Are you drafting Spiller in for your fantasy team?

beggar13

We had our draft this past Sunday. I think I could have gotten him in the sixth round (I was pick #7 in a 12 man draft), but after his performance on Saturday night, I didn't want to risk not getting him and took him in the fifth round. I also picked up Lee Evans in the 11th round. Those are the only two Bills that made my roster. Fred Jackson went in the top of the eight, and Lynch went in the bottom of the 15th. That's the only Bills that got drafted. If Edwards keeps targeting Parrish and he is returning punts and kicks, I might pick him up as a bench player at some point.

Anyway, would you pick Spiller, and if so, what round would you target him?

Any other Bills you would pick up? This is how my draft went:

1. (7) Andre Johnson

2. (18) Shonn Greene

3. (31) Miles Austin

4. (42) Tony Romo

5. (55) C.J. Spiller

6. (66) Brent Celek

7. (79) Ricky Williams

8. (90) Ben Tate

9. (103) Laurence Maroney

10. (114) Pittsburgh

11. (127) Lee Evans

12. (138) Willis McGahee

13. (151) Rob Bironas

14. (162) Devin Hester

15. (175) Toby Gerhart

16. (186) Mark Sanchez

17. (199) Mike Bell

I am weak the the RB position, but have the best WR corps in the league. Drafting in the middle of the pack is the worst. I don't expect much out of this season which is why I decided to try the WR approach to see how it works out. In such a pass happy league, I figured it was worth a shot. And yes, I screwed the pooch with my Ben Tate pick. I was not aware at the time that he was out for the season.

Lastly, in every scenario and mock draft I ran, I never had Shonn Greene. I was always able to pull Manning with my second pick. That didn't work out and I had to scramble quick. I don't know much about the kid except man are calling for him to be a bust. We'll see. It's a win, win either way I guess.

Edited by beggar13

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our draft this past Sunday. I think I could have gotten him in the sixth round (I was pick #7 in a 12 man draft), but after his performance on Saturday night, I didn't want to risk not getting him and took him in the fifth round. I also picked up Lee Evans in the 11th round. Those are the only two Bills that made my roster. Fred Jackson went in the top of the eight, and Lynch went in the bottom of the 15th. That's the only Bills that got drafted. If Edwards keeps targeting Parrish and he is returning punts and kicks, I might pick him up as a bench player at some point.

1. (7) Andre Johnson

2. (18) Shonn Greene

3. (31) Miles Austin

4. (42) Tony Romo

5. (55) C.J. Spiller

6. (66) Brent Celek

7. (79) Ricky Williams

8. (90) Ben Tate

10. (114) Pittsburgh

11. (127) Lee Evans

12. (138) Willis McGahee

13. (151) Rob Bironas

14. (162) Devin Hester

15. (175) Toby Gerhart

16. (186) Mark Sanchez

17. (199) Mike Bell

I am weak the the RB position, but have the best WR corps in the league. Drafting in the middle of the pack is the worst. I don't expect much out of this season which is why I decided to try the WR approach to see how it works out. In such a pass happy league, I figured it was worth a shot. And yes, I screwed the pooch with my Ben Tate pick. I was not aware at the time that he was out for the season.

Lastly, in every scenario and mock draft I ran, I never had Shonn Greene. I was always able to pull Manning with my second pick. That didn't work out and I had to scramble quick. I don't know much about the kid except man are calling for him to be a bust. We'll see. It's a win, win either way I guess.

i took him in the 6th round of a 10 team league. its a keeper league so i am happy with my pick

Wow nice wideouts :) I have Miles Austin, Shonn Green and Lee Evans on my team too. We had our draft a week and a half ago. 8 team league. Normally we have 10 teams. This was before people saw much preseason footage of Spiller. I was lucky to pick him up in the 13th round. When I made my pick I said aloud "This is my ultimate boom or bust pick. But I'm thinking boom!" :)

I like the team, but you need more RB depth. Maybe trade a WR for them?

BTW, I like Spiller as a #2 RB in a PPR, but when he's been taken there's been other, more sure things available in my drafts.

Edited by BlueFire

It's a good team, but you need more RB depth. Ben Tate's out for most of the year.

Believe me, I know. It's the price I am paying for taking Johnson and Miles in the first and third. The Ben Tate pick killed me. Even with that being said, I rank fourth in my league out of the twelve players in regards to projected points. The only chance I have in hell of having a decent season is if Spiller is successful, and my main starting RBs stay healthy.

If it's a PPR league, I don't think it's a bad move. I'd put him lower on my board if it wasn't PPR.

My league is PPR, so I'm seriously thinking about taking him by round 4 of nobody else does...but that depends if I have a solid WR, RB, & QB already.

i'm targeting spiller. i'm in the middle of the pack in a weeklong draft. round one hasnt ended yet but i got andre johnson 6th overall. i know the other players' tendencies so i think i can get brees mendenhall wells and boldin. but also who the hell knows. i may take a te after or spiller depending whos available.

spiller has been jumping up a ton of online projections. i have a feeling the other owners in my league may avoid spiller (at least early on) in order to avoid the ribbing. we all love the bills but pick one and you won't hear the end of it. lee evans is like gonorrhea. he's burned almost everyone.

beggar - is that a ppr league?

