Tim Graham's Observations on the Game

This one had me wondering:

On that drive, the Bills showed off a little Wildcat. Spiller took the direct snap and ran 6 yards for a first down. In case you were wondering, Edwards remained on the field, split wide right.

Why do teams even bother with that? Does splitting the QB out wide actually make the defense think twice about anything?

This one had me wondering:

Why do teams even bother with that? Does splitting the QB out wide actually make the defense think twice about anything?

Its the element of surprise that the cat is coming. When the qb comes off, the defense can adjust and bring in big bodies otherwise. Also, regardless of whether he will do anything you must commit a man to cover him.

Its the element of surprise that the cat is coming. When the qb comes off, the defense can adjust and bring in big bodies otherwise. Also, regardless of whether he will do anything you must commit a man to cover him.

I hear what you are saying, but I think its a temporary thing and a gimmick at that.

As the Bills have said, you have to be able to throw out of the formation or else it will die real quick. Evans getting the TD last season against Tennessee from the Wildcat is case in point.

I don't like the formation, and hate the fact that the Dolphins were the ones to introduce it. Dolphins suck!

Tim was dead on about Special Teams and how they have disintegrated since DeHaven returned.

Woah, there speedy!

Let's not throw DeHaven out just yet. Try to remember that this is the PREseason, and Bruce is working with 3rd and 4th string bubble players to see if they have any value.

I also seem to notice, that since DeHaven has returned, our special teams are getting really close to blocking punts and field goals/ PAT's much more frequently. I'll take the blocked DeHaven kicks over any April goofery any days (well, those Denney TD's were nice).

I hear what you are saying, but I think its a temporary thing and a gimmick at that.

As the Bills have said, you have to be able to throw out of the formation or else it will die real quick. Evans getting the TD last season against Tennessee from the Wildcat is case in point.

I don't like the formation, and hate the fact that the Dolphins were the ones to introduce it. Dolphins suck!

Woah, there speedy!

Let's not throw DeHaven out just yet. Try to remember that this is the PREseason, and Bruce is working with 3rd and 4th string bubble players to see if they have any value.

I also seem to notice, that since DeHaven has returned, our special teams are getting really close to blocking punts and field goals/ PAT's much more frequently. I'll take the blocked DeHaven kicks over any April goofery any days (well, those Denney TD's were nice).

IDK, were those bubble players that let Pac Man run back a 50yd return on the first play of the game? Your right in theory, it is preseason, but I'm worried about the lack of coverage they have shown thus far.

Plus, I don't remember too many of those plays that didn't work, if any. Close to blocking a punt means nothing if it means that our returners are left to fend for themselves. With the talent we have back there, we havn't shown much in this area either.