Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

To each his own and I very rarely bash on people for music they like or don't like because I understand that. I don't like what some people like and a lot of people don't like what I like. Having said that I saw them for the first time this weekend. One of the best !@#$ing live shows I've seen. If the music got me up and dancing it says a lot because I don't dance. There's a big difference to listening to something on the radio and seeing it with several thousand other fans who are very into it. I'm real big on the whole jam band thing and having played in a jam band I can appreciate the fact that they can improvise so much. It's funny you hate a 5 minute song that turns into a 15 minute jam, well I'm the other way around. I hate 5 minute songs and prefer a 45 minute long jam from one song to another to another and then back to the original song. One of the things I just found out is they actually write the second set during the intermission. It's based on what they feel the crowd that night would like. That is amazing.

Marginally talented?? What instrument do you play?

I gave a report over the weekend. It's here someplace.

Thanks. I'll search.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own and I very rarely bash on people for music they like or don't like because I understand that. I don't like what some people like and a lot of people don't like what I like. Having said that I saw them for the first time this weekend. One of the best !@#$ing live shows I've seen. If the music got me up and dancing it says a lot because I don't dance. There's a big difference to listening to something on the radio and seeing it with several thousand other fans who are very into it. I'm real big on the whole jam band thing and having played in a jam band I can appreciate the fact that they can improvise so much. It's funny you hate a 5 minute song that turns into a 15 minute jam, well I'm the other way around. I hate 5 minute songs and prefer a 45 minute long jam from one song to another to another and then back to the original song. One of the things I just found out is they actually write the second set during the intermission. It's based on what they feel the crowd that night would like. That is amazing.

Marginally talented?? What instrument do you play?

I don't mind long songs or jam bands; hell my Ipod is loaded with String Cheese Incident, Galactic, Yonder Mountain, Gov't Mule, Keller Williams, Umphrey's McGee and such. But if you're going to play something for 10+ minutes, at least do it with originality, passion or a unique display of skill. Every time I hear the Panic, it always sounds to me like they're just going through the motions. The real reason that I put them in the overrated category (aside from having some fun messing with you:-) is that they are the #2 most frequently played band on my favorite XM channel, yet there's always dozens of other musicians I'd much rather hear. Glad you enjoyed the show though; maybe seeing them up close and live is a far superior experience than always hearing them in my truck.

As for me, I've played the guitar, the mandolin, the harmonica and the congas over the years, none of them with any real skill. But I don't have to be an NFL LB to know that Kelsay is nothing more than a serviceable player.

I don't mind long songs or jam bands; hell my Ipod is loaded with String Cheese Incident, Galactic, Yonder Mountain, Gov't Mule, Keller Williams, Umphrey's McGee and such. But if you're going to play something for 10+ minutes, at least do it with originality, passion or a unique display of skill. Every time I hear the Panic, it always sounds to me like they're just going through the motions. The real reason that I put them in the overrated category (aside from having some fun messing with you:-) is that they are the #2 most frequently played band on my favorite XM channel, yet there's always dozens of other musicians I'd much rather hear. Glad you enjoyed the show though; maybe seeing them up close and live is a far superior experience than always hearing them in my truck.

As for me, I've played the guitar, the mandolin, the harmonica and the congas over the years, none of them with any real skill. But I don't have to be an NFL LB to know that Kelsay is nothing more than a serviceable player.

The reason I asked if you played an instrument was because I have a hard time believing that someone that plays an instrument calls they guys marginal musicians.

I cannot stand Kiss. After reading about people attacking his internet site I remembered how much I cannot stand him. Chaim is a world class a-hole. He make a joke about homosexual rape in prisons - with all that is going on right now, that's pretty stupid.