont like to be called a felonious jerk because my team didnt do well again this year, saying you or i would purposefully suckerpunch a jets fan because of his jersey choice. please dont comment until you have read the OP. and if my posts disturb you so much, dont read them.

also never called him a football expert, just an "expert", so if i called him a "sportswriter" would you STFU?

You can stop now.

Actually, I think Tebow was the QB the Bills coveted most in the this year's draft (other than Sam Bradford, whom they had no chance of getting) and probably would've 'pulled the trigger' had he been there in round 2 (definitely in round 3). The other guy I think they liked was Skelton, but apparently thought they could get him in the 6th or 7th rounds - then had to settle for Levi Brown.

And, BTW, unless Brohm comes around like I'm hoping, yes I think Tebow will ultimately be better than our current crop or QBs.

Edited by The Senator

my whole point is that people who write articles on sports on their espn2 website (is that better whiners?) are not only bashing the bills for so many reasons, now they are bashing the fans in hypothetical fictional scenarios.

sorry if i called someone who makes a living by writing sports articles an expert, totally my bad. its funny how you all pick on something completely unrelated to the subject of the post and bash the sheet out of it....

10-6 suck on that

Edited by milehiLou