My draft is tomorrow, and I have the #10 pick in a 10-team league. I'm thinking of taking him in the 4th round on the snake, because I worry that he won't be there by end of 5th.

i had the 12th in a 12 team lg last year. i wanted to kill myself during the draft, but i wound up in third place. it just felt awful like i was reaching every pick.

Spiller is a dynamic player, but my rule #1 in fantasy football is to avoid bad offenses like the plague, when it comes to drafting your starters. I got Sam Bradford for $5 in my big money keeper league, but other than that I won't touch the Bills, Seahawks, Browns, Bucs, and Rams.

My running backs in my one league are Ryan Matthews and Jonathan Stewart, and in the other league they're Ray Rice and Shonn Greene.

I was considering pulling the trigger in the 7th rd in my draft last night (10 team/non-PPR). But he went 1 pick before mine (#74). I think that was a bit early. But sometimes that works out because he could get more touches as the year goes on. If you plan on being in the playoffs, he could be a gem by week 15.

I ended up getting Fred Jackson in the 10th. So I mean, I like the idea of having the STARTER 3 rounds after the current 3rd stringer (although obviously that can change).

Edited by bartshan-83

1. (7) Andre Johnson

2. (18) Shonn Greene

3. (31) Miles Austin

4. (42) Tony Romo

5. (55) C.J. Spiller

6. (66) Brent Celek

7. (79) Ricky Williams

8. (90) Ben Tate

10. (114) Pittsburgh

11. (127) Lee Evans

12. (138) Willis McGahee

13. (151) Rob Bironas

14. (162) Devin Hester

15. (175) Toby Gerhart

16. (186) Mark Sanchez

17. (199) Mike Bell

Why would you draft players from all three AFC East teams? How can you possibly root for those guys to do well?

My number one rule is to never draft a player from a rival team.

i'm targeting spiller. i'm in the middle of the pack in a weeklong draft. round one hasnt ended yet but i got andre johnson 6th overall. i know the other players' tendencies so i think i can get brees mendenhall wells and boldin. but also who the hell knows. i may take a te after or spiller depending whos available.

spiller has been jumping up a ton of online projections. i have a feeling the other owners in my league may avoid spiller (at least early on) in order to avoid the ribbing. we all love the bills but pick one and you won't hear the end of it. lee evans is like gonorrhea. he's burned almost everyone.

beggar - is that a ppr league?

Here's the scoring breakdown for our league:

Offense

Passing Yards 25 yards per point

Passing Touchdowns 4

Interceptions -2

Rushing Yards 10 yards per point

Rushing Touchdowns 6

Reception Yards 10 yards per point

Reception Touchdowns 6

Return Touchdowns 6

2-Point Conversions 2

Fumbles Lost -2

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Kickers

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5

Point After Attempt Made 1

Defense/Special Teams

Sack 1

Interception 2

Fumble Recovery 2

Touchdown 6

Safety 2

Block Kick 2

Kickoff and Punt Return TDs 6

Points Allowed 0 points 10

Points Allowed 1-6 points 7

Points Allowed 7-13 points 4

Points Allowed 14-20 points 1

Points Allowed 21-27 points 0

Points Allowed 28-34 points -1

Points Allowed 35+ points -4

We don't have a draft, we do an auction format. It's a 12 man league, 14 roster spots, 4 keepers. Everyone starts with $50, and then you get an extra dollar for each position you finished. (ie: Superbowl winner gets $51, last place team gets $62).

This is the second year, so there weren't many studs out there to grab. I had $53 (so close to the money...), and picked up Spiller for $14. Not too bad, considering Matthews (SD) went for $25, and Pierre Thomas and LeSean McCoy also went for $14. it was a bit more than I was planning to spend, but it worked out.

It's not a PPR league, but I still think his explosiveness could come in handy. Plus, if he starts showing good things, I can use him as a keeper, knock on wood.

The downside is that I have Steven Jackson as my other starter -- so both of my starters are on teams that traditionally haven't put up many points.

I think Spiller is good pick 6th rnd or later. Think some people will reach on Spiller, based on performance.

My fear is that runs will get split between him, Jackson & lynch. now if 1 of those 2 get traded, spillers value shoots up.

and yeah, I avoid drafting rivals too, if possible.

i had the 12th in a 12 team lg last year. i wanted to kill myself during the draft, but i wound up in third place. it just felt awful like i was reaching every pick.

If it's a snake draft, I would much rather be at the end as opposed to in the middle. That's why I ended up taking Andre Johnson, because I didn't want to reach on picking Matthews or Mendenhall. I would have taken Gore if he was still there in the first though.

Why would you draft players from all three AFC East teams? How can you possibly root for those guys to do well?

My number one rule is to never draft a player from a rival team.

I completely understand, but seeing as we are playing for money, I had to draft for talent and need over how it's going to make me feel on game day. Believe me, if we are playing the Jets and Shonn Greene scores, I am not happy at all, but at the end of the day I am at least getting something back for it.