Bills signed TE David Martin and claimed G Kraig Urbik off waivers fro

Stussy109

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice signings! Martin has always been a pair of reliable hands and isn't afraid to go over the middle. I like the idea of bringing him in and getting some inside information on the Fins.

The Urbik pick really makes me happy though, leading up to the 2009 Draft I thought the best guard prospects were Levitre and Urbik. Turns out we get them both!

PS: I dont think the Bills are done yet. If I were Cary Harris, I'd be worried...

Cary Harris can go back to the PS too or Antonio Coleman. Lot of young players with potential who can be stashed there.

Very nice signings! Martin has always been a pair of reliable hands and isn't afraid to go over the middle. I like the idea of bringing him in and getting some inside information on the Fins.

The Urbik pick really makes me happy though, leading up to the 2009 Draft I thought the best guard prospects were Levitre and Urbik. Turns out we get them both!

PS: I dont think the Bills are done yet. If I were Cary Harris, I'd be worried...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Rotoworld is saying Urbik could be a nice pickup for the Bills!

I sure hope that's true. The line, in my opinion, could use some work!

Here's some perspective from the Pittsburgh media:

Urbik took a more traditional route to the Steelers, but cutting him couldn't have been any easier for Colbert and Tomlin than releasing Logan had been, though for different reasons.

The Steelers selected Urbik with the first of their three third-round picks in 2009.

Releasing the Wisconsin product was a tacit admission by Colbert and Tomlin that they had blundered when using such an early draft pick on Urbik.

But it also reinforced the message that high draft picks get one year on scholarship on the South Side, and that is it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports

/steelers/s_698081.html

Scouting/drafting is not a science, as I heard Chuck Noll say. It’s why third-round picks such as Kraig Urbik and Bruce Davis wash out so quickly. The Steelers aren’t the only ones making these “mistakes,’’ it goes with the territory. However, I always laughed at various team scouts and personnel men through the years who belittled Mel Kiper over various rankings and statements he’d make or evaluations. His record is no worse than many teams doing the drafting, only he gets paid by offering his opinions about it.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104791-ed-a-closer-look-at-the-rostercuts

love this line from that link:

--- I’m going to go way out on a limb and predict that none of the Steelers cuts will wind up on another team’s 53-man roster today.

:D

I really have nothing to say about the TE situation, other than I hope to god we don't ever need to rely on this Martin guy, and in 4 weeks he can be gone.

Ummm...

David Martin is now the BEST TE on the roster. He is a solid, all-around tight end.

He was very good with the Packers and has been pretty good with the Dolphins too. I like this addition. :thumbsup:

He was very good with the Packers and has been pretty good with the Dolphins too. I like this addition. :thumbsup:

:huh:

I don't remember him being that great. And he's got Robert Royal numbers.

I'm glad we picked him up, he's obviously better than that Foschi character, but realistically, Stupar has to have more upside, and when Nelson comes back this guy is going to have to take a backseat.

Ummm...

David Martin is now the BEST TE on the roster. He is a solid, all-around tight end.

I respectfully disagree. Stupar is a solid TE with admittedly a short resume, but he looks to be an above average receiver. To me he's clearly better than the aging and coming off of IR Martin.

On the Packers and Dolphins comment I think you have it backwards. He was ok with the Packers and pretty good with the Dolphins. He had 87 catches for 766 yds in 6 years with the Packers, and 65 catches for 753 yds in 2 years with Miami (not counting the 3rd year 2009 with Miami).

He's got 4 weeks to prove to the coaches he should be on the team beyond that.

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart