Record this year, do you care?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want the Bills to win. I do.

But what really grinched me out about the last couple years wasn't the losses or the lack of playoffs (again)

It was the bad football: bad execution, sloppy play, players who seemed like they were "phoning it in". Just no fun to watch.

I hear a lot of talk about how many games will we win, both "over the top" optimist and pessimistic.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care (this year) what the W-L record is, AS LONG AS WE PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL AGAIN.

I want to see WR hustling and leaping on every ball. I want to see opponent WR getting the ball knocked out and getting flattened.

I want to see toes pointed and stretched back to try to come down in bounds.

I want to see hustling for the sidelines to stop the clock at the end of the game.

I don't want to see stupid penalties.

I do occasionally want to see a blatant hold if it keeps our QB from getting his bell rung backwards.

I want to see close games, with decent time of possession

At that point, a game can be won or lost by a handful of plays. Maybe they swing your way maybe you make a mistake or two or you catch a bad break.

As long as we hustle, execute, play hard all four quarters -- and have some fun in the game -- it will be an improvement to me, win or lose.

Anyone else?

But what really grinched me out about the last couple years wasn't the losses or the lack of playoffs (again)

It was the bad football: bad execution, sloppy play, players who seemed like they were "phoning it in". Just no fun to watch.

I hear a lot of talk about how many games will we win, both "over the top" optimist and pessimistic.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care (this year) what the W-L record is, AS LONG AS WE PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL AGAIN.

I want to see WR hustling and leaping on every ball. I want to see opponent WR getting the ball knocked out and getting flattened.

I want to see hustling for the sidelines to stop the clock at the end of the game.

I do occasionally want to see a blatant hold if it keeps our QB from getting his bell rung backwards.

At that point, a game can be won or lost by a handful of plays. Maybe they swing your way maybe you make a mistake or two or you catch a bad break.

As long as we hustle, execute, play hard all four quarters -- and have some fun in the game -- it will be an improvement to me, win or lose.

Anyone else?

Yep, I agree. If the Bills play the game the way it is supposed to be played, they can't help but improve on their winning percentage. If the effort is there and they don't improve their winning percentage, I can live with that (reluctantly). However, my patience is running low. I want to see this team get its share of wins. But you are absolutely correct -- it would be so nice to see the hustle and concern for the clock that you mention as important seconds tick away.

Anyone else?

I totally agree that the efforts and results over the past few seasons have been pathetic, but listen to any coach or player and they will tell you the only thing that matters in any professional sport is "Winning"-period.

Well, if they finish 6-10 again, how much better could they have played? Many have said that they were in almost every game last year and, a couple of breaks here and there...etc. Yet few look upon last year's record as promising.

Why would we do so this year if they finish with the same record?

There has to be an improvement in W-L. There is no other metric as satisfying.

I am one who believes that the Bills will be better this year.

Now, I must add, that I DON'T think that it will be necessarily by record that they will be better.

If the preseason has had any shred of indication, this will be a tougher, more disciplined, more physical bunch than any in the past decade. They are forging an identity. They will be adjusting to situations in games, and will not be predictable any more.

Providing that the intangibles such as injuries are managed/ don't occur, we could improve that win-loss record.

But we could also be good enough to compete with anybody but not good enough to get it done all the time. Lack of a consistent pass rushing threat and the uncertainty at LT are 2 of my big concerns.

So, I think that the Bills will be much more competitive, and in effect much more entertaining to watch this season. That alone will make me proud to be a Bills fan again and will have me excited about the future.

I just don't think it will translate into more wins.

I want us to be a tough out, at the very least.

If we have a lead in the 4th quarter, I want us to hang on.

I want our offense to be less predictable.

And I want the effort on the field to be tri-fold to what it's been in the past few years.

If we go 6-10, and we see signs of forward progress, I'm cool with that.

They need to bring some respectability back. Playing hard, and smart, will do that - regardless of the record.